PDA

View Full Version : Core Electives

Ais90
25th Jun 2008, 23:40
In advance sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Anyways I'm going to college for aviation starting next year and I have to choose between:
1.Instructor Rating
2.Float Rating
3.Iatra

Since I'm new to this whole thing anyone have any suggestions of which one would be the bestt to take?

Thanks.

airfoilmod
26th Jun 2008, 00:38
Ais90, why limit yourself? All I can offer is what would appeal most to me.

Float, (Float Instructor) A Sea rating in Canada? What a joy!!

Airfoil

+TSRA
26th Jun 2008, 01:26
IATRA is just an exam that you can EASILY study for outside of school for the cost of the books only.... exnay on that one.

Float Rating - If you plan to go anywhere in Canada you will almost certainly come across a time where it will do you well. Indeed you limit yourself by close to 70% of the available jobs to a newbe without a float rating.

Instructor Rating - I never used mine, but it is worth doing just for the information about flying. I learned more about flying in that 30 hours then I ever did reading the books. It is also the easiest way into a flying job. It is also the lowest paying of all the jobs.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go floats and work the ramp for a year rather than doing the instructors rating, pissing about for three years because I could not afford to be an instructor and then working the ramp for a year... :)

good luck and have fun!