PDA

View Full Version : What is going on at CAA??

Desperate Wannabe
30th Jun 2008, 09:01
Any one heard the rumour this morning about the boys in blue marching into CAA and adorning our two well known examination personalities with some shiney wrist jewelery.
Apparently been selling Comm licences again...and have been given the choice, give names or it's off to the big house.
If it's true, there should be some very worried new Comms out there.
Anyone heard or got info???????

aintboeingaintgoing
30th Jun 2008, 09:26
I really hope this is not true, man that would really be a shame and make a mockery of all of us that have worked so hard for out licences! Who would actually buy a licence like that anyway, hope I don’t ever have the misfortune of ending up on the flight deck with one of them one day!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Jamex
30th Jun 2008, 09:56
Agreed. Good part is, some DE still has to do the actual flight test on these wankers. The major problem though, is the absolute power of SACAA. They are a law unto themselves and there are no checks and balances unless you regard reporting to a minister who knows nothing about aviation as checks and balances. As Aristotle said, "Ultimate power corrupts ultimately and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

very old flyer
30th Jun 2008, 15:23
Yes, and as I have said before, it is part of the ESKOM/Department of Home Affairs syndrome that exists to a large degree at CAA!

newcrew
30th Jun 2008, 15:32
Not even vaguely F&%! surprised !!!!!!!!!

boertjie
30th Jun 2008, 15:46
Ghee, can believe that.

If it is open in SA, can we have names???

Let everybody in aviation know who they are.
They throw the name away off all pilots in SA, who worked for their licences.

Surely nothing will happen to them, ( apartyd se skuld al weer)

flux
30th Jun 2008, 17:02
You say that a DE still has to do the evaluation. That is pretty subjective though. You will have one guy put you through your paces, and another will rush you through, he still get's his bucks..............

Goffel
30th Jun 2008, 20:01
Suitcaseman.
It is very quiet on the Western front, and the first that many heard about it was from Avcom.
So as much as you guys are in the dark, so are we.
But if it is true, then they must lock them up with the people that paid for the papers (and apparently the extra favours), throw away the key and let the whole lot rot.
Since the new Commissioner arrived, things are definitely going for the better, but there is always some rubbish left that screws it up for the rest of us.
My way of thinking, is do what the yanks do...have one book with all the questions and answers, have one set of study notes, the notes being compiled by the CAA, and distributed to all the schools and individuals. (so everyone has the same set of study notes and there is no funny questions and answers, with each school having a different answer to a question or their own crappy notes).
Lets be honest, who cares which way you turn the latitude rider nut.....I am not a technician....use the FAA method....the flight test .
This way it will cut out all the skandaal......sure you will have certain test instructors coining the bucks, but that is happening anyway.
To be honest, if I was employing a pilot, I would employ an FAA ATP before our own.....for the simple reason, I know that he can fly...not turn the latitude rider nut the wrong way.
Just my 10 cents worth.

Goffel

50feet
30th Jun 2008, 20:02
well well well . . . would you believe! I say the CAA should name and shame the ones who bought these licences and be banned from ever getting a licence within the republic again. as for those two well know friendly personalities behind the desk. . eish! this is a second offence for the one. come on mr jordaan its time for some heads to roll. and well done to the CAA if they indeed uncovered this scheme!

Mobotu
30th Jun 2008, 20:45
With Cry's of "Not Again" and "Hope it's Not True" it's time for a change.:ok:

Let's take a look around the world and see how other's are doing better than us "African's" yet again!

Australia - has "PRIVATISED" and "COMPUTERISED" their examination system since 5 years or more and since that time no funny business has been heard of.

USA - Their semi-private LASERGRADE system of computer testing seems to work without too much hassel even if it is fatally flawed by the fact you only need 70% to pass and it is just one exam (Meaning you can be deficient in one area such as Meteo or flight planning and still pass)

So maybe we need to take the power away from the CAA and place it into private hands such as with DE's, otherwise you are just reducing the South African Licence to yet another piece of toiletpaper and the reputation of it's good pilots into the ****house.

