PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye FS11,AL48.

rossi1
27th Jun 2008, 09:02
Just recieved a letter from our avtur suppliers Air total that they will no longer be supplying Jet a1 with anti icing additive FS11 which means our jet a1 facility will be redundant without major work been undertaken to modify our filter system,anybody know if all suppliers are doing the same and how will this affect turbine helicopters:confused:

Mick85
27th Jun 2008, 16:26
Seems industry wide Air BP are doing the same. Do not panic however, an injector system for AL48 can be installed between the filter and the pump. There are quite wide variations in flight manuals as to when additive is actually needed. eg EC135 minus 20, MD 902 minus 10 degrees celsius.
I am a bit of a bore (actually no, a lot of a bore) on this subject as it has affected my installation recently.so have done a lot of research into the options.
We have decided to bite the bullet and are having an injector installed to ensure corret dose and ease of application.
We have not decided when the additive will be added, but probably as temperatures approach zero C.

Overdrive
27th Jun 2008, 17:51
Why are suppliers stopping the inclusion of this/these additive(s)?

ShyTorque
27th Jun 2008, 21:32
Each type of aircraft should have some guidance in the RFM; not all helicopters need either additive (try the limitations section). The type I fly doesn't need additives due to the type of airframe filters fitted.

The reason for no longer supplying may be toxicity of the additives.

Mick85
28th Jun 2008, 06:30
The reason given is that it may cause degradation of filter monitor separators in fuel installations, resulting in reduced life and so increased cost. Our system has not been affected but I suppose the decision is being driven by those who pump vast quantities of Jet A1.

md 600 driver
28th Jun 2008, 07:22
if anyone becomes stuck i have some ex uk mil additive units steve