PDA

View Full Version : Two more members of the Parachute Regiment die in Afghanistan

TommyGun
25th Jun 2008, 13:58
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | Soldier from 4th Battalion The Parachute Regiment killed in Afghanistan on 24 June (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/SoldierFrom4thBattalionTheParachuteRegimentKilledInAfghanist anOn24June.htm)

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | British soldier from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment killed in Afghanistan (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/BritishSoldierFrom2ndBattalionTheParachuteRegimentKilledInAf ghanistan.htm)

A soldier from 2 PARA and a soldier from 4 PARA died yesterday in two separate incidents.

Thoughts to families and the regiment. RIP.

airborne_artist
25th Jun 2008, 14:04
It's tough for the Airborne community right now - but when the going gets tough etc.

CirrusF
25th Jun 2008, 16:24
4 Para (former 10 Para) is the TA Batallion too. So that is another TA soldier down. My full respect to all the guys out there, whatever job they are doing - but especially to reserves who don't always get the recognition from regulars that their commitment and courage deserves.

soddim
25th Jun 2008, 16:57
Whilst the life of a Taliban terrorist is not worth a single British sacrifice I would nevertheless like to see an assessment of the number of Taliban killed in these engagements - just to balance the sad news of our losses a little.

Saintsman
25th Jun 2008, 20:59
I'm sure the number of Taliban killed far exceed the number of our loses but I doubt that will make it any easier for those who've lost loved ones.

It would be much better if no one was killed, but unfortunately I can't see that happening for some time.

RIP

CirrusF
25th Jun 2008, 21:20
Whilst the life of a Taliban terrorist is not worth a single British sacrifice I would nevertheless like to see an assessment of the number of Taliban killed in these engagements - just to balance the sad news of our losses a little.

Every human life is equal - whether Taliban or British. It is the beliefs we die for that differ.

soddim
25th Jun 2008, 22:06
That's a noble thought, cirrusfrance, but, although I am a practising Christian, I cannot bring myself to believe that I would ever equate a British soldier's life with a Taliban terrorist's life.

I agree that the number of Taliban killed would not make it any easier for the families of our casualties but if all we are fed is the number of our casualties, the picture of what is happening is not only incomplete, it is distorted.

CirrusF
25th Jun 2008, 22:13
Thank you, Soddim, for your thougtful reply. But it is primordial to the advancement of humanity that we should respect the lives of our enemy, even though he may seek to destroy our own way of life.

btw- I am not even Christian - though I respect those who are.

blue monday
26th Jun 2008, 09:18
Whilst the life of a Taliban terrorist is not worth a single British sacrifice I would nevertheless like to see an assessment of the number of Taliban killed in these engagements - just to balance the sad news of our losses a little.Some people do not knbow their history - one word Vietnam - the war was fought with an obsession for number of enemy combatents killed, kill ratios etc, the war then became target focused and instead of holding land the war became battles won, body count taken and then land left, the enemy then moved back in but the top brass and congress were pleased with the kill ratios that were so good they must be winning!!!!!!

blue monday
26th Jun 2008, 10:37
Whilst the life of a Taliban terrorist is not worth a single British sacrifice I would nevertheless like to see an assessment of the number of Taliban killed in these engagements - just to balance the sad news of our losses a little.Some people do not knbow their history - one word Vietnam - the war was fought with an obsession for number of enemy combatents killed, kill ratios etc, the war then became target focused and instead of holding land the war became battles won, body count taken and then land left, the enemy then moved back in but the top brass and congress were pleased with the kill ratios that were so good they must be winning!!!!!!

soddim
26th Jun 2008, 14:51
What makes you think, blue monday, that I have no knowledge of history?

I find your comment insulting.

airborne_artist
26th Jun 2008, 15:40
Gents - could you take your discussion over to JB - this thread has degenerated somewhat. There are two more families who have lost sons/brothers/husband etc. out there.

soddim
26th Jun 2008, 15:51
Sadly, it's a lot more than two.

Hempy
26th Jun 2008, 16:00
Every human life is equal - whether Taliban or British. It is the beliefs we die for that differ.

Best post, ever.

Surrey Towers
26th Jun 2008, 16:06
There will be much sadness in Greater London South today.

RIP guys.