And GOFFEL - I have to dissagree with you on employing an US ATPL over a CAA one - I can train a pilot to fly any plane, but when I have to explain "Basic Private Theory" on how the Pitot Static functions to an US ATPL licence holder then I might as well have the Hostess sitting next to me!:ooh:

putt for dough
1st Jul 2008, 05:43
Would of thought that the one alleged guilty CAA
member would of applied the " once bitten twice shy" rule
and kept her nose clean.

Yoh Yoh Yoh :zzz:

PitchandFan
1st Jul 2008, 09:05
One of my little spies on the inside says the exam dept. is manned by new faces, and that one of the chaps that used to work there (Mr.Mafuta) is on suspension.

A friend also happened to mention to me that he got brilliant service from the examination dept. yesterday, before I told him about the rumour. He said the rumour must be true, as he got decent service!:}:}

Maurice Chavez
2nd Jul 2008, 08:17
A bit of a harsh statement there Mobutu. Seeing you're from Kin, I take it your "CAA" license must be a Zaire license, the one you can buy a Concorde rating on, yes an excellent license, far better then the FAA one. You wouldn't happen to be the French man who got his "CAA" license converted for a SACAA one now, would you?The license with all the ratings on it you can buy....

nyathi
2nd Jul 2008, 11:48
Unfortunately all true about the SACAA. You apparently could buy your ATP subjects aroune R 1000 to R 1500 per subject. Luckily these scum bags have all been suspended for now, I think they should all be jailed!

They must also expose all the relevant individuals that took part in this fraudulant scheme!

Let's hope this is the start in order to make CAA a better and helpfull institute!
:D:D:D

pointer41
2nd Jul 2008, 13:24
Heard the broom will sweep at other areas too! This can only be good and hopefully equal standards will apply! Such an occurrence is unfortunate, however if CAA cleans house like I heard, it will be to the benefit of all. :ok:

cavortingcheetah
2nd Jul 2008, 15:34
:hmm:

It is to be hoped that the powers that be will ensure that none of those who availed themselves of the purported purchasing service will ever hold a South African aviation licence or, indeed, ever fly in South African airspace, controlled or otherwise.
That last would probably be impossible to accomplish in terms of a restriction. The first suggestion would take a degree of courage and determination which might not sit too well upon all politcal shoulders. But it is a policy of punishment which should nonetheless be pursued with all diligence. It stands quite apart from whatever else the law may choose to hand down as a punishment.
It would also be a most excellent idea if the powers that be would dust off my last application to the SACAA and give me a call with a view to working for them as a part time flight ops inspector. Such a well considered move would ensure that certain coefficients other than A, B or C were used in determing capability, maturity, attitude and airmanship.
Toodle Pip....
:D

Goffel
3rd Jul 2008, 08:35
Cavorting.

Part time does not work....causing too much friction with the full time guys due to salaries and time worked/not worked.

As for finding out who got what and who paid for what, will never be revealed in full.......too many of them to remember.....but I must admit, I look at some people that I believe paid....nothing one can do, as they sure as hell are never going to admit to paying, and if they are named, are sure as hell going to deny any involvement....innocent until proven guilty.
Catch 22 situation.

Well one thing for happiness that is coming out, is that the write one, pass one rule is coming out sooooooon.....no more stupid credits.
You will have 18 months to complete all subjects from the 1st passed subject....should you fail a subject...wait min 3 days, then write it again.
CAA is going to make beeeeeeeeeg bucks from this.........

As for the two individuals involved.....I hope the investigation does not get stuffed up by amatures and they let the pro's do the investigating.

Goffel

mkenya
3rd Jul 2008, 11:24
Actually. They were charging anything between 5000 and 10000 a paper. Some people have lots of money and plenty of laziness or empty skulls to waste that amount of money. Now its their time to suffer.
And Mr Mafuta aka Alfa lima echo exary had a bloody bad attitude.
That guy should never be allowed anywhere where he'd deal with people face to face. Unless they are dead,
and what is it with IF hours being reduced to the original 40 again? Anyone in the know how?

cavortingcheetah
3rd Jul 2008, 15:40

Thought the advertisement originally was for full or part time FOIs. Something along the lines of three months on, six months off.
In an effort to maintain its rather tarnished integrity, the South African Civil Aviation Authority has little choice really but to invalidate all examination passes issued over some considerable preceeding time scale. Only by undertaking such an action and by facing up to the ensuing commotion can the SACAA satisfy its FAA auditors and the rest of the world into whose airspace South African pilots fly, to the effect that the SA CAA takes aviation safety and professionalism as seriously as it might like to be thought so to do.
Certainly there would be pilots presently in employ who would find themselves suddenly without licences and the innocent would suffer most considerably with the guilty. Nonetheless, those who had really passed their examinations should not fear too much if required to write the same papers again within, say, a thirty day period. Those who had bought their results would still be incapable of passing the subjects. The CAA would, of course, not charge for such a rewrite.
:ouch:

vref+10
4th Jul 2008, 14:22
Cavortingcheetah, that has to be the most unrealistic suggestion to implement! Surely the more logical, and LEGAL, course would be to appoint a team of INDEPENDENT forensic auditors to investigate the whole business and, upon finding suspected cheats, obtain a court order to investigate their finances. There would bound to be a hole or holes in them totalling between R35 000 to R70 000 (based on figures provided in a previous post) closely aligned with the dates of their passing the subjects/papers in question. Vigorous interrogation and investigation of the implicated CAA officials would help to narrow the focus of the investigation as well!

What about the constitutional/legal premise of presumed innocence for the not guilty parties? Surely someone, who used the maximum number of sittings over the eighteen month period and who may have had to repeat some of the subjects as per the rules, in order to pass, is unlikely to have cheated
What about the chaos that would be caused to the lives and finances of operators and individuals? Would they be able to claim compensation upon being "proved" innocent as per your methodology? Who would re-imburse them, the CAA? The taxpayer? Yourself?

I see that you neglect to say where you're based so I presume it isn't South Africa and I also presume you don't hold, or maybe have never held, (exams too difficult maybe?) a South African professional license so your outrageous suggestion would not affect you in any shape or form.

What a slap in the face for the vast majority of us who worked hard, balancing work and family commitments as well as our studies, in order to pass the required exams and who obtained our licenses legitimately and honestly!

Just who the hell do you think you are?!

LittleMo
4th Jul 2008, 14:30
I think you'll find if you slowed down to a mild panic that the Spotted One wrote that last post rather tongue-in-cheek and was not being at all serious...

vref+10
4th Jul 2008, 16:08
I'm afraid that after re-reading spotty's post I do not see any evidence of tongue or cheek. Maybe he can enlighten us all. As I said before, a serious and comprehensive investigation followed by criminal prosecutions, where needed, would go a long way to rehabilitating the CAA's reputation.

Punishing the honest and innocent would definitely not achieve this goal and would make the CAA more of a laughing stock than they already are in many people's eyes.

How about it, Capt. Jordaan?

PS: LittleMo, maybe I fail to see the humour in what is actually a serious and downright shameful situation.:sad: Being of the pre-computer/cellphone generation, maybe I concentrate too much on the words and text of the posts rather than the emoticons!

cavortingcheetah
4th Jul 2008, 17:15

Before this gets out of control......
Spotty holds a valid South African ATPL. Grade 11. He also holds UK and Botswana ATPLs.
Spotty wrote the original post quite tongue in cheek indeed. But...having said that, the point is that something quite draconian should be done to stamp on those who have bribed and also on those who have been bribed. From my point of view, I would take greater pleasure in seeing those who bribed inconvenienced.
Spotty simply thought up the most outrageous scenario and bounced it out, sort of cavorting fashion. Of course it is a totally unrealistic suggestion. One teeny question though, would it have the desired effect upon the miscreants concerned?
In conclusion, having read the post again, I am now not at all sure that the original humourous intention should not now be taken quite seriously!;)

As a small last thought, if such a measure as originally suggested were applied, cc would in fact have to write at least one SA CAA paper. But since the spotted one, whose name is not Richard, thinks that he is a pilot of great international experience, much of it gained outside of the Platteland, such a travail would pose little trauma!:ooh:

Majutes
5th Jul 2008, 03:30
This is a very frustrating situation for all of us in aviation. That our reputations are in the hands of others. No point in getting upset with each other. Lets rather direct our anger at the ones who drag our good names through the mud.

I'm thinking rather along the lines of a public caining for certain people who have already used there second chance...

vref+10
5th Jul 2008, 05:28
Thanks for the clarification spotted one and apologies to you if you think I overreacted but this whole business has got me totally incensed! I worked damn hard, (as did all of us, the miscreants excluded), to get where I am today.

To have our reputations and licenses rubbished by people possessing not one shred of integrity goes beyond the pale. I hope the CAA, under it's new management, acts quickly and decisively to put and end to this nasty business, once and for all.

Guilty parties must be subjected to criminal prosecution with jail time as the consequence of a guilty verdict, not some limp-wristed, internal disciplinary action. The laws of the country are alleged to have been broken and serious fraud (with implications for flight safety) committed. Nothing less will suffice if the CAA is to rehabilitate it's tarnished reputation.

We wait in hope.

cavortingcheetah
5th Jul 2008, 13:18

Actually, incensed would be a better description of, I am sure, how many of us feel. This sort of scandal degrades the CAA, the profession as a whole and, in particular, the disgusting little reprobates of whatever sex, colour or nationality who have engaged in such activities. One wonders too, how many validations of British, JAA or FAA licences have been issued under the same sort of underhanded financial fashion.
The CAA in South Africa owes a duty of care to the authorities which issue licences in other countries, to ensure that the names of those who have availed themselves of the aviation pathway of corruption are well publicised to those authorities. Reflect for a moment upon the fact that only those of us who have held South African licences for a considerable period of time can actually hold our heads high, untarnished by the scurrilous activities of the few. Any South African professional licence holder, whose paperwork has been issued within the reasonably recent past, lies tainted by this scandal which, unless I miss my mark, will be dismissed as a short term hiatus.
Quite apart from any criminal action which might be brought, SA CAA should ensure that action is taken to guarentee that those who bought their licences never fly in South African skies and that their names are forwarded to other authorities throughout the world.
To be fair, it is going to be very difficult, even given the will, to determine who the miscreants are. In the old days, and it might still be the case for aught I know, in the UK, those who had just failed a subject or who were suspected of cheating, were subjected to an oral examination, one on one, across a table, with one of the examination examiners, the paper setters.
This soon weeded out those who knew their stuff from those who had had advance notice of questions or who had cheated in other ways.
It would not be beyond the bounds of impossibility, surely, for the CAA to call in all recent pass holders and ask them to substantiate their results with a short oral quiz?
For example, in Navigation General, most of us can still remember the salient differences between a Lambert, a Mercator and a Polar Stereographic?
In plotting, most of us could perhaps still remember roughly how one went about an air plot transfer. In Instruments, a brief description of a compass swing might suffice? Any examiner worth his salt would soon be able to determine whether or not his interviewee had a clue as to the subjects he was meant to have passed. If in doubt, further investigation could be initiated
while a temporary suspension was in force?
There is much that the CAA could perhaps do to weed out these frauds and dangers to aviation without unduly jeopardising the staus of genuine examination candidates. Certainly there would be some who would object to such actions but unless the CAA takes some form of definite action, any recently issued South African professional licence is potentially a forgery.
The Australian Authority, for example, could simply refuse to recognise an SAA licence from now on. This could have quite serious knock on effects for those pilots who wished to relocate there and still fly for SAA. The FAA could, and perhaps should, ban South African licence holders from US airspace until their qualifications had been satisfactorily substantiated.
If these rumours are even remotely true, it behoves SA CAA to issue statements as to the extent of the debacle and to formulate and enact a suitably heavy handed course of action to ensure that those who have engaged in such activities will regret having done so. There is in fact, a great deal more at stake here for the beloved country than simply a dirty little sordid affair involving a group of people who should neither be in licensing nor be at the controls of an aeroplane.
Furthermore, and without wishing to stir the pot further, if at all, it is surely the responsibility of all South African airlines and aviation companies to verify that any recently hired pilots with new licences are of the genuine sort. The insurance companies will have a field day with any insurance claims in the future if they can establish that one or other of the crew members involved was flying without a licence, for that is exactly what the situation would be were such a set of circumstances to arise.
:oh:

Just for the record, this is not intended as a tongue in cheek exercise. It may be considered as a rant of suitably inflammed proportions. :mad:

Goffel
6th Jul 2008, 08:43
Cavorting Spotty.

