PDA

View Full Version : One week to play with, what to do?

SPINATO
25th Jun 2008, 16:25
Hi everyone,

I've just managed to book a week off work for late August. My Plan is to do some flying orientated things, however since I can't make up my mind I thought I would open it up to the floor and ask for some suggestions. License wise I have a PPL and about 150 hours. Open to any ideas really, so long as its not mega expensive or completely daft!

Cheers
Spin

1800ed
25th Jun 2008, 16:59
Are you flying anything considered complex yet? Might be good to learn how to fly something with a constant speed prop and retractable gear if you aren't already?

micromalc
25th Jun 2008, 17:09
Go down to Headcorn, Kent and join the Tiger Club and have a go in their Tiger Moth...that should keep you occupied for a while and if that doesn't do it for you, try their Cap10c and do some aeros. Have fun !

Say again s l o w l y
25th Jun 2008, 17:14
Hire an aircraft and go off on a tour of the UK. You'll have a great time and get good experience at the same time.

PPRuNe Towers
25th Jun 2008, 17:24
Gliding course - highly recommended. Pick a nice location.

Rob

ab33t
25th Jun 2008, 17:43
PM me I can get you a cheap rate for a rental of a plane for a week and then go and have a jolly flying about

XX621
25th Jun 2008, 18:00
Seaplane / Tailwheel conversion?

Tailwheel sharpens up your near ground abilities and is soooo much fun.:ok:

airborne_artist
25th Jun 2008, 19:24
Get taught some aeros, perhaps? A great challenge, and adds confidence.

GyroSteve
25th Jun 2008, 19:26
Book some time with a gyro instructor and have some FUN!

SPINATO
25th Jun 2008, 19:38
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I should probably have supplied a bit more info. I've flown complex and done a bit of aeros from basic mil flying training, have seriously considered the uk tour as I have access to an aeroplane cheap, however cant decide how I'd go about it and what to see! I fancy a Pitts thought I must say!

Cheers
Spin

cessnarepairman
25th Jun 2008, 19:39
Floatplane course in Scotland, Ive done a lot of different flying but that was the best bar none!

BackPacker
25th Jun 2008, 22:03
I vote for a gliding course too. I've just done one a week ago (5 days; 15 flights, all winch launched, longest was 1h14' and 1500 meters high). Great experience, learned a lot about flying from that.

Windy Militant
26th Jun 2008, 12:10
I've just managed to book a week off work for late August. My Plan is to do some flying orientated things,

Hope your luck is better than mine, the last few years I've tried that and spent a week drinking endless cups of tea while looking at the rain. :(

vanHorck
27th Jun 2008, 07:50
Get a second pilot and take the international plunge...

UK-> Belgium (Oostende) -> Netherlands (Midden Zeeland/Rotterdam/Texel) -> Germany (Dahlemer Binz?) -> Luxemburg International -> Northern France -> back to the UK

As an alternative do the Tour de France

Julian
27th Jun 2008, 08:48
Do the aeros course, think its only about 10hrs. As well as being bloody good fun it will get you used to unusual attitudes and how to get out of them - could be invaluable!

J.

Squeegee Longtail
27th Jun 2008, 20:14
Get yourself down to Thunder City in Cape Town and strap on a Lightning
www.thundercity.com (http://www.thundercity.com)

It ain't cheap, but what the hell

On the Spot
27th Jun 2008, 20:49
I'd second xx621 above

Doing some tailwheel time is a really good way to improve your skills. From experience my landings improved considerably after only a couple of hours tailwheel where I actually had to fly the aircraft onto the runway and after touchdown (not that I am saying anything about your landings of course).

For fun - seaplane rating - most fun flying yet.