PDA

View Full Version : SQ Bonus in bank = hand letter of resignation in?

CDRW
2nd Jul 2008, 03:51
Been hearing that there are quite a few crew just waiting for the bonus to be in the bank, before handing in their resignation, and heading off to all parts of the world? Any thoughts that this might help with the current stalled CA negotiations?

expat400
3rd Jul 2008, 13:16
Do you really think anyone would leave SQ for another carrier?

I doubt it, what would they gain?

parabellum
4th Jul 2008, 00:00
That rumour used to abound every year of my ten with SIA around about bonus time but few, if any, pilots actually left. Some CC would wait for the bonus but turnover in that department was high anyway.

4PW's
4th Jul 2008, 06:11
Yeah, most hate it here....

It's just so unfair getting 6 months bonus, two years running, and lifestyle rostering, for those that want it, is such a challenge.

And the IRAS; that NOR thing is so harsh!

The training department are brutal, like at KAL. No-one knows what's coming next. We live in perpetual fear of the sim details. I hate that...

What about speaking English to everyone; I really wanted to practice my Mandarin. Now THAT'S unfair.

Don't you feel threatened walking the streets at night? Going to have to stop those late night visits to The Paramount. That place is scary.

And when we work, which isn't that often, it's never three or four pilots on the longer trips at the back of the clock. Noooo, we're working like they did in Air Europe Italy. We've even got to make the bunk after the in-flight rest.

Then we get to these AWFUL hotels in really uninteresting destinations where none of the laying-over crew ever go out together, break bread and have an ale or three.

Life here's a bitch, face it.

You owe it to yourself to move on.

Orangputi
4th Jul 2008, 07:45
4PW's good post not much else to say really, I think that you have something lacking in our world 'perspective' !

CDRW
4th Jul 2008, 08:23
Great to hear4PW. Sound like you are in heaven.

The 6 months bonus on salary is great - long may it live, or is it true that the company are trying to restrict it to a maximum of three months in the CA. And it is based on ones basic salary is it not?

NOR - super stuff for a few years and then its gone. True

The sim ride - good stuff - very structured and a 100% thorough. You will agree. Absolutely no surprises.

Streets are great to walk at any time of the night - particularly around Paramount and Orchard towers. Safe as houses.

And those hotels that SIA stay in around the world - are they not trying to change them to "boutique" hotels. Maybe that was just a rumour also.

And the new CA negotiations are going really well... are they not. Life is soooo good.

You owe it to yourself to stay and keep the economy going.

linksys
11th Jul 2008, 09:10
Dude....Seriously!

Where can they go?

:ok:

Please do not suggest the UAE because if so, then everyone should be
resigning soon, but no such thing.

portquartercv67
11th Jul 2008, 09:35
4PW's

A few questions if you don't mind that will perhaps give some perspective while reading your posts.

Without compromising your anonymity, could you let us know what kind of outfit(s) you worked for before coming to SIA Cargo? One's perspective of this job is very dependent on what one has for a basis of direct comparison. And, you have made frequent comments about the horrors of KAL training and their interview process. Do you have personal experience with KAL?

Thanks!

PQ

portquartercv67
11th Jul 2008, 09:44
I have heard of at least 6 whose departure from "SIA Cargo heaven" is imminent.

parabellum
11th Jul 2008, 12:00
Given the current price of fuel and the extent to which major airlines are already cutting back, (UAL and AA for example), with the likelihood that many, many smaller ones will follow, I would be holding on to my job with an established major that is still making a profit like grim death. A move now makes anyone the most junior in their new airline and therefore the most likely to be laid off or even have their job offer revoked after they have given notice to SIA. A good time to consolidate, try to look on the bright side and wait for the storm to pass, then move if you feel you really have to.

point8six
11th Jul 2008, 14:30
Parabellum - at last some common sense:ok:

CargoBoy
12th Jul 2008, 20:42
Portquater,

Latest official figure. Zero captains left, 2 joined.

4 FO's returned to SAS.

Where are the imminent 6 who are leaving?

Most likely NATO ( No Action Talk Only)

BANANASBANANAS
12th Jul 2008, 23:35
Well I know 1 Capt who starts with EK at the end of this month.

portquartercv67
13th Jul 2008, 03:05
CARGOBOY

Be patient. No one will have left prior to 7 July.

Keep your eye on the next few FONs. Hard as it may be for you to believe, but not everyone considers SIAC "heaven".

PQ

ArkPilot
13th Jul 2008, 07:27
PQ,

This issue seems to arise every year at this time. Last year amid speculation about many departures I placed the "over/under" at 5 and encouraged all to "bet the house" on the under. End result, 2 early DEC departures, hardly the exodus predicted by some this board.

At this writing, I am aware of the one departure BB refers to. In addition, 2 have classes with another carrier. That makes 3 definite. I've heard rumors of others but I think the new Indian regs. regarding DEC hiring may have put a hold on some people's plans. KAL is still hiring so that could be a suitable alternative for those who feel compeled to leave.

At the end of the day, 5 still looks good although it may be a little closer than last year. Certainly not an "exodus".

