PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating - Running out of time!

egbgstudent
25th Jun 2008, 12:59
I am about to start my CPL course, yet still have to get my night rating sorted out (I know, I should have got this done a long time ago).

With the long daylight hours, and not much of the dark stuff around, I am having problems finding anywhere open at that late an hour that can accomodate me.

Does anyone know of a school (or even just an instructor) that can fot me in at short notice (hopefully in the west midlands area)???

S-Works
25th Jun 2008, 13:17
An interesting question 4 days after the longest day of the year........

There are 2 hopes and one of them is Bob.

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2008, 13:35
I'm in the same boat!!

You need to find a 24 hour airfield (Southend, Bournemouth, Blackpool were a few I looked at) - not sure about Coventry? However, if this isn't your local field, you will be wasting time and money by flying to the 24 hour field if you are using your existing school. However, you may find another school just to do the night rating. Try google for schools.

The other option (which is my course of action due to the nature of night flying in helicopters) is to get your existing to obtain a dispensation from the CAA i.e. you do the training and CPL skills test and undertake the night hours at a later date.

This is not an uncommon scenario (especially in the rotary world); what does your instructor suggest?

Cheers

Whirls

VGOIII
25th Jun 2008, 13:45
I can do that for you at Coventry. The airfield generally stays open all night, and they allow the locally based flight school aircraft in the circuit until midnight throughout most of the week.

Im quite happy flying around at that time, so if you would like to Private Message me your details I can get you out of that predicament.

egbgstudent
25th Jun 2008, 14:02
Thanks VGOII I will pm you my details, hopefully we can get this sorted out. Are you available at short notice? (within a week or 2)

VGOIII
25th Jun 2008, 14:08
Certianly, Mondays to Thursdays are the best nights for me. It's a 5 hour course, and I can usually get them done in 3 nights.

wet wet wet
25th Jun 2008, 22:22
As has been said it's not easy to find a combination of a 24 hour field that will accept night circuits and a training organisation willing to burn the midnight oil. However, the Coventry Aeroplane Club is building up a bit of a speciality for summer-time night ratings, we recently had a CPL student come over from Guernsey to do it!

Cusco
25th Jun 2008, 23:00
Yep! I was standing by to finish the Night Qual at Coventry but managed to polish it off at Cambridge two days before the clocks went forward in March this year.

Cusco;);)

tegwin
26th Jun 2008, 12:04
Sorry to hijack the thread, but thats a new one on me...

I didnt realise you had to have a night rating before doing CPL!....I had assumed it was part of the CPL:eek:

OneIn60rule
26th Jun 2008, 12:35
You need a night rating for your CPL.

Sometimes people get through a PPL with a night rating included but that is VERY rare these days.

So no, a CPL will not go into night flying but does require you to have a night rating.

1/60

Whirlygig
26th Jun 2008, 16:45
Tegwin, you're a helicopter like wot I is!! Unless you can do your PPL in less than 55 hours (unlikely but possible), then the NQ does become part of the CPL course since an NQ(H) can only be done 100 hours post-PPL; it's 25 hours I believe for fixed wing.

However, one can do an NQ 100 hours post-PPL and never go commercial. The helicopter NQ as part of a commercial course is totally worthless.

Cheers

Whirls

liam548
26th Jun 2008, 20:49
can someone clarify, is there only one type of Night rating?

(i.e I know they are not the same but there is an IMC course as well as an IR course, and do you have to do a seperate night rating for each aircarft you get certified on?)

I want to do my night rating after my PPL is obtained, it is relatively inexpensive and would be a great add on to my licence.

Cusco
26th Jun 2008, 21:06
To be pedantic: The night rating no longer exists: Its now known as a night qualification (NQ) and is subtly different.

Cusco;)

XL319
26th Jun 2008, 22:11
It isnt a rating as their is no skills test/exam, but a qualification.

I did my night "qualification" in my PPL and saved a lot of time. UK FTO's tend to do them seperately, but it saved me money, headache and time.

Recommend doing it as part of your PPL if your able to do so.:ok: