PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Brazil?

DA7X
24th Jun 2008, 22:17
Just read a online newspaper here in São Paulo that Richard Branson is ready to start a new airline here in Brazil. It will start as a domestic carrier, but plans are to eventually expand to international routes. This information came from an interview given by him, at the Global Humanitarian Forum in Geneva.
Just wondering, has anbody in the english speaking world heard of this? :confused:

Channex101
24th Jun 2008, 22:27
Yeah heard this a while ago, it was talked about at the same time as Virgin America

PAXboy
24th Jun 2008, 23:00
First thought - no one is going to be starting an airline in the immediate future! They might be planning for one in a couple of years time.

DA7X
24th Jun 2008, 23:25
PaxBoy
This one http://www.voeazul.com.br/ begins its flights january 09. The economy here is growing at 5% a year and the country is self sufficient in energy, oil etc.. Who knows might not be a bad place to invest!

barry lloyd
25th Jun 2008, 07:48
This information came from an interview given by him, at the Global Humanitarian Forum in Geneva.

If true, it seems a strange platform on which to announce it. Richard Branson is of course the master of a PR campaign, and it seems totally out of character for him to slip out a piece of information at such a venue and in such a way.
TAM and GOL have got most of the domestic traffic stitched up anyway, haven't they? As PAXboy points out, it's hardly the best time for a start-up.

uklad007
25th Jun 2008, 08:51
With what was Varig having very little (if any?) Intl routes would it not be good for Virgin to start a long haul Brazillian airline (similar to Atlantic) if the domestic market is swamped? I agree though its not the best time to start a new airline but i suppose if they get in now and establish while any other party is put off then it could be an advantage if they play the long term game.

DA7X
25th Jun 2008, 10:50
Here we go!

Branson seen launching Brazil airline* (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlebusiness.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2008-06-25T024001Z_01_N24368071_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRAZIL-VIRGIN.xml)

Torquelink
25th Jun 2008, 15:59
On board massage, brazilian waxes . . .

:cool:

barry lloyd
25th Jun 2008, 17:56
Here we go!

Branson seen launching Brazil airline*

Fair enough, but don't hold your breath. I suspect that is why it was revealed in the margins of an unrelated forum. Clearly there's a long way to go yet, and he's certainly in for some tough competition!

PAXboy
26th Jun 2008, 00:11
Sorry no time to follow the link DA7X. Before any public announcement, there will have been a year of research and then much hard political and accounting work (another year) then negotiation of contracts for airframes, slots and all the staff needed for start up (another year?)

If your economy is doing well, then it sounds like a good time and Branson knows how to find the right people to start companies and airlines. I hope folks are successful at bringing a new company into being.

DA7X
26th Jun 2008, 00:57
PAXBoy,

You really don't need 3 years to get an airline flying here, an example is Jet Blue of Brazil, they anounced the airline in March 08' and promised to begin service Jan 09'. IMHO I'm pretty sure RB and his team have done the research already, otherwise he would have remained tight lipped. Slots and equipment (acfts) aren't much of an obstacle at the present moment, big slowdown in some big markets. Oh well, only time will tell!