PDA

View Full Version : Listening in to UK Police ASU radio

chop_chop
27th Jun 2008, 20:00
OK, so I'm bored, and the Police heli is hanging around watching the local scrotes...

What's the score with listening in to their radio (I already have an air-radio)? Are they encrypted? Is it legal? Does having a FRTOL make any difference?

Cheers!

JTobias
27th Jun 2008, 20:12
Errrrrrrrrr dunno, but if you hadn't told the gazillion people that read this forum, nobody would have known!!!!!!!!! ;)

I guess if you're not using the info you hear to pass on intel to the local scrotes or villains and you don't use the info for any illegal purposes yourself, then there is no harm done.

I suspect however the reality is that it's a big no-no :=

If it were me, I would cease and desist immediateley, surrender myself and the equipment to the local authorities and take my punishment !

NOT!!!

Have fun and enjoy.

Joel

Fortyodd2
27th Jun 2008, 20:24
Chop Chop

1. It's a no no.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. None whatsoever.

.......But, if you're that keen to know what's going on ~ join up and they'll give you a radio to play with!

paco
27th Jun 2008, 20:32
It is illegal to listen to police broadcasts

phil

chop_chop
27th Jun 2008, 20:48
Cheers people - encrypted radio puts paid to that then...

As a low time PPL(H), I can't see a viable route to getting a play with their toys:

spend £loads to get the correct licences / hours
spend ages doing it
lose my current earnings whilst doing it
take a gamble that a role will come up, and if it does, take a pay cutThat said, I'd be living the dream... If only I didn't have the wife, kids, mortgage and were 10yrs younger...

Gordy
27th Jun 2008, 20:52
So out of interest--is it encrypted or just have tx and rx tones? And where is written that it is illegal? Can someone post the law???

chop_chop
27th Jun 2008, 21:23
Googled it now - looks like it's a criminal offence under section 48 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006. This page refers: Guidance on Receive-Only Radio Scanners | Ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/guidance)

So it sounds like the plane spotters with their radios are committing an offence, whereas I guess that those of us with a FRTOL would be ok!

frostbite
27th Jun 2008, 21:35
I think all UK police forces use TETRA for their communications nowadays and that includes the airborne divisions.

Spoilsports.

west lakes
27th Jun 2008, 21:37
Of course the sticky at the top (nearly) of the ATC thread has already covered this!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

mlc
27th Jun 2008, 22:06
Two cans and some string are more effective than Tetra.

Sven Sixtoo
27th Jun 2008, 22:18
Plod helos talk on air traffic like any other aircraft.

The operational comms are on UK Airwave which is a secure encrypted system.

Unless you have the resources of a Government you are not going to be able to listen in. If you have the resources of a Government, remember that life imprisonment remains the penalty for most ex-capital offences (like espionage).

Sven

chop_chop
27th Jun 2008, 23:04
So, one question still remains:

does my FRTOL allow me to listen in to any ATC / pilot's conversation, or just when I'm flying? From the WT Act, I'd say I'm licenced to do so.Reality appears (from OFCOM's prosecution stats) that they're more bothered about broadcasters / interference.

Fortyodd2
27th Jun 2008, 23:19
"Two cans and some string are more effective than Tetra".

.....Only if you keep the string tight!!!

on21
28th Jun 2008, 07:21
TETRA is ****.

Sorry you broke, say again.

It's good that nobody listens in anymore, but it certainly isn't the god send that it was hailed to be.

Skyshout's ok if the string goes really loose!

paco
28th Jun 2008, 07:23
You naturally can't help overhearing when you are flight crew, but when you are not flight crew and therefore not really entitled to use the privileges of your radio licence, you should not be listening in. As a reminder, the definition of flight crew in the ANO says that you are flight crew when you undertake to fly in an aircraft as pilot or navigator ...

That's paraphrased, but the word undertake is there, and when you are in the pub listening in, you are not undertaking to be flight crew and therefore arguably not entitled to listen (on the other hand you are not required to produce your licence either to anyone who challenges you......)

Phil

jayteeto
28th Jun 2008, 07:24
We might talk on ATC radio channels, but only to say where we are/are going. If you can see us then you know that already. Tetra works using mobile phone type technology and comes in varying forms of security. To be honest, I listen to transmissions all bloody day and would recommend that you paint a wall and watch it dry. It will be much more interesting......

VfrpilotPB/2
28th Jun 2008, 08:05
TETRA, is'nt that the one that poaches yer eggs....:ooh: ??

on21
28th Jun 2008, 12:11
VfrpilotPB/2 certainly not, it's perfectly safe! Would we be using it otherwise?

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2008, 13:41
You naturally can't help overhearing when you are flight crew, but when you are not flight crew and therefore not really entitled to use the privileges of your radio licence, you should not be listening in. As a reminder, the definition of flight crew in the ANO says that you are flight crew when you undertake to fly in an aircraft as pilot or navigator ...

Which makes the repeater speakers in many flying clubs potentially illegal.....

Despite what the WTA says, I can't recall a legal precedent with regard to a successful prosecution of someone listening to ATC or aircraft; I've been in this game for well over thirty years.

I think that it would take an authorised person to challenge someone to see an RT licence. Again, what is the legal definition of an authorised person? Policeman, CAA ops inspector, ATCO, Vicar or tea lady? Perhaps a case of "You show me yours first".

I might argue in court that as a pilot, sometimes listening to aviation transmissions when not flying is continuation training.

frostbite
28th Jun 2008, 14:21
The police often received useful information from people listening illegally.

Don't know if it's still the case, but people in the US were almost encouraged to do so for that very reason.

allyn
28th Jun 2008, 18:35
....in google and look for websites dedicated to scanner radios in the UK. You'll probably get more info that way than from here.

DBChopper
29th Jun 2008, 11:14
TETRA for all its airborne limitations and expensiveness is at least, very, very secure..

Sadly, it has also proved itself to be very, very crap operationally. It is, without doubt, the most unreliable piece of kit I have used in 22 years and frequently finds itself thrown onto the floor of the car in frustration (which, admittedly, probably doesn't help :E).

Helinut
29th Jun 2008, 12:56
And has cost £billions to achieve that rather mediocre level of performance :mad:

muffin
29th Jun 2008, 17:54
It is however gradually becoming the de facto standard for public security comms throughout the world with the exception of the USA.

Sulley
30th Jun 2008, 08:39
One tin and half the string = TETRA :oh:
Like Jayteeto says It really isn't worth listening to.Plus some forces now have blogs of jobs attended so if you were that curious you could find out that way.

Mick85
1st Jul 2008, 19:07
Just to add a bit of balance TETRA works pretty well in th NW in my experience we can monitor 4 channels, listen to whichever area we want as we transit the area resulting in very quick response. Compared to the old 138Mhz and bar connects it is brilliant.