PDA

View Full Version : Accepting PA spine but stuck on AFPS 75

chumbleywarner
26th Jun 2008, 13:18
Just to let you all know, I had the OTT, Offer to transfer, sent through before being offered PA spine. I elected to stay on AFPS 75 for the obvious financial benefits of having to leave at my 16/38 point. Having accepted PA, I found that I was still stuck on AFPS 75. Having written a complaint to the IRDS, Internal Resolution Dispute Service, they have found an 'anomoly' with my details and given me another OTT onto AFPS 05. I know there are a lot of us out there who could have been caught in a similar trap. Hope this may help others who are looking to transfer onto the new pension.

Background Noise
26th Jun 2008, 14:08
Thanks for that. Are you now planning to stay until 55 then? Presumably, if not, AFPS 75 might still be the better option?

chumbleywarner
26th Jun 2008, 14:11
I'll stay for a few more years due to CEA, will leave early on PVR but having looked at the figures i am better off on AFPS 05.

penny pincher
26th Jun 2008, 14:15
Good for you chumbly,:D
Without wishing to pry, what was the anomoly and what is the address for the IRDS, and is it tri service? We of the green skin tend to move slowly when it comes to such issues....:bored:

Roland Pulfrew
26th Jun 2008, 14:26
will leave early on PVR but having looked at the figures i am better off on AFPS 05.

Chumley

I am intrigued by that statement. IIRC, if you PVR off AFPS05 you don't get your pension until age 65 so you lose any payments between PVR exit date and age 65. That's quite a lot of cash to be giving up. Or am I misremembering the details?

chumbleywarner
26th Jun 2008, 14:36
IRDP sorry thought it was called IRDS

Armed Forces Personnel Admin Agency
Mail Point 480
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow G2 8EX
Tel. 0141 224 3600
Mil. 95461 3600

All info on this can be found on Defence Intranet

Background Noise
26th Jun 2008, 15:12
Roland - yes you are. On AFPS 05, if you leave before 55 you get an early departure payment or EDP which is roughly 1/2 your preserved pension until 55, then 3/4 until 65 then the full pension (and a second gratuity).

However, some people still benefit under AFPS 05 due to it taking into account service before age 21 and other things which unfortunately don't apply to me!

contactin
1st Jul 2008, 15:21
Hi Cumberlywarner

What was the anomoly. RN NCO Aircrew did not have PAS when we had to make the decision to transfer so it could not be factored into the what if.

Last year PAS for RN Aircrew NCO's was introduced. There have been several submissions to try and get the chance to re-decide on pension options but all have failed. I was luck in as much that I did TX to 05 and was then selecetd for PA most of the WO's who have been selected for PA were on 05.

It would be nice to have something to throw at pay and pensions to re-open the box for the other lads'

Mister-T
1st Jul 2008, 21:49
Contactin

I am one of the AAC Aircrew whom at the OTT point was told we were overmanned and not a hope of PA spine. I stayed on 75 as DAAVN were all doom and gloom and we even lost our FRI shortly after.

Then hey presto the offer to go onto the PA spine and just like the rest I asked about revisiting my OTT as the circumstances were very diferent. The answer I recieved was no but it did start the ball rolling and I was assigned a case officer at SPVA. Over the months and after several emails and phone calls I did get a second OTT but only once I had found an error on the original paperwork which was issued in 2005.

My advice for you to pass on is to seek a copy of the original paperwork and look it over very carefully for any mistake no matter how small and then send it back to the SPVA and await a response.

I am now happily on 05, PAS and happy as a pig in, well, you know what!

Rent-An-Eng
29th Jul 2008, 20:27
Mister-T et al,

Interested to trawl through your experiences ref PA and the Pension 75 debacle. Looking for anybody elses thoughts or problems.
Have recently got the PA email (no letter, paperless office!) and have been swithering about changing over from initial engagement (22).
I spoke to a very 'uninterested soul' at JPAC who mentioned that there was a 'open window' for changing between the 2 pension schemes but that closed on 31 Apr 06.
I really dont remember that one, perhaps I was elsewhere at the time and some sand got into the JPA?
Was this promulgated to anywhere or is this a wee lie?
Still looking at defecting to the AFPS 05 if I'm gonna stay in and take the PA scheme. Any other ideas or advice?
Cheers
:ugh:

R-A-E

Sloppy Link
29th Jul 2008, 21:51
I too am in this spot, Mr T, we have spoken. The key is the OTT being incorrect, if this is not the case then (as I am now), you are stuffed. I have been rebuffed on my first attempt, I am looking for a financial legal eagle to take my case on, there is a lot of cash at stake here. Any help gratefully received.