It is going to be a long road finding out who cheated and who passed as also, who was just plain lucky in the ABC of answers.

There are many horrow stories and accusations as to who did what and who received what.

But what about guys that have just got into Emeraites, one coming from a reputable company, an instructor, who had the gall to log all his trip time as dual instruction....him being the instructor.....(Jhb - CT - JHB).

Another words, his co-pilots were "trainees" on a fare paying flight...(he was after a Grade 1).

Sure you can mistakenly (tongue in someone elses cheek), mess up an hour or six in your log book, but when you do it for `1500 hours, then when you get your higher licence, just stop.....mmmmmmm...fishy.

Fortunately that okie is in for beeeeeeeeeeg shock in a while....especially when he is turfed out of Emeraites and denied his old cushy position back....(yes, I hope he reads pprune and realises that when you screw your mates, stay off the alchahol as it loosens the tongue and makes others with beeeg ears listen..:{).

Getting back to the schlenters on the exams, those that have their names on the list of would be non-passers....cherish the thought of doing your next renewal with a healthy DE, who can ask for a subject or six to be re-written as he/she thinks that your knowledge is not up to scratch....no accusations, just a little, "I dont think your Flight Planning , Met and Nav etc,is quite up to scratch"......so please enlighten me as to your knowledge...skryf boetie/bokkie.:mad:

Goffel..:=

vref+10
6th Jul 2008, 17:34
Are there any suitably qualified examiners left at the CAA I wonder? Guys like the late Bill Kirby and his contemporaries. Guys who understand the subjects in great depth and who must have formulated a large number of the questions that are presently in the database of questions.

I'm under the impression that the staff that run (ran?) the present system merely ask the computer system to set the papers/questions as per the examination applications. Who would one approach to arbitrate nowadays if one had a serious problem with a particular question especially w.r.t. fairness, ambiguity, relevance etc.

These are the type of people that would be required to do any oral investigations of suspected fraudsters.

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2008, 17:35

Yes, it would be extremely difficult to establish guilt or innocence and the idea of having the DEs briefed up to quiz the newish renewal candidates is an exceptionally good one, in the never so humble. Would that I could be among the number of the former; t'would have me reaching for my old textbooks with a vindictive glint in whichever eye was focused that morning!
Didn't actually know that DEs or FOIs had the authority to initiate that sort of thing, but of course in your comments lies the argument for making it so.
The story of the Emirates chap is refreshing as well. There used to be a South African licence holder, as I recall, some years ago who was rated on all sorts of Boeings. Since no one could ever remember who had checked him out on what, that raised an eyebrow or two. In fact, I am not sure that it wasn't the demon drink and a flapping mouth that did for him too, in the end.
As I recall again, perhaps erroneously, if one is flying a two crew airline operation in an aircraft which is listed on one's instructor rating, one may not log the time as instructor time unless the airline company has appointed the man in question as a training Captain or, one supposes, perhaps and possibly, a training First Office?
Greatly appreciate the input and from whence it came and so, with best wishes and happy hunting.....cc

As a postscript, I remember Bill Kirby very well indeed, used to lecture for Aeronav at FAGM. He took over as exam examiner at DCA (as it then was, Bosman and Streuben Streets) as I again recall, from Ian Mc Glashan, an ex navigator. I remember, not recall this time, having a serious argument with Ian McG as to why we ATPL chaps had to know how to plot a damned air plot transfer. He won the slight altercation for reasons which were not clear to me at the time. It was easier just to get on and work out how to execute the transfer, and this was in the days when there were hardly any vORs in SA, just jolly old fun NDBs.:yuk: But you are not likely to see their ilk again, the more is the great pity, for they were both true professionals and gentlemen, always willing to help explain the finer points of navigation when asked politely.:D

HansFlyer
6th Jul 2008, 17:52
Are there any suitably qualified examiners left at the CAA I wonder? Guys like the late Bill Kirby and his contemporaries. Guys who understand the subjects in great depth and who must have formulated a large number of the questions that are presently in the database of questions.

