PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Aviation

hughesyd
29th Jun 2008, 13:15
Anyone any experience of Bonus Aviation at cranfield?. Looking for somewhere for the cpl/me/ir and they seem to be coming in pretty reasonable on price.

hughesyd
29th Jun 2008, 13:37
thats exactly why im asking about their reputation !!!!

Spit-Fire
29th Jun 2008, 15:00
I am almost certainly going to do the same course at Bonus very soon. I've heard very good things about them and when visited they seemed very professional. Give Jo a ring to confirm prices as there are a few more bits to include on top of their literature - current fuel surcharge is but one. I've also checked out Bristol recently and they too were very good but the locality of Bonus is more appealing

doctordoom
29th Jun 2008, 15:00
Its so hard to get a straight answer on prickprune to many smartarses :ugh:. Hughesyd check your pm

captain_flynn
29th Jun 2008, 22:38
I fly with Bonus, although im just upgrading an NPPL to a JAR PPL before I carry on with hour building, but I can honestly say im very happy at Bonus Aviation. The instructors are great, very friendly and easy to talk to. Jo's a very nice person aswell. You've made a good choice considering Bonus. Good luck. Maybe i'll bump into you one day.:ok:

MOCA
30th Jun 2008, 02:38
Hi I did some SIM work there to keep up my FAA I/R the instructor was very friendly, they also seem to have good support material.
Can be a bit intimidating when you walk in, but my experience was first rate and i would use them again.

paco
30th Jun 2008, 06:03
Bonus Aviation is highly recommended - Pete Godwin was one of the best years ago and still is!

Phil

hughesyd
30th Jun 2008, 17:49
Thanks everyone for your input. it seems to have consistant good reports, which makes for a refreshing change!.

Will be definately considering them up against going to spain. thanks.

glush
30th Jun 2008, 21:36
.... sadly even a good flying school can't control the rubbish UK weather though! Seems like a trivial point, but it can really mess up your schedule and create more demands on your budget if you end up having to do revision flights due to days and days on the ground due to wx. I did my CPL and FI course at Bonus, and was amazed that the IR guys were sat around for days due wx whilst I was able to fly.... VFR.... Apparently those NDB holds get tricky with 50kt cross winds and clouds full of ice!

I recently did my IR in Spain, and enjoyed some of the best flying weather ever - and some spectacular scenery too... The MSA really does matter when you're buzzing around IFR with 7000' mountains around you!!
Seems like Spain is becoming more and more popular as a destination for IR flight training with us Northern Europeans..... Definitely worth some consideration if time is a factor. My friend took 4 months to complete his IR in the UK... Nightmare...

aintboeingaintgoing
11th Jul 2008, 13:55
I see this is a really old thread has anyone been with Bonus recently that can comment on the place

dr boeing
11th Jul 2008, 19:26
The cost granted, but the piont of a valuable, worthy IR is to fly in IR conditions, ie ice matters, RT matters, The pressure of real IR flying to gain a quality rating is to gain one that counts. Flying in simulated IR in CAVOK conditions........USELESS!
The cost may be less but it is the quality of training and not just a stamp in the book.
A sad fact is the level of quality training is lower than a well established reputable UK school.

RESULT....... more and more pilots failing SIM assessment flights and the level of competence being lower. Even worse is the fact that this will result one day in a hull loss.
Stick to quality UK schools, get the best from them and support UK flying before it loses out to sub standard Spanish options.

With a school like Bonus you know you will have a good quality IR that one day your life and others will depend on!
Too many complain about lack of schools in the UK and the sad falling numbers of clubs here in the UK and then take their business abroad.

Demand quality and not a few weeks in the sun in CAVOK. Learn your profession well.

It was taken for granted that an UK trained pilot was the best in the world lets support UK schools and maintain that standard!:D:ok::ok::ok:

dr boeing
11th Jul 2008, 21:01
Utter rubbish. "you have been warned"??? i seriously doubt your position in the industry. unquantified sweeping statement that I know for a FACT is NOT TRUE!!!
Perhaps a constructive response would be more helpfull.
:=:=

