PDA

View Full Version : flying instructors- how much do you earn?

liam548
25th Jun 2008, 14:41
I know its how longs a piece of string type question but your average CPL holder who instructs people at a local level on their PPLs NPPLs etc

What kind of income can they expect while they too are building them all important hours...?

Liam

daria-ox
25th Jun 2008, 16:10
I Guess, it's just under Ł25k per year, depends on experience. I don't know if this is right or not, I can't guarantee, but I heard it's something like that. :ok:

EK4457
25th Jun 2008, 16:31
Oooh, no. Try around the £15k mark. Plus or minus a few k.

EK

Mikehotel152
25th Jun 2008, 16:54
Yeah, around £15K if the weather's ok. More if you work for one of the large FTOs I imagine.

SparksFlyHigh
26th Jun 2008, 12:41
£300 per month + £10-15 per flying hour.

OneIn60rule
26th Jun 2008, 16:47
You can teach IR then it's definately BELOW 20k in the UK.
OR if you can teach CPL as well then yes above the 20k.

Between 10k-17k.

Some places do a salary, others a retainer etc.

1/60

nmcpilot
26th Jun 2008, 20:40
I believe the instructors at OAA are on about 35k - 40k used to say on their website, doesn't anymore though. Big shortage of instructors atm apparently

Sam-MAN
26th Jun 2008, 20:49
Hello all.

Did some research but failed to find anything.

If I went modular trained up to fATPL etc with 250hours, got an FI rating, would I be able to instruct IR/CPL (which pays better than PPL etc) or would I need more hours and experience?

Thanks

Sam

BigGrecian
26th Jun 2008, 21:45
Long answer yes eventually.

Short answer no.

All in LASORS under flight instructors:
FI Licence is initially restricted and the restriction may be removed by :
Restricted Period: Until the holder of a FI(A) rating has completed at least 100 hours flight instruction and, in addition, has supervised at least 25 student solo flights, the privileges of the rating are restricted.

CPL
conduct flight instruction for the issue of a CPL(A), provided that the FI(A) has completed at least 500 hours of flight time as pilot of aeroplanes including at least 200 hours of flight instruction;

IR - most IR training done in Multi so you would need to be a multi instructor as well both of which are extra courses with extra requirements before starting said course.

Multi:
Completed at least 500 hours flight time as pilot of aeroplanes.
c. Completed at least 30 hours as PIC on the applicable type or class of aeroplane prior to commencing the course. It should be noted that ME SPIC time is not allowable towards this 30 hours requirement

IR:
Have completed at least 800 hours of flight time under IFR of which at least 400 shall be in aeroplanes. Where pilots have recorded flight by sole reference to instruments and not under IFR, then 1 hour sole reference to instruments may be counted as 4 hours flight by IFR.

99jolegg
26th Jun 2008, 21:51
Sam-MAN,

No. Instructing has various levels.

To teach PPLs, NPPLs and Night Ratings, you need:

- 200hrs flight time
- 100hrs of which is PIC
- Minimum of 10hrs instrument experience
- 300nm solo cross country with two land aways.

This is the standard Flight Instructor Course (FIC).

If you then want to add Multi-engine privileges to that, you'll need:

- 500hrs flight time
- 30hrs PIC on type

If you then want to add IRI (Instrument Rating Instructor) privileges. you'll need:

- 200hrs under IFR

All of this is on top of the basics.

For the CPL, I think it's a case of more PIC hours on a complex aircraft, maybe 500hrs.

EDIT: Is it really 800hrs for the IRI? I haven't checked LASORS - this info is similar as from an FTO.

Sam-MAN
26th Jun 2008, 22:15
Many thanks guys :ok:

Sam

portsharbourflyer
28th Jun 2008, 18:01
Just to clarify, yes an IRI would need 800 hours IFR, however that is for a stand alone IRI rating for someone that does not hold a current FI rating.

For a FI holder to teach IMC and IR it is the removal of the no applied instrument restriction from the FI rating that is required in which case 200 hours IFR is required (or 50 hours recorded as flight as sole reference to instruments under the four to one ruling would also meet the requirement).

To teach single engine CPL only a minimum 200 hours of FI experience is required.