The CAA were "forced" through audits by FAA & JAA to set-up the office.
The have quite a few guys who are not only knowledgeable but also passionate about aviation. Blake, Tony, Mathew and the likes - their office is next to the customer service counters - and trust me they probably got sniff in the nose about this nonsense of the invigilators being convinced to influence the outcome of an exam?

I trust if you phone and ask for the office they will be willing to help you with any question you might have.

HF

sexdriven
6th Jul 2008, 18:58
Goffel,

I think you are mistaken boet. The guy you speak about is not at Emirates but rather at Kingfisher.

Sorry, but just clarifying the facts.

Cirrus SR22
7th Jul 2008, 11:24
By Ella Smook ([email protected])

South Africa's aviation watchdog has called in an external forensic team to investigate allegations of fraud and procedural irregularities in its examination department.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) also confirmed that two employees have been suspended after a flood of postings on aviation web forums suggested that officials have been selling examination papers to would-be pilots.

While the CAA refused to give more details about the alleged transgressions, and neither confirmed nor denied the allegations being levelled by aviation professionals, it rejected rumours that the officials had been arrested.

Last Monday, allegations surfaced online that two CAA examination officials had been arrested after selling licences to would-be pilots.

Speculation grew, and pilots online demanded the heads not only of those responsible but also of those who benefited from the alleged fraud.

Initially the CAA kept mum, and then posted a terse response on Wednesday.

It acknowledged that two employees had been suspended during the investigation into the allegations of fraud and procedural irregularities, but said it would not be prudent to reveal more details as it could hamper the investigation which was being co-ordinated with police.

The same reply was received in response to questions put to the CAA by the Cape Argus. Police were unable to give more information at the time of going to press.

Pilots posting their reactions to the allegations expressed their concern about the integrity of licences issued by the CAA, as well as air safety concerns should the allegations be found to be true.

Said one pilot: "This impacts on a large number of people, especially the passengers of aircraft being piloted by unqualified people."

In 2000, similar allegations were levelled of irregular practices by certain pilots and CAA staff members, and an independent review panel investigated. Also probed were the licences held by then CAA chief executive officer Trevor Abrahams and a CN Delacovia.

Abrahams had been involved in an accident at the Rand Airport on July 18, 1999, and Delacovia died after the plane he piloted crashed in Mozambique on April 2, 2000.

Following the investigation, the panel recommended that Abrahams be "at least reprimanded", but added that the CAA board could also choose to institute a disciplinary hearing because of irregularities regarding the status of his licence. On Delacovia, it was found that his licence had not been consistent with the CAA's records, and that he did not possess an instrument rating.

The panel recommended that all pilot's licences be reviewed and audited. It also recommended that the integrity of the examination system be improved.

This article was originally published on page 6 of The Cape Argus on July 07, 2008

vref+10
7th Jul 2008, 12:35
Glad to hear that these guys exist. I was not aware of their existence as it was not something that seemed to have been publicised, either by the CAA themselves, the aviation press or the various schools. I do spend an inordinate amount time working outside SA so I may have missed it. I trust that their oversight of the whole examination system is a fairly recent development then?

Goffel
7th Jul 2008, 17:26
Sexdriven.

Unfortunately not mistaken......but, yes, that okie-pokie as well.(but I did hear that, that guy is no longer with Kingfisher)

This time it is another wannebe Emeraites training captain....me, I dont want to be in his socks when Emeraites gets the news.

Cavorting....what happens is, qualified captain, qualified co-jo......both rostered to do a flight...........captain decides he needs instructional hours to get a higher grade.......so, just logs qualified co-jo down as instructional dual...(qualified co-jo who has no idea of what is going on, rightly logs co-pilot time).

When captain reaches the required number of hours for higher grade, he then conveniently stops logging instructional time on poor un-suspecting co-jo's.

Because he is a supposed trusted captain of said airline, (and of course, a bit of slackness), he manages to get thru the cracks in the system...gets his new up-grade and bobs your cuzzin, he is now a beeeg cheeeef.

(We are not talking about a quick route check here...we are talking 1000 hours of cheating).

