PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan Attack

big buddah
29th Jun 2008, 23:21
Can anyone confirm this attack? As quoted in the BBC:

They were on patrol when "they received a report of an rocket-propelled grenade attack on a civilian aircraft at Bost airfield in Lashkar Gar", the spokesman said.

BB

superspotter
30th Jun 2008, 08:11
Has Afghanistan moved??

ChiyaWena
30th Jun 2008, 08:35
no one can confirm that the aircraft was fired at. there was reported insurgent fighting near and around the field and the aircraft may have been caught in the crossfire. they weren't hit by the RPG that was fired. but possibly a few bullets hit the plane. think it was a BE20. details are sketchy but what we know so far is fairly accurate.

340_co-jock
30th Jun 2008, 09:12
Can anyone supply any more details please?
I flew there alot during 2006 and 2007 and have many friends still there, so if any news, please can you either pm me or post details here.
Many thanks
Cheers

MungoP
30th Jun 2008, 09:25
superspotter : Has Afghanistan moved??

Many of us who fly contracts in Africa have also operated in Afghanistan... it's a similar world and for this reason...plus the fact that there isn't a forum labled "Central Asia" or "North and Left a bit of the Indian Sub-Continent", it's reasonable to post news events here. (IMHO)

superspotter
30th Jun 2008, 11:33
I'm sorry Mungo P but how can you say it's "reasonable" to post a thread re: Afghanistan on an African forum??!!
They are not the same by any stretch of the imagination (IMHO) and a completely different continent.
Not trying to make a big deal of it or anything:confused:

ChiyaWena
30th Jun 2008, 11:49
ever thought that maybe it's on this forum because there are quite a few ZS reg aircraft and south african crews flying in afghanistan. Qwila, Norse, NAC..... could have been any of them.

anyway, it was none of them so now you guys can moan at each other to your hearts content and carry on with your ' i'm better than you at geography ' competition. and then beg moderators to move thread around so that the people who have mates or family up there can have trouble finding the thread. if the thread doesn't interest you, don't read it.

anyone with half a brain knows that Afghanistan is nowhere near Africa, but perhaps some pilots in Africa and on this 'Africa only' forum have some common interest in what happens to south african aircraft and pilots in other parts of the world.

now i'm just being a petty as some of you, nuff said........

MungoP
30th Jun 2008, 11:52
This is getting a bit anal... I'm simply pointing out that the Pprune raison d'etre is to diseminate news to those interested in any particular sphere of aviation, and many, if not most of those flying contracts in Afghanland are attached to the same contract companies who are based in SA, ... that's the link.... this forum ensures that the news gets to those most interested... Lash Kar Gha and Bost are familiar territory to many of us who rarely would delve into the Asian forum.

superspotter
30th Jun 2008, 12:05
Anal or no, Mungo P your argument was reasonably put!
Yours ChiyaWena however was not:=
The whole point of have separate forums and divisions is to keep subjects apart, I would not post asking for info re: working conditions etc for a certain airline in rumours & news for instance.
Afghanistan is not in Africa, period. Whether there are africans or african registered aircraft working there or not. Anal??:uhoh:

big buddah
30th Jun 2008, 12:47
The this thread was put on this forum for the very fact that there is plenty of ZS registered A/C and crew operating up there.

The question was intended to be answered not turned into a anal pissing match so typical of aviation.

PPRuNe Towers
30th Jun 2008, 12:51
Mungo P and BB

Spot on.

Rob

ChiyaWena
30th Jun 2008, 14:11
glad some of us see eye to eye. now any chance we can get back to the thread. does anyone have any more info. i'm told there was a bullet hole through the side of the plane. N reg King air 200. unconfirmed though. wonder how long it will be until civillian operators stop going there or will it take something nasty to happen as usual before operators wake up.

PitchandFan
30th Jun 2008, 15:07
Pull out because of one bullet hole?

Dont be gay.

In that case even the PnP fleet in SA would have been grounded....:eek::eek:

superspotter
30th Jun 2008, 15:41
"anal pissing"

Now, that definitely belongs on the African forum:uhoh::uhoh::)

PitchandFan
1st Jul 2008, 09:12
Your belief. Well I can validate that for you. Its not in Africa. Look on a map.

My belief. you are a prick.

square leg
1st Jul 2008, 09:19
I agree with ChiyaWena, PT, BB and MP.

Coleman Myers
1st Jul 2008, 10:47
Well, have learnt from this thread that:

1/ Afghanistan is not in Africa

2/ there are very bored nit picking p*icks in GVA and Cheshire :E

Majutes
1st Jul 2008, 12:08
2/ there are very bored nit picking p*icks in GVA and Cheshire

Coleman Myers... This is very naughty of you to say such a thing on a site that is dedicated to African Aviation. I'm pritty sure the above mentioned places are not in Africa. :=

So was an African aircraft shot at in Cheshire? No, no. Hang on. I got it. Some idiot lost his suitcase, man, in Afghanistan. Afghanistan, as we all know, is the capitol of Zim. :confused:

FYI. Got some mates working up there and they say every one is fine.:ok:

superspotter
1st Jul 2008, 15:35
OK, so we established that it was and American registered Beech in Afghanistan that was shot at, oh, I see it all clearly now why it was posted on the African forum:(
Or maybe it was because the co-pilots uncle's mother's brother six times removed lived in africa for fifteen minutes when he was five years old??
One more thing. Coleman, maybe we can meet up at the Intercontinental next Friday and you can buy me a Tusker whilst I tell you to your face what an arrogant pr*ck you are.

AAL
1st Jul 2008, 16:33
Well my goodness, what a childish bunch. Ignore the idiots!

I as a South African have many friends flying up there, know of many ZS planes flying there - and am more concerned about their welfare than where this thread was posted.

Please give more news if available and ignore the ignorant.

PitchandFan
1st Jul 2008, 17:29
My question is what are the pricks from Cheshire doing on the SA forum then?:}

Coleman Myers
2nd Jul 2008, 08:36
FIRST:
"I may be "anal pissing" but seen as there are more "N" registered aircraft operating in Afghanistan than "ZS" registerd aircraft, should this thread not be posted in the North American forum!"

THEN:
"Last I looked it was an open forum and we were all entitled to our own opinions - apparently not."

Suitcaseman, the problem is that you dont want to allow anybody to have the opinion that an incident in Afghanistan maybe relevent to the African forum :=

Nobody was hurt thats the main thing - glad to hear it - SA guys you do a great job in Afghanistan - keep it up :D

PitchandFan
2nd Jul 2008, 18:30
Luckily Irony is not wasted on you, learner.:suspect::ugh::}