SL

Prat At The Back
30th Jul 2008, 03:17
If you PVR and leave; spend more than 30 days "out" and then rejoin; elect to repay the gratuity; you will find that the more than 30 days part means you will have to be put on AFPS 05 when you rejoin. Now you are PAS on AFPS 05 and only lost 30 days service.

Of course you may not be offered your job back, but in these times you probably would.

Mister-T
30th Jul 2008, 11:58
Rent-An-Eng

My advice to you is to contact the SPVA in writing and ask for a copy of your Option To Transfer (OTT) paperwork that you should have received in 2005. What you will recieve is new paperwork that is automated given your recorded circumstances at the time as no copies of what was originally sent it seems were kept.

If you can disprove any of the information on that document (In my case it was run out date) then you can argue the case and hopefully get a second chance.

I am not sure you will be able to prove you did not receive it in the first place but in for a penny etc.

Lastly I was presented with several hurdles along the way and once or twice I nearly faltered but perserverance won the day and so keep niggling.

I am happy to speak to anyone on the matter so drop me a pm with a phone number.

Bitberg7
30th Jul 2008, 15:33
I heard about the errors on some Personal Benefits Statements, and fortunately Mrs Bitberg7 had filed my original in her filing system (I had left it lying around the house somewhere.) Lo and behold, the calculation they had used to work out my pension at my 38 point on AFPS05 bore no relation to the formula provided in the Pensions brochure - it was about £1500 out. When I wrote to them with this fact, I was sent a new PBS and the option to transfer to AFPS 05, which I immediately took - I'm quite happy with my workload, lifestyle and level of fun at the moment (probably a minority of one), so am planning on staying til 55, and then living at least 30 years to spend all that pension. I know of at least one other pilot who had the same mistake on his PBS, so it is worth hunting around to find your original. Best of luck...

Sloppy Link
30th Jul 2008, 18:02
Beware the "out for 30 days" urban myth, when I confronted SPVA with this they agreed but added that on re-enlistment, AFPS05 would only apply from the new joining date, prior sevice would still be on AFPS75.

Still looking for a legal eagle to assist, anyone in pprune land got a good contact?

sargs
30th Jul 2008, 20:45
Just to let you all know, I had the OTF, Opportunity to finagle, sent through before being offered a spine. I elected to stay on PVR ASAP for the obvious financial benefits of having to leave as soon as things got tough. Having accepted a spine, I found that I was still stuck on LetsBangOut 75. Having written a complaint to the IRDS, Indulgent Retraction of Dodgy Status, they have found a ‘lack of conviction’ with my details and given me yet another chance to make up my mind. Hope this may help others who are looking to make their minds up 3 years after the event.

HTQFI
31st Jul 2008, 08:04
Sloppy

I have considerable knowledge on this subject and have gone some way down the legal route, so far without sucess, in order to force the SVPAA to pay two periods of service all under AFPS 05. Their line has been that the OTT promising this on transfer to PA spine was in error, and that only my second period of service counted under AFPS 05.

Feel free to PM me if you need further info. The next step for me was litigation, which at the time appeared a step too far.

Sloppy Link
1st Aug 2008, 18:42
HTQFI,
This is the realisation I am coming to. Bu&&er.

The Apprentice
9th Aug 2008, 21:08
Try transfering between services, I am and they have just offered me the chance to change to 05. Infact apparently it happens automatically but I have the option to write and ask to remain on 75.

As I am looking to obtain PA SPine from new service that should suit me nicely :ok:

DES155
12th Aug 2008, 14:41
Hello Lee,

Like you i have been offered PAS, am i reading your notice correctly and there is a way of transfering on the the New pension scheme??

If this is right, how did you go about changing over ?? If this is the casde then PAS suddenly looks a great deal better than just a job to 55..

Cheers for your help...

Darren Shaw

Hueymeister
13th Aug 2008, 00:03
Am just onto PA myself, but did not move across to 05 when the PA spine offer was made as I wanted the option to leave at 38. A colleague has today told me that the EDP on 05 is paid annually from exit to 55 etc. I understood it to be a one off payment at exit then one got bugger all else until 55/65? Am routing through the MOD website as I type. It will have an impct on whether I try and transfer to 05 or I go early on PA.

Rent-An-Eng
17th Aug 2008, 20:17
Mister-T
Cheers for the advice, I'll certainly keep the OTT route open if I have no luck with attempt #1!
Was looking through the brochure which was sent out along with the pension details: Your Pension Scheme Explained (MMP/124) and it contains the paragraph 'Opportunities to rejoin at a later date if you opt out'. (Page 7 if you have one). It clearly states that you can have one go at joining at a later date!
I may be a bit cynical but am not convinced that they can make statements like this in their own brochures, the ones which were used when making your choices, without opening themselves up to some legal arguement if they decline.
Will pass on their reply to my request when I get one.
Ta
R-A-E