PDA

View Full Version : JAR OPS-3 and Circling Minima

212man
30th Jun 2008, 08:30
I'm curious if anyone (JimL?) knows the background as to why JAR OPS-3 Subpart E makes several reference to circling minima whereas ICAO Doc 8168 Pt 1 specifically states that circling approaches are not applicable to helicopters!

My guess would be "cut and pasted from JAR OPS-1" but a more valid explanation may exist.

Troglodita
30th Jun 2008, 10:08
212Man

Suspect you are spot on with your "cut & paste" theory - at least they didn't add "a hole bonch if toipos" like what they did in NCAR's! e.g. "Operations to Helipots"

Trog

212man
30th Jun 2008, 10:21
They probably meant 'Despots' ! (or Despots:E)

JimL
30th Jun 2008, 10:35
When this was discussed some years ago, we decided that we would remove it from Subpart E for the reason you quoted (it was also one of Charles Schmitt's favourite subjects).

However, as the text was fairly innocuous (the limits were not punitive) and, as we still wished to make a statement about ARA approaches, we decided to leave it as it was.

You are also correct (as with all of these issues) that the origin of the text was JAR-OPS 1. (We will be seeing more of this as EASA has (almost) abandoned the separation of the aeroplane from the helicopter text.)

Circling will be an ongoing issue if Annex 14 is amended to permit single slope approaches to heliports (more of a deal than airports) as some protection will have to be added to the obstacle environment to permit circling (even if it just a split-arsed turn).

Jim

212man
30th Jun 2008, 10:51
Thanks Jim!

even if it just a split-arsed turn

I'll await with interest to see how ICAO phrase that manouevre when they come to updating their docs ;)

bogey@6
19th Jul 2008, 02:30
When this was discussed some years ago, we decided that we would remove it from Subpart E for the reason you quoted (it was also one of Charles Schmitt's favourite subjects).

JimL, may I ask.. is Charles Schmitt still doing the India DGCA consultancy in Delhi?

JimL
19th Jul 2008, 07:12
He may be back now; at the recent Airmed conference in Prague a French Doctor told me that Charles was assisting them with HEMS operational procedures.

Jim