PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day and Badge

ARINC
27th Jun 2008, 15:53
Gentlemen we have a Day (Today) (http://www.veterans-uk.info/veteransday08/index.htm), anyone going ? and a badge (http://www.veterans-uk.info/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm)

Good Old Boris, Free Travel in London (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1029917/Boris-Johnson-rewards-injured-war-veterans-unflinching-contribution-free-public-transport-London.html)

reds & greens
27th Jun 2008, 16:34
Well Done Boris indeed!
Wether prompted or not, let's hope its the start of more recognition towards our national heros.

ZH875
27th Jun 2008, 17:31
And some people actually voted for Ken Livingstone.

Nice one Boris. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
27th Jun 2008, 18:45
I already have my bus pass but a tube one will be more than welcome. Shame Mrs PN will have to go by bus :) although she may be an eligible dependent:

The Daily Mail source is here:

Greater London Authority - Press Release (http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=17533)

Note what Ross Kemp says.

While I think I will be eligible, what about those WW2 veterans who do not get a war pension but are now very frail even if still active? They can use the buses and very few will use the tube so it could be extended to older vets at huge PR benefit and very little cost.

PS,

Shame the Veterans badge uses a clip pin rather than the ubiquitos clutch pin that has been in use for over 40 years. Just had to take mine to a jewellers to be repaired and modified.

exscribbler
27th Jun 2008, 21:52
I know it's not really on thread but I was at Headingley last week for the Yorkshire - Lancashire T20 and they were letting in FOC service personnel in uniform - with ID, of course. It's not much but it's a start! :ok:

One day we'll treat our service people and veterans properly. The Broons have yet to convince me (or anyone else for that matter) why we can't do it NOW. :ugh:

Beatriz Fontana
28th Jun 2008, 08:24
That's a superb gesture that the UK government should follow...

Suez medal next, please, before the old boys die out.

anotherthing
28th Jun 2008, 09:03
If I read it correctly though, you can only apply for th ebadge if you stopped serving before 1994 - is that correct? what about the people who were proud to serve but whose service ended after that date?

taxydual
28th Jun 2008, 09:08
This should tell you all you need to know.

UK Armed Forces Veterans Lapel Badge (http://www.veterans-uk.info/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm)

anotherthing
28th Jun 2008, 10:52
Yep,

read that thanks -

It says under criteria (in total)

All those who have served in HM Armed Forces.

but on the application forms it states

Men and women who served in HM Armed Forces up to and inlcuding 31 December 1994...

Which to me is saying that people who may have joined well before this date but left after 2004 are not eligible... a bit off really as those people are probably all prod of their service and of the work that the members of the Armed Forces continue to do.

Wearing this pin not only lets people know you once served, but far more importantly it shows your pride in current members....

Rigger1
28th Jun 2008, 12:28
It says on the veterans website that those who left after 2004 should receive it automatically on leaving the Services.

Mister-T
28th Jun 2008, 13:14
The veterans Badge is being released incrementally, so as each new batch is made the availabilty to apply nears todays date.

The Helpful Stacker
28th Jun 2008, 13:54
I was issued one (well thrown one by a bored clothing stores wallah) last year when I de-kitted.

Well done Boris (and all the train operating companies) for introducing free travel for war pension recipients. Could you have ever seen Red Ken, friend of the IRA, extremist Islamic elements and very anti-military ever introducing something like this?

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2008, 14:14
Well done Mr. Mayor, Boris.

Let's get some real pride back into our society and especially for those who make sacrifices for us. It'll do us all good, not just the direct recipients. :ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Jun 2008, 19:49
ARINC,

You forgot the Ladies who have also served. Other than that, good post!

Duns:ok:

Mrs D'Sorderlee made me post!!!

Pontius Navigator
28th Jun 2008, 19:58
anotherthing,

What it actually means is that your service should have been before the given date. Once you bcome a veteran then you may either apply, if for instance you were national service, or will be issued one when you retire.

I notice more and more people wearing their badges. Eventually you will have everyone of a certain age wearing their badge (if entitled) with a few not. Then there will be the Walts as badges become available on eBay which they will, especially if they start to attract recognition.

And who said this Government never did anything for the servicemen?

PS, the pin is cr^p.

