PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Bham Police Heli on Sat?

120torque
24th Jun 2008, 19:29
I've just been told that the Bham police heli had to make an emergency landing back at BHX due to smoke in cockpit from faulty GPS. Any more info around - haven't seen anything on prune ???

HeliCraig
24th Jun 2008, 22:07
If he's about, perhaps SiloeSid can give us some info??

EESDL
25th Jun 2008, 11:02
What.......smoking in the cockpit.......always wondered why manufacturer keeps on putting those ashtray holders in the cockpit?:ok:

whoateallthepies
25th Jun 2008, 17:05
Had a similar incident in Sussex BO 105 back in the 90's. Power cable to the stabilised binoculars started burning/smoking and the cockpit filled with smoke very quickly. Luckily we were conducting a search just along the cliff tops and I chucked it down smartish on top of the cliff and shut down.

The Sgt observer and paramedic both climbed out coughing profusely from the acrid smoke. Then both proceeded to light up a fag and cough even more!

Well done to the Birmingham crew, it's not a pleasant experience and can escalate quickly. http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

HeliCraig
26th Jun 2008, 08:51
Hi Sid,

That explains why I've not seen you up and about much this week (I work over the road from BHX at a small car manufacturer!).

Any news on how long it will be AOG? Presumably EMASU will be helping cover your patch when they can? (Appreciate you may not be able to comment on this, due to operational reasons - promise I'm not a crim!)

Out of interest, how did the a/c get to EC (I presume at Oxford)? Was it flown down with the SkyForce turned off, c/b pulled?

Rgds,

HC.