PDA

View Full Version : how do you become a CPL/MEP/I.R instructor?

Vulcan607
3rd Jul 2008, 11:52
Hi there,

pretty much curious to know how you become an instructor for the 3 above mentioned courses?
I know for PPL instructing you do the F.I course, but for CPL and instrument rating instructing is it a totally seperate rating again or?????? could someone clarify?

Thanks

portsharbourflyer
3rd Jul 2008, 12:10
To teach single engine CPL you just need 200 hours instructional time and a standardisation with the school you are working for (also you need your restriction lifted). No additional rating as such.

If you hold an FI rating, then to teach IMC and /or IR you need to get the no applied instrument restriction lifted from your FI rating. The pre-entry requirements are 200 hours under IFR or 50 hours flight with sole reference to instruments and an unrestricted FI rating. To get the no applied instruments restriction lifted you will need to do a five hour course (minimum) and a skills test. To teach the IR you will probably then need to do a standardisation with the school you are working for.

There is a standalone IRI rating, for those that don't hold an FI rating, which will only allow them to teach the IR, this involves 10 hours flight training and also invloves additional ground school to cover instructional techniques. To do a standalone IRI I think you need 800 hours IFR time.

To add the multi instructor rating to an FI rating, you will need 30 hours p1 time in a MEP, 500 hours total (can't remember off the top of my head if it is 500 hours total or 500 instructional hours) and then do a five hour course in teaching multi engine flying, obvioulsy followed by a skills test.

There is a standalone MEP-CRI rating for those that don't hold a FI rating allowing you to teach MEP ratings only to licensed pilots, not sure on the requirements for that one, but it is a large amount of previous multi engine time.

Cost of FI rating is 6000
Cost of IR upgrade 1500-2000
Cost of multi time = 5000 (if building in the US)
Cost of MEI upgrade - 1500-2000.

Some schools were offering sponsorships for the MEI and IRI upgrades to unrestricted instructors. Also some schools may help you out with the multi engine hour building offer discounted hire rates.

OneIn60rule
3rd Jul 2008, 12:14
Applicating for an IRI(A) needs an IR(A).

Completed 800 hours flying under IFR, of which 400 shall be Pilot in Command.
Complete an approved course.
Pass relevant skill test with an FIExaminer(A).

For the Multi Engine FI-
hold a valid MEP rating.
Have 500 hours flight time as pilot of aeroplanes.
Have 30 hours as PIC of the TYPE you will teach on.
Complete an approved course at an approved FTOrganization.
Pass relevant skill test.

For the rights to teach CPL-
I can't recall, it's on pprune somewhere.

duveldrinker
3rd Jul 2008, 12:17
under JAR:
you need 200hrs IFR (50 hrs can be in FNPT2) to be able to take a course and a skill test to be allowed to teach for the IFR rating.

you need at least 10 hrs as PIC on ME-piston in the last 12 months to take a course and skill test to be allowed to teach for the ME class rating.

you do not need to take a seperate course to teach for the CPL, it is just a matter of instructional hours given, I think 500 but I am not 100%sure on this.

UK regulations might be a bit different, check out the ontrack website. You 'll find all this very clearly explained.
www.ontrackaviation.com (http://www.ontrackaviation.com)

Vulcan607
3rd Jul 2008, 12:21
thanks for the speedy replies guys!

a lot of work involved....as was expected. Crack on and get my CPL/MEP/I.R then possibly the F.I rating in a year or 2, but was just curious to know how you become an instructor for these courses.

Thanks

VFE
3rd Jul 2008, 16:12
Any clue as to which schools were offering the upgrade?

VFE.

bobhub
3rd Jul 2008, 17:55
Try Tayflite at Perth. A lot of changes going on and I know they are looking for more instructors.

They have a CAA examiner based on the field and appear to be able to offer all the services for instructors....

portsharbourflyer
3rd Jul 2008, 22:22
VFE,

I believe the Pilot Training College Moncton Canada are currently offering to upgrade instructors for the MEI.

Cabair six months back would also consider upgrading instructors through the MEI as well (actually PTC Moncton is now a Cabair school), not sure if they are at present though.