porridge
11th Jul 2008, 22:04
Their students and instructors who have had interviews and sim checks with us, have been shockingly bad! So much so, that (unofficially of course) a CV with that FTO on goes straight in the bin. We are not the only airline to have this policy.
Interesting quote - I wonder which airlines have this policy towards this company? Just the one school or are there others? Seems a little selective methinks, or is it just someone with a gripe? At least, like many other of the smaller schools, their students are tested by reputable CAA Staff Examiners? They must have the most appalling pass record if the quote above is true.
As for the Spanish IR - well..... by all accounts the IMC rating test is a harder nut to crack than this! On good authority I understand the CAA are beginning to look a bit closer on what is going on there. For instance it would appear from the logbooks submitted the there is a very big differential between people doing their IR Modular in Spain and people doing the integrated in the UK. Seems like the Spanish contingent seem to have a very high pass rate versus hours done. Mostly bang on hours and first time passes. Well even the best integrated Schools in the UK cannot boast a similar success rate. A little bird tells me that the CAA are considering endorsing the UK issued CPL with the state of initial IRT on it as industry is concerned that the Spanish are taking the Michael on this. Similarly so are the employers who are complaining that some candidates are nowhere near the mark on the assessments and are wondering how these people passed their IR's with the CAA Examiners. Of course they are making the assumption that the candidates are taking the test in UK with CAA Staff Examiners as there is nothing in the license to indicate otherwise.
For my money I'd still take as the Gold Standard someone who has passed the UK IRT - so comment about any schools having the the CV's being binned by one or more airlines as being a little far fetched in my humble opinion, perhaps those who have passed their IR's in sunnier climes perhaps, but UK modular schools - I think not!

mavisbacon
12th Jul 2008, 06:29
IR Removed ? Really ? Prey tell how did this individual pass the IRT then, not to mention a 170.

dr boeing
12th Jul 2008, 08:13
Mercenary Pilot

Firstly let me tell you I am not an instructor at Bonus Aviation, in fact I do not hold or ever have held an instructors rating, I am in fact as my PPRuNe name suggests a B737 pilot with a large UK based airline with a just a few thousand hours on Jets!
How do I know about Bonus – well for 2 reasons I fly with a couple of colleagues who were trained by Bonus and both of them speak highly of the company’s training record and secondly I was invited by a colleague to look at the Jet Simulator that is in the Bonus Engineering hangar. I spoke to some of the instructors and actually saw one of them fly the Jet Sim. I have to say I was impressed by both this Instructors skills on the Jet and the pretty impressive simulator itself. I also have another colleague who is a senior TRE with my airline who has had more than a little contact with Bonus in the past who just evaluated the same Jet Sim and he was very impressed with the simulator too. However, he mentioned too that the quality of instruction at Bonus was very good in his opinion, so I am interested in your very broad brushed statement that your airline and others bin the applications from people trained by Bonus! I will in the meantime speak to our recruitment department next week and check if our airline has any policy of this nature in place with either Bonus or any other training provider.
What I can tell you is that there is certainly more than enough evidence that the IR’s gained in Spain seem to be a waste of time and money. This is much more that just rumoursamongst my airline colleague I have heard this from friends in the corporate jet and air taxi world too. I would very much welcome comment by any other airline assessor pilots if they have any similar feedback on people with Spanish IR’s. What I do find particularly painful is that I did my initial IR with the CAA and that I made the standard, but the CAA issue IR’s done in Spain on a UK license which lead people to believe that the holders of these IR’s have been trained and tested by our CAA implying that these people have met the same standards I did!
MP your other comment that the CAA removed someone’s IR during a type rating test is certainly something very new to me – I just don’t know of or have ever heard of such a thing having happened. I doubt if the CAA has even the authority to remove an IR completely from a license. If this did happen I am certain that words were had with the CAA Staff Examiner who did the initial IRT by the Chief Flight Examiner! Are you sure that the person involved had not got a Spanish IR issued on the CAA CPL?
The issues you raise are of some concern to me so I will speak to my various contacts within the airlines and the CAA to see whether any of these statements of yours bear any substance.
MP it seems like you have an axe to grind against Bonus Aviation – perhaps you might like to PM me and we could speak off the record about your comments?
Looking forward to hearing from you or not as the case may be?

Regards, Dr Boeing

sparx007
12th Jul 2008, 09:12
i don't know much but i have had a few recommendations from some current airline pilots to look into Bonus for CPL/IR. Just thought i would share this. I heard they are a good outfit so i to would be suprised if the views made in the intial post held any substance!!!! Similarly i have looked into Spain in the past for the IR, more recently i have been hearing alot of negative comments towards completing the IR out there, more so recently than previously as said to be honest but it has led me to make the decision to complete mine here in the UK. Now as i said, i don't know much, but just thought i would share what i have heard.

