PDA

View Full Version : Spicejet...Expat jobs in India

Nevrekar
27th Jun 2008, 05:04
I have been getting quite a few queries and I apologize for not responding to all individually in a timely manner. I have been on vacation and expect to be back on campus in July.

Regarding the situation in India and expat Capts. Spicejet is still accepting applications and hiring to the best of my knowledge. However, with the reduction in flights, the 100-120 hrs a month of flying are non-existent I'm told. Most are getting around 80-85 hrs. Many days are now 2 sector days instead of the usual 4 sectors and 6 plus hrs.
Quality of life has perhaps improved, especially for those of us here with families. We probably will finally get 8-10 days off a month without having to keep fighting for it. For the single status expats who would rather fly the 120 hrs a month, they will not be too happy. More time in their hotel room, more beer to drink, more ceilings to stare at, and more money to spend. Those on a 2 month on/1 month off contract liked flying as much so they could coast during their off time. As you may know your öff time at Spicejet is unpaid.

Spicejet is getting new airplanes--Another 900ER due this week, but the deliveries will slow and they are planning to lease cockpit and cabin crew to other outfits (Nepal, Ras-al-Khaimah).

Future at Spicejet is hard to predict. If the DGCA enforces the 2010 ruling then we will be all out by summer of 2010. As long as the airline survives financially then I think we will be ok until then. I have no reports to indicate any dire financial situation as yet. I know JetAirways is losing 2 Million USD a day!! How long can this continue? If the loses continue then I think as expat contracts come to closure, they will not be renewed. It will be a purely financial decision. Ultimately you can't pay someone something you don't have.

Not to suggest a shark mentality, other outfits in other parts of the world are relishing the new supply of expat Capts, many of whom are planning to jump ship prior to the mass exodus that some have predicted. Boeing has said that the demand will drop 50% by 2012. Contract agencies are eager to sign on candidates as soon as they can get them.

I get emails almost every day for NG Capt slots elsewhere. For now, I am adopting a wait and see approach. I do not want to displace my family from India unless it is unavoidable.

Happy Flying