PDA

View Full Version : Visa waivers for Aircrew

Sam Rutherford
25th Jun 2008, 08:09
Hi,

I'm putting the planning together for a trans-Africa trip, and would like to know how we might avoid the complex (and expensive) visa route. I have heard that (even with little aeroplanes) there is a way to go through as aircrew and so not need the visas in advance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Sam.

Daifly
25th Jun 2008, 10:04
Are you talking about a light aircraft or a bizjet?

flyingfemme
25th Jun 2008, 11:53
It varies from country to country - some only recognise "aircrew" as people who fly scheduled for airlines and others are ok with a C172 passing through.

Talk to your clearance organiser.

Sam Rutherford
25th Jun 2008, 12:28
Maule MX7, so a 4 place SEP.

Hm, my Clearance man suggested I talk to my Visa person (er, that'll be me then!).

Sam.

IO540
25th Jun 2008, 13:13
I have no knowledge of this but I believe that overflight agents such as www.overflight.co.uk (http://www.overflight.co.uk) offer a crew visa service too.

I think you will find that most of the people who did long trips across the 3rd world did in fact use a firm like this - for more or less everything.

Otherwise, you have to sort out the visas through the various embassies, which is likely to take months.

172driver
25th Jun 2008, 13:41
From personal experience working and travelling extensively in Africa, I would suggest the visa route. Trying to explain an exception to standard procedures (i.e. 'we are aircrew, so don't need a visa' while climbing out of a Maule) to any immigration official is a daunting task. In Africa it definitely isn't for the faint at heart (or wallet) :eek:

Been there, done that.... Suggest you get one of the visa services to sort you out.

On a different note. What you will find, is that some countries waive the pax levy, if the occupants of a light a/c hold licenses. Morocco is one of these. However, they sometimes do want to actually see the license ;) Won't save you a lot, but hey, every little helps :ok:

IO540
25th Jun 2008, 15:58
some countries waive the pax levy, if the occupants of a light a/c hold licenses.

Greece does this.

And yes I have tried to put my girl as "crew" whereupon they asked to see her license :yuk:

stiknruda
26th Jun 2008, 08:37
My experience is about 15 years old now but I did fly myself extensively through sub-Saharan Africa on business and pleasure when I lived there.

I do not recall any visa issues in Kenya, Tanzania, Zim, Zam, Malawi, RSA, Botswana, Swazi, Lesotho or Namib. I did need visas for Angola and Mozambique, the latter one could buy on arrival. Angola was a different matter and I really would not recommend it. Hopefully it has changed a lot but the decaying corpses in the high street in Huambo kind of put me off!

Do be careful with overflight and landing clearances too. The Windhoek controller did not want me to enter his airspace as I required written permission from their DCA (CAA) for a foreign registered a/c to visit.

Unfortunately, bribery, flattery and "ignorance ofthe rules" can often get you out of tight spots.

My Tanzania experience nearly did not happen but a $ 50 USD "gift" ensured my Karibu (welcome) after a 4 hour discussion. I had two UK passports at the time and although rather good at using the right passport for the right country, the wiley immigration officer realised that I had exitted Kenya but had not entered it on the passport I proferred. In those days RSA, Isreal and a few other states were PNG in certain African countries but I am sure that has all changed now.

Have fun. Do not expect Avgas to be available because the flt guide says it is - check every destination first by phone or telex and then have them agree to reserve your uplift for you. Failing that an inducement might encourtage them to open strategic stock that is held for national government use.

Fuel carnets and cash are generally always acceptable, credit cards are commonly NOT acceptable.

Stik

172driver
27th Jun 2008, 07:11
Hopefully it has changed a lot but the decaying corpses in the high street in Huambo kind of put me off!

Stik, sounds like we were in Huambo around the same time.....