ArthurR
28th Jun 2008, 20:33
Nice one Boris, I have my vets badge but I'm in Germany and can't make it. But then again, get a few more like Boris and I might want to return to my birth place, :ok:

Cpl Plod
28th Jun 2008, 21:08
Then there will be the Walts as badges become available on eBay which they will

£41 with 16 hours to go!!!!

EBay Vets Badge (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H-M-Armed-Forces-Veteran-Badge_W0QQitemZ230265071765QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230265071 765&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Anyone got any contacts with a bored clothing stores wallah;)

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
28th Jun 2008, 21:25
Well done indeed Boris !

I shall make good use of mine.

Three cheers for Mr Mayor.

Pontius Navigator
28th Jun 2008, 21:43
At £41 and climbing means we need to watch our backs when wearing our pins.

I have no idea where my box or papers are. Maybe just as well. I hope who ever sold it on got VFM.

ARINC
28th Jun 2008, 23:50
You forgot the Ladies who have also served. Other than that, good post!

Duns

Mrs D'Sorderlee made me post!!!

Quite right..Apologies for the oversight M'aaam ;)

tired-flyboy
29th Jun 2008, 10:17
Anotherthing.....

Yes you can apply for the badge if you fall between the time scales given on the website.

How do i know, i wrote a nice little email and got a reply from the coordinator, also an attachement of the application form (slightly ammended).

PM if you want a copy of it.

Milt
30th Jun 2008, 01:53
Good turn up of expat UK Vets in Canberra, Australia.
Chaplain Roland Wort RN tried to explain choice of 27 June for Veteran's Day. Proposition was that Queen Victoria presented the first Victoria Cross on this day way back in the 1860s.
As a visiting Oz vet I was amazed to be seated next to Des Hall who claimed, as I do, to have flown all 3 RAF V bombers. He looks well preserved and mentioned that he once was OC Waddington. We both intend to reminisce by 'opening the hangar doors'.

anotherthing
30th Jun 2008, 14:26
tired-flyboy

thanks for the info - I will put in an application as I think wearing it is one of many ways of showing support for current members :ok:

Pontius Navigator
30th Jun 2008, 16:53
I have suggested to the VA that the offical courtesy slip has the receipients name on it. This will at least stop people flourishing a piece of paper saying "look, it's official"

Flatus Veteranus
30th Jun 2008, 20:19
I dunno Beatriz. Doubt they will ever do a Suez Medal as we were not officially at war with anyone - merely defending ourselves. They awarded the Canal Zoners a GSM (or a new clasp) some years ago, and I got mine. And I am not minded to turn up my toes for a while yet!

For most people life in the Canal Zone was a penance between about 1951 and 55, when the Zone was on Active Service. Living conditions were poor - under canvas for many - families had to live on base in the few quarters that were available. It was a full length tour - none of this 6 months detachment lark - and the wogs got more of us than the Iraqis and Taleban have managed so far. And yet morale on the squadron in which I was privileged to serve was outstanding. I knew an Air Trafficker who did a full tour mostly under canvas at Fayid, went home, and since he was a bachelor, found himself back in the same tent six months later.

There was a campaign medal for Operation MUSKETEER in 56/57, the abortive attempt to reoccupy the zone after Nasser nationalised the Canal, but that was a doddle from the air forces' point of view. I do not believe we lost any more aircraft than we would have in normal training in those days.

Pontius Navigator
30th Jun 2008, 20:28
FV, welcome back. I still have a copy of that TS letter sent to you if you want a copy.

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Jun 2008, 22:42
I have 4 years left to serve and at my exit point I, for one will not be applying for, or ever wearing the badge. The pension and gratuity are appreciated but the notion that I am going to advertise my previous employment in this manner is plain daft.

I am not for one minute suggesting that it will make a terrorist target of those that wear them but it will potentially make being in public problematic.

There are plenty of folk out there who do not agree with the military and all that we stand for. There are plenty of folk out there who violently disagree with what we are currently up in both theatres. What are the odds, if out for a quiet drink on some drunken Muppet deciding he's tougher than any "military type" and decides to try and prove it :ugh:

Sorry but after eventually spending 38 odd years in the service of my country and all the dangers that go with that I look forward to the anonymity that civilian life offers and will not be courting any further grief courtesy of this badge :=

Pontius Navigator
1st Jul 2008, 06:31
SFFP,

I understand your sentiment however you are wrong not to accept your badge. You earnt it, you earnt it many times over.

