PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to get into CTC!?!?!?!

Flying Squid
1st Jul 2008, 12:08
Hi All,

Sorry to have a random whinge on a Tuesday afternoon but I've just had a dissapointing email form CTC. Been knocked back from the CityJet scheme that's recently opened. I'm curious to see if anyone knows what the hell it takes to get anywhere with them. Ok so my GCSE results weren't as good as they could have been but they weren't bad. My A-Level results were good, my work history is really good and I have a PPL but yet I can't even get to the written assessment stage!

I know I'm competing against a large number of applicants but surely getting to stage 2 can't just be a case of having straight A's at GCSE.....can it??? I've looked through my application and GCSE results really are the only thing I can think of that's cut me dead. Nightmare!!!

Emmett01
1st Jul 2008, 12:43
Personnaly I thnk its a lotto...

I tried the flybe sponsor ship scheme wit cabair...

1st time - No-where
2nd time - Third stage
3rd time - No where

What does that tell you... Ive just graduated now and goin ahead wit it myself,,, bugger the scheme, presides I wouldnt get to hung up about CTC, they seem to be one big waste of time... Easyjet havnt employed from them for over a year due to over over employment of course but its a sign that the recruitment is changing back towards self sponsored people in my own opinion... Its all about what you get in your ATPL's and IR and flying, not about your GCSE's so wouldnt worry, just as lonmg as you got the five, thats all that matters

All the best wit plans

Emmett :ok:

Flying Squid
1st Jul 2008, 13:00
Cheers Emmett.

I rekon you could well be right. I too have applied to them 3 times now. Never got anywhere to be honest but each time I've applied I've been able to add something else positive to my application. Started off with GCSE's and A-Levels for the first time. Then had a promising work record to add to it the second time. Then finally this time I had a really good work record and a PPL but still nothing.

I know that these schemes have pretty strict criterion that CTC must adhere to when recruiting candidates but I would love to see what CityJet are looking for then compare it to what I can offer to see why I have been knocked back again.

I'm carrying on with training regardless but I really want to know what they want from people.

99jolegg
1st Jul 2008, 15:58
Do you have A level Maths and a Science (preferably Physics)?

Maybe they could be looking for some specific extra-curricular leadership / teamwork demonstration if they aren't convinced enough has come from your time in employment.

Adios
1st Jul 2008, 20:13
A-Levels in maths and science are almost a must have, indeed, they are a must for most cadet programmes. Poor command of written English knocks many people back, but that doesn't seem to be Flying Squid's problem. Other than these issues, the rejection could just be due to very stiff competition.

XL319
1st Jul 2008, 20:48
CTC wings scheme is currently closed. Ive heard the assessment is tough and all for parting with a few thousand of your hard earned cash IF you get in.

99jolegg
1st Jul 2008, 21:01
Are you sure the CTC Wings scheme is closed? You can still apply on their website.

XL319
1st Jul 2008, 23:27
When i looked (a few days ago) it was closed...i should have stated ATP , apologies

99jolegg
2nd Jul 2008, 07:46
Ah right, yes, it's been closed since Feb unfortunately.:eek:

akindofmagic
2nd Jul 2008, 12:00
Easyjet havnt employed from them for over a year due to over over employment of course but its a sign that the recruitment is changing back towards self sponsored people in my own opinion

Nonsense. The last Easyjet Type Rating for cadets this year started in mid-April, and the next one is confirmed for October. Not sure where you get your information wrong, but it couldn't really be more flawed.

F/O UFO
3rd Jul 2008, 10:10
Is it extra qualifications CTC look for? For example, will I have a chance with good gcse grades and a-levels in; Maths, Physics, Geography, Economics, Critical thinking and extended project (in aeroplane design) and a tennis coaching qualification... plus afew other 'qualifications'?

oh, and plus a good pass in the GAPAN tests

99jolegg
3rd Jul 2008, 11:49
CTC look for well rounded individuals with a good basic education who can demonstrate their motivation and desire to fly. It's easy to get hung up focussing on one area but if you read this thread from start to finish, you'll see some people have made this mistake and wondered why they didn't get through.

4KBeta
3rd Jul 2008, 12:46
I don't think the CTC requirements are particularly 'over the top'

Unfortunately as you said, they can be picky. If your GCSE grades especially Science & Maths were not exactly the best then thats more then likely your problem and believe it or not my problem and many others aswell.

Unfortunately I got a D at GCSE science and I need to re-sit GCSE Physics in order to get a C which is the required grade. Bare in my I have A-levels, AS-levels and a 2:1 Hons Computer Science degree, so I know were you are coming from.

My only choice is to resit the GCSE which I am in the process of doing now.

Best case is to just do what is required, don't moan and get it done.

dragonfly6
6th Jul 2008, 00:11
I agree with LMET and akindofmagic. They've placed EVERY SINGLE CADET thats been through thier training scheme, in a medium jet with a major airline. I cant think of another training organisation in the world thats done that and my family has worked in avaition for a long time. Dont know where you get your info from but its wrong. CTC have placed about 40 cadets with easy throughout this recruitment season and I can confirm the next seasons intake is planned to start october.

"its a sign that the recruitment is changing back towards self sponsored people in my own opinion..."

Recruitment flip flops between sponsored and self funded schemes in the aviation industry for one reason only. If the industry doesnt need any more pilots, airlines wont fund sponsorship schemes. Therefor self funded becomes the only option by default. Not by preference!

kianus
6th Jul 2008, 06:51
Try to get some military experience. CTC loves that! :)

also... Its a cadet scheme so they can do whatever they want...