Sparx

breakbreak
12th Jul 2008, 12:11
if Spaniards' flying is as good as their football team, then they must be good. :)

Few people I know did it in Spain because of cost and weather, they were happy with the service.

Have friends who work in recruitment and they say CVs are already piling up on their desks and we are not in full recession yet so guess Spanish or the UK IR is totally irrelevant at the moment. :rolleyes:
Secondly, it would be illegal to discrimante against someone on that basis as they have JAA qualifications so watch what you say as you might have employment lawyers paying you a little visit. :E
And who knows dr boeing, you may have to seek employment in Spain soon but they may bin your CV on the basis that you did IR in the UK.

Most of the pilots I met who worked with reputable airlines were ex OAT, Jerez or Cabair students.
Bonus students employment?? Maybe Ryanair likes and you must pay TRs etc. Classier companies? Never :=

ICEMAN747
12th Jul 2008, 15:25
One of the guys that was ahead of me at London Metropolitan did their IR at Bonus and have nothing but praise for them. I'm still studying my ATPL written exams at the moment but have no hesitation in going to Bonus to do my training. Went there recently and spent time talking to Jo who was very helpful and she introduced me to Adam and Jem (two of the IR instructors) who spent time with me showing me around the aircraft and explaining the course to me. Both instructors seem to bend over backwards to help you. My friend said that even though they were busy Jem and Adam would start work early in the morning to enable you to get your training in.
Peter Godwin comes very highly recommended as well.
Their price of £15,995 is very reasonable although it does not include approach fees etc., and they cannot really help the fuel surcharge at the moment (you only have to look at the forecourts to realise that).
Definitely my choice of school. Can't go too far wrong with them I'm sure.

SlingsbyT67M
12th Jul 2008, 21:14
Completed my ATPLs at Oxford and have now been with Bonus for 2 weeks. It was an initial difficult decision when deciding to complete my IR/CPL with Bonus. However without sounding like I am trying to sell their servics (if they were bad I would not hesitate to let you know) I can honestly say that its one of the best schools I have ever attended. I can honestly say that the standard of instruction that I am receiving is superb!!! The instructors are patient, knowledable and are truly interested in making sure you get the most out of ever lesson, so much so that they are willing to come in on weekends to help you out when you have a problem (as is what happened to me today). To clear up the quantity versus quality debate, although I have not finished as of yet (things may change) I honestly believe that I am getting both at an incredible price. Again, if things change I wont hesitate to let you know.

On the Spanish debate I am only hearing bad things. The general feel amongst all the students that I know (some of which are doing Waypoint at Oxford) are saying that the UK IMC is a harder rating. Personally I wouldnt go down that route, too dodgy for me.

So for all those negative Ppruners - Please please please please stop being so negative. Make comments only when you are 100% sure of what you are saying or better still have actually attended the school in question. That way you may just come across as actually knowing what you are talking about.

breakbreak
12th Jul 2008, 22:26
I can honestly say that its one of the best schools I have ever attended. I can honestly say that the standard of instruction that I am receiving is superb!!!

So how many schools have you attended and how do you know what standards are like at other school? Are you by any chance instructor at Bonus?

This thread is bombarded by Bonus employees, I cant be bothered to read this gibberish anymore.
Good luck to your students. :sad:

SlingsbyT67M
12th Jul 2008, 22:45
BreakBreak to say that I find you comment foolish and ignorant is probably an understatement. Its your kind that make me feel sick to the pit of my stomach every time I read Prune. NO I am not a Bonus instructor and just to set the record straight its the 3rd school I have attended. Not that would make an ounce of difference. Why is it that every time someone makes a positive statement on Prune Tw***ts like you have to ruin it for every body else. May I suggest you take you own advise and stay away for good.

captain_flynn
13th Jul 2008, 01:13
I can honestly say that its one of the best schools I have ever attended. I can honestly say that the standard of instruction that I am receiving is superb!!!

I'm with you 100%. I'm happily settled with Bonus and like you said the instructors are most helpful.

