PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Farnborough

Dit
4th Jul 2008, 21:50
Is it advisable? I live near the M40 so it's not too far to drive. Just looking for info about the state of play of the local roads and parking on the day.

Cheers

Pilotpaul787
5th Jul 2008, 11:48
We drove last time, although it was busy there were plenty of places to park so we are driving down again this year. :ok:

norwich
5th Jul 2008, 12:48
A group of us drove down from Norwich last time, followed signs to a very large 'free' car park, on a military looking sports field, boarded one of many 'free' shuttle buses ... no problems at all .... you just need to note the name of the car park and the number of the bus for the return journey ! I thought this was all organised very well. Keith.

dead_pan
5th Jul 2008, 21:00
We drove last year - traffic was pretty hellish once you have left the M3. Once parked up in the free car parks it was no problem getting on site with the free shuttle buses. Have decided to go by train this year - done this a number of times before with no problems.

Gulf4uk
6th Jul 2008, 08:50
hi

All the roads into FAB will be pretty chock a block but they are heavily policed
during the show. All round the field is controlled no parking tow away .
Town center park in carparks which are PAY DISPLAY even at weekends
Rail from Waterloo to FARNBOROUGH MAIN Free shuttle buses outside
Station into the Airfield. Trains every 20mins or so . TAXI this year Fixed
Rate if 2 or more share. All in all TRAIN is best bet .
on my profile is my show BLOG url

TONY
Farnborough local

philbky
6th Jul 2008, 09:31
2006, stayed with relatives in Fleet, within earshot of the airfield but, on the Wednesday, with no available transport and too far to walk, had to drive.

Left the house at 08.50 and due to traffic restrictions had to follow a particular route almost 3/4 round the airfield the wrong way. Arrived at the nearest available car park at 09.40 having queued on a dual carriageway in the wrong direction for 25 minutes before being directed around a roundabout to queue for another 15 minutes in the opposite direction to get into the car park.

Basically a 10 minute journey took 50 minutes and that on a trade day.

They seem to change the traffic arrangements every time so planning the route you took last time won't always work.

bakerpictures
7th Jul 2008, 11:27
I'm refusing to drive again after 06 so am looking at train options. There's a service every 30-odd minutes from Waterloo and it's only £13 for a day return. That's cheaper than the fuel and much more relaxing after a day traipsing round the bazaars. There's shuttles from the station too.

Richard