But beeeeeg cheeeef peees on someones battery, then gets a bit dronk, the lips move..boooooooom.

Eisch...and who said life was fair.
Goffel..:=

sexdriven
7th Jul 2008, 21:42
Goffel

Sorry about that. I didnt know about the other fellow.

Thanks for clarifying.

Setron
12th Jul 2008, 10:53
Hey, what about the fact that foreigners (Zimbos) are now in charge at SACAA? They decide now if you are good or not!:=
Nationwides fall (767) made it possible!
Heard they had a "history" themselves in Zim!:suspect:

Toppled AH
12th Jul 2008, 15:53
Hey Majutes.....I think you 100% right there....I think everyone is going off the topic....as for caining in public...stuff that....HANG the B......ds in public.

Its all making sense now.....now i see where Mr dude behind the counter at the exams got the money to buy his lovely leather jacket....

As for the people who bought the papers.....they should never be allowed to fly period...NIL....NEVER again anywhere in the world never mind just within the SA borders......its an absolute disgrace to us SA pilots....

The CAA are making the exams easier now than ever before...like unlimited sittings and what you pass is what you pass.....how much easier can it get and those tools still buy the exams.....As the one guy mentions the " latitude ryder nut " I think those naughty people should be asked that very question in court....if they don't know the answer then.......BUST HIM....haha

I want to say so much more but I guess some things are just better unsaid..........

putt for dough
23rd Jul 2008, 06:43
This thread has gone cold. Anyone out there
who knows what the latest is? Are the 2 officials still
suspended? Have they been given the green light
to return to work?
cheers.

Toppled AH
23rd Jul 2008, 21:08
Was just about to ask the same question PUT FOR DOUGH......

I really hope they don't come back to work, I hope they get fired and I hope they go to jail, I have no sympathy what so ever for people like that, and last but not least I hope the guilty people out there that bought the papers get caught and NEVER fly again in their life.....

Apparently they manipulated the answers to to make the lazy bums pass to....wonder if they did that to fail people...mmmm

cavortingcheetah
24th Jul 2008, 03:46

But then this is not the first time that this has happened, apparently.

CAA to Take a Decision an SAA Pilots's Licence

9 February 2001

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) will make a decision on what action to be taken in respect of ****** *****'s pilot licence early next week.

*****, a pilot with South African Airways, was found guilty on one charge of fraud and one of corruption by the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crimes Court on Wednesday, 7 February 2001. These charges relate to the illegal purchasing of air transport pilot licence examination papers.

"The CAA has the responsibility of ensuring that only those who have legally fulfilled the theoretical and practical requirements for the obtaining of a licence are permitted to enjoy its rights and privileges," said Acting Commissioner for Civil Aviation, Wrenelle Stander.

I have asterixed the name just to be on the safe side.:mad:

Doodlebug2
24th Jul 2008, 05:58
CC, if the original news report published names, you have nought to fear!;)

putt for dough
24th Jul 2008, 06:31
Just google CC's heading "CAA to Take a Decision an SAA Pilots's Licence".
Here's a clue: his name starts with I and surname starts with N.;)

what happened to this dude anyway?

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Jul 2008, 07:01
Weren't the US authorities after one of that lot at some point when they found his name all over captured documents from a cave in Afghanistan?

Toppled AH
25th Jul 2008, 06:12
Solid Rust Twotter...you make me laugh, where do you get all these saying....you should be the editor of FHM....hehe keep them coming

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jul 2008, 11:11
CNN.com - Transcripts (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0204/18/lad.06.html)

Ex-SAA pilot arrested in US: News24: South Africa: News24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/0,,2-7_1170290,00.html)

News - World: Ex-SAA pilot linked to September 11 (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=ct20020419101318414P430940)

The EastAfrican on the Web (http://www.nationaudio.com/News/EastAfrican/29042002/Regional/Regional58.html)

Goffel
29th Jul 2008, 07:11
Can anyone shed some light on the name of the gallant idiot that was arrested the other day with a complete set of answers to papers in his hand whilst writing...:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Goffel.:=

Lifes-a-Beech
29th Jul 2008, 15:10
A new level of idiocy has clearly been reached!