I havent flown for a while due to the poor weather recently. Will try and fly sometime next week if Ron's got any slots available. :ok:

ICEMAN747
13th Jul 2008, 07:30
How the hell do you know that this thread is "bombarded by Bonus employees". Have you got nothing better to do ? Have you attended a course with Bonus ? No, I think not else you wouldn't be saying these things. GET A LIFE !!

As I said before, the instructors that I've met have all been very good and this seems a very friendly school who, at the end of the day, offer the CPL/IR course at a very good price and who are wholly interested in their students - apart from your comments and just a few others all I can see are positive things about Bonus !

Nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned - will still be going there just as soon as I've passed my ATPL writtens and Adam and Jem are my choice of instructors.

phantomf4
13th Jul 2008, 19:31
BREAK BREAK - It seems only to be you that has anything bad to say about Bonus. Most of the comments on Prune offer nothing but praise for the school. Peter Godwin the Head of Training runs a very tight ship and your comments are, quite frankly, a load of C**P !

Simon150
17th Jul 2008, 09:52
I am a couple of weeks away from my final IR test with Bonus - doing it part-time and have nothing but praise for everybody at Bonus. I am not an instructor, I couldn't live on the wages :-( but am very happy with the instruction I have recieved so far.

I echo previous comments whereby the IR instructors are great and willing to fly/sim evenings and weekends to get you through. Very flexible and friendly environment. I am not sure about the cost aspects - I have been paying 'as I go', and don't want to think about the total cost, but when the course is complete - I will figure out the total cost and post it up. I don't think its going to be too far beyond - certainly no where near the 20 grand somebody quoted earlier.

I am not going to offer any response to the negative comments on this thread on the basis that from what I have seen they are completely unfounded (my opinion), but from my point of view these guys are very good. I personally like the availability of the aircraft, having 2 seminoles and 2 arrows with virtually identical cockpit fits makes transition much easier. They have access to another seminole if nessesary, but the aircraft seem to go 'tech' very rarely and although not Twinstars, are nice inside and everything works apart from the A/Ps.

Of course, If I fail my test I reserve the right to change my opinion ;-)

captain_flynn
17th Jul 2008, 11:57
Hey Simon150,

I think you also have access to a twin star too if you want? I'm sure one of the bonus members mentioned that we have one (apparently its just owned by someone else - abit like the C150 G-BDOW) Its just not mentioned on the website.

breakbreak
17th Jul 2008, 12:22
did JOC course with some of their students and instructor nearly threw them out of the sim.

Groundloop
17th Jul 2008, 12:51
and instructor nearly threw them out of the sim.

But he couldn't - because he'd thrown you out first and you were blocking the door.:ok:

breakbreak
17th Jul 2008, 14:24
good sense of humour groundpoop :yuk:

SlingsbyT67M
18th Jul 2008, 21:01
BreakBreak thought you werent coming back to read this gibberish. Are you sure that you arnt jut a disgruntled Bonus employee.

Leezyjet
12th Aug 2008, 13:43
Anyone got any more info on Bonus ?.

I'm thinking of switching schools to do my ME/IR as not happy with the treatment I have had at my current school (although the instruction is great, the rest of the set up leaves alot to be desired)

:confused:

coodem
13th Aug 2008, 17:18
I did my IR/CPL and FI there, No problems at all. Well apart from the weather, but they don't control that, so can't blame them. Took less than 3 months to do the whole lot, I found all instructors willing to help out. Everyone was very friendly. Most guys were getting first time passes, very few partials. Don't remember of any failures when I was there.

Simon150
22nd Aug 2008, 07:14
FYI - the whole course (ME-IR) - part time - minimum hours (50) with Bonus

approx. £13'500

I am at work at the moment so can't get the exact figure - but it's within a couple of hundered of the above. I could break it down if anybody was REALLY interested.....

Oh yeah - that included a twin test and an extra hour of twin training too (since I did my ME training somewhere else).

Just goes to prove:-

a/ despite all the abuse from PPRUNE I got for suggesting doing IR part-time, it can be done

b/ ref (a) - it's not easy doing a ME-IR part-time (especially with a new-born halfway through the course!!!!)

c/ it won't cost £20'000

d/ Cheers to Bonus - especially A.S. - couldn't have done it without you guys.

Simon150
22nd Aug 2008, 07:19
And no, before some smart-arse pipes up - the examiner wasn't employed by Bonus, and he told me that he acts as ME-IR examiner for ALL schools at Cranfield.