I agree with you if you do not want to wear it; that is your call. However you must think of the future. Both your future when, 30 years hence, you march on a Remembrance Parade and all the others like yourself have their pin.

You must think of your children, and more likely your grandchildren. They want to know what granddad did. My paternal grandparents died before I was born; it took 50 years to even find out who they were. My maternal grandmother died over a 100 years ago however in her case I have photographs and jewellery; they mean a lot to me and my children. Her husband died over 50 years ago but I still have some of his momentoes - how about Captain - Left back// RA Punjab Football Tournament 1901-1902 K RHA. It weights 2oz, none of your plated non-tarnishing plastic stuff now.

I am a member of a club where possible half have done military service, 2 on carriers, 3 in the RAF and no doubt a few on national service. I have printed forms and will tell them of their entitlement.

Get your pin. All you others out there, get yours too.

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st Jul 2008, 08:18
PN,

Thanks for that but I guess we are cut from different cloth. I will look back on my time and have some fantastic memories but the day I leave is the day I leave it all behind me, so marching on Parades etc is simply not going to feature for me.

Mrs SFFP and I will be starting a new adventure which involves travel, moving to warmer climes and a complete change of lifestyle and we will be looking forward, not back.

That aside in amongst all this is the extreme bitterness I feel towards the morally and financially corrupt shower that are the current Labour Govt, their toady civil serpents and our spineless senior management. If they believe that a fitting reward for all the sacrifices that todays service folk make is a poxy badge that you have to ask for and comes through the post................:}

Gordon Brown can have mine and he can pin it to his rusty sheriffs badge which, for me anyway, is a fitting location for this worthless trinket :ugh:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Jul 2008, 12:57
Well, Veterans' Day certainly inspired some GUZZ pikeys;

'Disgraceful' thieves steal three more plaques from memorial (http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Disgraceful-thieves-steal-plaques-memorial/article-201577-detail/article.html)

THREE more bronze plaques honouring those who have died in battle for their country have been stolen by callous thieves from the navy memorial on Plymouth’s Hoe.

The Herald reported yesterday that one bronze plaque had been prised from the historic monument, causing outrage among veterans and servicemen.

However The Herald has learnt this morning that three more have been swiped by heartless thieves overnight.

The plaques are thought to have been levered off either late last night or in the early hours of this morning – and they could be sold for scrap.

The first was taken between Sunday night and Monday morning – just hours after the National Veterans Day celebrations.

Words fail.

Riskman
1st Jul 2008, 17:39
That aside in amongst all this is the extreme bitterness I feel towards the morally and financially corrupt shower that are the current Labour Govt, their toady civil serpents and our spineless senior management. If they believe that a fitting reward for all the sacrifices that todays service folk make is a poxy badge that you have to ask for and comes through the post...........

SFFP

I share your sentiments to a large extent. However there is another badge, available only to serving and ex-serving members of the armed forces, which can be obtained by joining the Royal British Legion.

Personally I feel that Veterans Day is a bandwagon jumped on by the morally and financially corrupt shower that are the current Labour Govt and that it detracts from Remembrance Day which, itself, shouldn't be all about the ones who didn't make it. It's also about those who nearly made it; the ones damaged mentally and physically to the extent that re-adjustment to civvy street is a constant and sometimes unwinnable battle.

As long as there are people willing to work to help these casualties I'm willing to fund them.

By the way, the Blackpool Gazette, back in January, reported that this weeks' shenanigans would be funded to the the tune of £100k, £25k coming from MoD. I hope it was worthwhile.

cazatou
2nd Jul 2008, 12:26
It is not often that I agree with SFFP, but in this case he does have a very valid point.

The Service Personnel & Veterans Agency send to me each year a newsletter which accompanies my P60 in respect of my Pension. No information has ever been sent in respect of a "Veterans Badge".

As they know my address and my Service Details why do they not just send me a badge with my P60? If I am in receipt of a Forces Pension I must be eligible for the badge; why should I have to apply for it?

How many Ex Service Personnel from Commonwealth Countries who served in the UK Armed Forces are entitled to this badge but have no knowledge of its existance?

PS
Having checked my 1st log book I see that 39 Years ago I was on "Active Service" in the Caribbean resupplying the British Forces who had retaken Anguilla after its unilateral declaration of Independence. Mind you, the hotel was only 2 star but it did have a pool, it was next to the beach and to the "Jabberwock" Beach Club.