PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Operations/Flight Planner Job within the UK

Eros1410
26th Jun 2008, 14:11
Hello to everyone. :)

Im in need of some information help. Im 24 yrs old and currently in the RAF as an Air Traffic Assistant, which does include Flight Planning, but i am in the process of leaving.

My problem is that everytime i search for job vacancies with this industry, i keep coming up the same websites.

Can anyone help with any information on job vacancies, companies or even just pointing me in the right direction on how to search.

Also any advice on which jobs i can go for? as Im not sure which carrer path to take. :bored:

blue monday
26th Jun 2008, 14:19
Good luck - i was TG9 too. it took me 3 years to find a decent Ops Officer job, admitaley i gave up lookinf after 6 months and luckily one found me, but depends on where your looking - there seems to be a few jobs down south (they don't seem to be the best pay but its a job). If you look through this forum you will find plenty of refrances and advice, use the search fuction too

Eros1410
7th Jul 2008, 14:45
Nice one thanks for your help :) just wondered, do u have any advice on the best way to do the CV in relation to applying for Ops jobs? or any points? again thank you :ok:

blue monday
8th Jul 2008, 11:22
I would sugest a Functional CV detailing with bullet points your skills and would suggest you do not put down each posting as a different job, just state RAF Flt ops assistant dates then bullet point using good old phrase like, responsible for maintaining a legally accountable log (watch book). other good bullet point phrases are - accurate annotaion and discemination of critical flight safety data. What else! Maintaining a calm composure whilst working in high presure situations involving aircraft emergancies etc etc

FormerFlake
14th Jul 2008, 22:09
Stay in the RAF. I and other people have found the civy companies dont seem to appreciate the ex RAF Ops people as mcuh as they perhaps should. Unless you apply for somewhere with some ex-RAF types about you could easily get over looked.

VP8
15th Jul 2008, 14:41
I left Aunty Betty's flying club in 96 from TG9, there are the jobs out there. You've just got to be persistant and keep going for them.

Have you thought of the United Nations??

https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/vacancy/Display_Vac_List.aspx?lang=1200&OCCG=2

Operations in the field sections

I now work for the red team with Antonovs and have done for nearly 12 years.

Just persevere and maybe you will get recognised for the skills some of the TG9 guys have:ok:

VEEPS

uuili
24th Jul 2008, 16:13
Do flight planners need some kind of formal qualification? Are there many flight planning jobs available with civilian companies in the UK or do they generally advertise internally?

Thanks in advance

blue monday
24th Jul 2008, 17:36
I left Aunty Betty's flying club in 96 from TG9, there are the jobs out there. You've just got to be persistant and keep going for them.

Have you thought of the United Nations??

https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/...ng=1200&OCCG=2 (https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/vacancy/Display_Vac_List.aspx?lang=1200&OCCG=2)

Operations in the field sections

I now work for the red team with Antonovs and have done for nearly 12 years.

Just persevere and maybe you will get recognised for the skills some of the TG9 guys have:ok:

VEEPSWow, had a quick read, sounds like an awesome ops job, although location details are a little scarce but i might send my CV. Recruitment is always open but how often do vacancies come about?