PDA

View Full Version : PPL (H) - ground school

Need money
4th Jul 2008, 11:09
Can anyone recommend how to study for Flight planning & Performance, and Principles of Flight for PPL(H).

I assume for PofF - I have the "Wagtendonk" book - so I guess read this - but I have no example Q's as to where the focus is - or type of questions (Confuser is PPL(A) specific so not much help !)

For planning & Perf - is there a specific PPL(H) Q paper - or is it fixed wing based - hence the confuser can guide me as to where I need to focus - though I think some of the Q's are probably similar to Nav in terms of fuel, weights, flight times etc - I love the Wizz Wheel :)

:bored:

Whirlygig
4th Jul 2008, 11:32
Wagtendonk is by far your best bet. As for a past papers, forget it! Ask your school if they have any; the school I went devised a few for each subject. The same goes for Flight planning and performance. It IS helicopter specific (as we don't have runways) so you can't use The Confuser.

I believe there is a Q&A book published by AirLife written by Dorothy Pooley (or whatever her name before she married) that has a helicopter section. There are also some Key Facts and Key Q&A which are helicopter based. These are aimed at CPL students but the standard isn't much different.

FP&P is a "catch-all" subject covering all aspects of flying not otherwise covered in any of the other papers. It is mainly common sense and much of it you will learn from your instructor. I did no work for it and winged it on the day with 78%.

Cheers

Whirls

Teeny word of advice. This forum is rarely inhabited by helicopter people so Rotorheads is always a better place to ask!!