I bid welcome to those joining SQC, to those departing I wish you the best of luck!:ok:

fatbus
13th Jul 2008, 08:23
Each to his own, same goes for EK, maybe a few more than 5 but no where near what some people claim.
Must say , nice bonus !!

boeingdream787
25th Jul 2008, 14:56
Arkpilot,
What are these new indian regs about hiring DEC's that you just made a mention of...? Am not presently aware of any such rules. Could u please throw some light on the subject...:).
Cheers.

CargoBoy
1st Oct 2008, 06:56
Hot off the press! A few more than 5? More like only 3 Captains left and 12 new joiners.

Looks like we have to wait yet another year for the mass exodus that everyone is talking about.

Cargoboy

CDRW
1st Oct 2008, 15:56
Yea - mostly NATO boys!! One chap had the letter of resignation written out - waited till the bonus was in - thought long and hard ( or maybe just a minute rethink) and tore the letter up. Farewell party canceled.

BTW - did you see the generous increase in the transport allowance - all of 1.5% ( yes that's not a typo), from $34.40 to $35.00. Earth shattering stuff that took months and months of hard negotiation!!

Phlap1
1st Oct 2008, 19:01
Everyone is happy, huge bonus, none leaving.
Just a shame the bonus brings the pay up to
EK, CX base levels, enjoy your 3 week trips ...

parabellum
1st Oct 2008, 23:18
Didn't you get accepted by SQ then Phlap1? Maybe you are thinking SQ Cargo pay scales and rosters rather than Mainline SQ?

Phlap1
2nd Oct 2008, 01:03
No Para I got accepted into a real airline, probably before you learnt to fly.

Mentor_Minister
2nd Oct 2008, 02:56
Unfortunately the exodus didn't materialize because of rate of "acceptance" in KAL and EK.
12 Cargo Captains went for the assessment and only one " made the grade" for EK
The "success " rate in KAL is about the same.
In these unfortunately dire economic times, no one is going to resign a job until they have another one they can slip into.
Hence the "trickle" and not the haemorrhage of crew as was predicted.
As for the new joiners, for every one person who leaves, there are ten ready to take his place.
It is a matter of perspective. "One man's food is another man's poison" like they say!
Only don't forget you are joining a "Cargo Company", not an "Airline" as the management like to call it.

fatbus
2nd Oct 2008, 06:18
When EK starts their oun 744/748 cargo ops it to will not be run by the airline but by Skycargo, talk to the 310 guys and you can get an idea how that is going to work.

When SIA get the 333's you might see more than a few EK busboys go just to get out the sh1t box

parabellum
2nd Oct 2008, 12:16
If you are as young as 58, as your profile states, you are but a little boy in aviation Phlap1.

I had nearly thirty seven years with real airlines, including ten with SQ, who are a very real airline, they are also a very successful airline.

When I learnt to fly you were still in short trousers.

Capt.Bee
2nd Oct 2008, 19:05
Phlap1:No Para I got accepted into a real airline, probably before you learnt to fly.
The only thing, which makes me feel good about you is your age. The sooner you retire /and people like you/, the better for the aviation business as whole. Some greats never learn......, so pity.

Phlap1
3rd Oct 2008, 10:13
Well Capt. Bee I would dearly love to know what it is I have to learn.
SQ is a second rate airline, it pays about half what I have been making
for the past 30 odd years. Its a profitable semi-government circus
that does not reward its employees fairly for the effort they put in.
There endith your lesson.

There seems to be a chorus of RAH RAH SQ contributers on
this thread. Your not all SQ HR or management folk perchance?

parabellum
3rd Oct 2008, 12:39
Phlap1 - You are talking a total load of crap, suggest you lay off what ever it is you are on and go to bed. Clearly you really have not a clue about SQ or what it pays, gross or net, you have just a great big chip on your shoulder, why?

Who have you been working for this last 30 years? Happy to compare B744 captains salary after only ten years, methinks you may be talking through your bottom.

And by way of an edit, please highlight exactly what you think makes SQ a "second rate airline", your knowledge of comaparitive remuneration with other airlines is obviously totally inaccurate, so, go on, fill in the gaps.

winglet_fever
9th Oct 2008, 17:10
you guys got me really excited to read the next post...

oh come on.. we are all waiting for your reply! rah rah rah...

overmars
11th Oct 2008, 04:05
When ALL you guys started flying, I was still liquid form.

Rah rah rah!

boofta
12th Oct 2008, 19:30
Para
30 us net per month
Put your second rate airline salary up

winglet_fever
13th Oct 2008, 13:49
hi boofta, i'm like overmars. just wondering if what is it like after tax?

parabellum
13th Oct 2008, 23:59
Boofta - name your scheduled carrier airline. Your profile suggests you are not even in commercial aviation. US$30k per month, net? Sounds more like a VIP private flight to me.

"SQ, who are a very real airline, they are also a very successful airline".

You have a problem with that, Flyingtheline?

Left Coaster
15th Oct 2008, 10:53
Still waiting for Boofta to come clean...btw even at the VERY BEST of VIP or Royal Family operations 30K US is BS....you'd be surprised what they actually pay....

boeingdream787
16th Oct 2008, 09:17
Boofta's a 19 year old kid doing his PPL somewhere in Oz with real aspirations of making it to his CPL someday........:hmm: