PDA

View Full Version : Back in the UK , good places to fly to?

markymark24
1st Jul 2008, 16:17
Been living in US for a while although I do have my CAA PPL etc, but have no clue around the South East where is good to fly to, to take my girlfriend? Thanks!

BRL
1st Jul 2008, 17:13
Where are you based?

Leigh Caudwell
1st Jul 2008, 17:45
The new airfield at Cromer (Northrepps), Norfolk is a good place to visit, just a short taxi ride to the beach.

markymark24
1st Jul 2008, 18:16
based out of denham

JW411
1st Jul 2008, 18:53
Bembridge; pick a nice day, order a taxi when downwind and then have lunch in the "Crab & Lobster".

ShyTorque
1st Jul 2008, 18:54
Back in the UK, good places to fly to?

The way things are going rapidly downhill wrt fuel and food prices, I would suggest flying to anywhere else... :uhoh:

Or Netherthorpe, if you want to visit a short field with a good restaurant, but not too low on finals, please. ;)

XL319
1st Jul 2008, 20:55
Wycombe Air Park (booker) - Nice place and reasonably priced
Sandtoft - Cheap landing and good food
Fife - As above
Elstree
Sleap

All good places ive been to:ok:

Nashers
1st Jul 2008, 22:24
lydd- nice blond reception ladys to take your landing fee!

manston- nice 2 mile long runway to land on. 747F's land there all the time as well

headcorn- buy a leg of lamb, get the landing free

clacton- short field landing with a great pub 10 minutes walk from the airfield at the coast

rochester is quite nice as well- providing you can understand the realy fast talking female on the other end of the radio

bembridge- great pub as someone has already stated, is not too far away

goodwood- bit pricy to land but you get a lexus GS430 4x4 fully loaded with leather seats come pick you up from the aircraft and take you to the building.

duxford- great place to visit. go early and spend as long as you want in the museum

coventry- thomsonfly come and go from there as well

and if you realy want a good trip try Le2k france. take a cab down to the town and have lunch by the beach.

enjoy!

effortless
2nd Jul 2008, 07:53
How How times have changed, we used to recommend Shoreham. Nice long runway if a bit narrow; lovely terminal and closeish to Brighton and Worthing. Though Worthing may be a handicap. Nowadays we don't. Can it be the landing fees etc..?:(

Xeque
2nd Jul 2008, 10:20
Don't forget Andrewsfield - good food when I was there last. They have runway lights too. If you are prepared to go a bit further afield try Cornwall. Bodmin (where I learned to fly) Truro, Lands End and St Marys (Scillies) for lunch used to be a summertime favourite.