PDA

View Full Version : SilkAir Vs Tiger Airways

A Three Twenty
24th Jun 2008, 17:58
Does anyone have info about the Pros and Cons of SilkAir Vs Tiger Airways for F.O.'s based in Singapore??? (Pay/Benefits/Travel/Etc...)

Where would you go if you had the choice??

Thanks

ltjng
24th Jun 2008, 19:15
.....Needless to say, Silkair all the way.....

Slowflight2008
25th Jun 2008, 02:04
Any one knows if silkair hire captain off the street :8

Dani
25th Jun 2008, 08:59
.....Needless to say, Silkair all the way.....

It depends...

From the material side SLK is better, only the benefits, not the salary. If you are single and think you don't need LOL, children, aso, you earn more in TGW.

From the career point of view there are also slight different implications: If you have lots of hours and ready for upgrading, TGW is much better. If you want to join SIA maybe SLK is better, but they also don't take you the next day.

And from the human side: If you are Western and like to minimize the cultur shock: Choose TGW by all means!

Yes, SLK is hiring DECs.

Dani

ltjng
26th Jun 2008, 04:02
You are right Dani, very true indeed! I gotta bias on this anyway, coz......you know!!

By the way, you sounds like my friend Dani from Swiss.....

Happy flying!!!

varigflier
26th Jun 2008, 20:35
So does Tiger take you right away? What is the current upgrade time at Tiger?

Dani
26th Jun 2008, 20:52
Used to be 6 months. Most of the applicants where capt already, but maybe not same rating or not enough hours.

Itjng, what are you doing in Beijing???

ltjng
27th Jun 2008, 05:11
SLK told me there are no fast track or quick command here, so I prepare to spend a couple of years before upgrade. Especially I was a Boeing guy and new in Airbus.

Transfer to SQ is no guarantee and won't be happened within 5 years.

Dani, I used to fly in Beijing for a few years, now flying along side with you in Singapore .....

A Three Twenty
27th Jun 2008, 15:35
Thanks you guys for the replies....

What are the minimum hours for upgrade at Tiger ???

Is Tiger planning to Hire F.O. this year???

Does SQ hire DEC from Tiger ???

Thanks again,

Dani
27th Jun 2008, 22:24
Minimum for CAAS is something like 3500 hrs and 500 on type, but that's the bare minimum. It happened that Tiger upgraded with minimum hours but most applicants have much more.

Tiger hires all the time, but they give priority to type rated.

Tiger to SIA: There was also this 5 years, like in SLK, but there has been nobody who changed, TGW is only 4 years old. They also say that you cannot change over like that, you first have to quit Tiger, I think they talked about a hiring ban. It's all rather theoretical since nobody ever changed over. I guess if SIA or SIA cargo needs pilots they take them from where they can get, if they match.

Dani

dream747
28th Jun 2008, 07:08
Does TGW or SKL ever consider fresh ATPL holders who are locals?

Thanks!:)

AiRBuS_380
28th Jun 2008, 08:49
hi there,

As for Tiger, fresh fATPL holders might get a shot in joining this LCC. there will be a programme for A320 type rating (Self-sponsored). this can be open to all international candidates.

As for SilkAir, direct entry FO is nearly impossible as SIA group of companies has their own ab intio cadet programme in which supply of fresh pilots will be taken from the cohort. DEC is the only way for silkair thus with the required criterias set by the company.

Being local will not give you a chance at DEFO for silkair. You may reapply for the SIA Cadetship if your a local. But with a CASA fATPL, chances of direct entry is near zero as CAAS do not recongnise CASA licensings for fresh pilot at the monment. Therfore if you get into the cadet programme it is most likely you will go through the whole training pharse again. But it is more likely that you may get the chance to enter the main fleet or cargo. Although preference are seeked whether one would like to fly for which subsidary, most of the time, the placement issues are done prior and will be told in the final stages.... you will never know what fleet you will go to.....

cheers,
Great Way to Fly

ltjng
28th Jun 2008, 12:34
Not sure about Tiger, but I joined SLK as DEFO. So there are always exception if you are what they are looking for.

But package is unified as one, no more expat/local differentiation.

I do hold CASA licence, but I used my HKCAD ATPL for conversion. So Air Law is the only subject I need to take. But be prepare if going thru the whole CAAS ATPL is necessary, it will be a long and pain process.

dream747
28th Jun 2008, 15:29
Thanks for the replies guys.

ltjing, if you have any idea, how similar are the standards of CAAS compared to the JAA or HKCAD ATPL?

Thanks!

A Three Twenty
28th Jun 2008, 16:22
Is it possible to get hired into Tiger or Silk with ICAO CPL with A320 type???

Do you have to do the conversion of your ICAO into CAAS before applying or is it part of the training program???

Thanks

STS CLR
29th Jun 2008, 02:47
To convert to the CAAS licence you must have at least an ICAO CPL with ATPL theory passed.

Tiger will look at anybody with the type rating endorsed on the licence, but now you must have completed the Base training - not usually the case with fresh FAA endorsements if that is what you have.

Good luck

ltjng
29th Jun 2008, 05:37
Dream747, JAA/CAA/HKCAD are very similar to CASA standards, just a small step up. Be prepared to work extra hard on them.

Good Luck!!!

Dani
29th Jun 2008, 10:00
You not only need a base training on A320, you also need a base training on a A320 which is 9V (Singapore) registred.

If you don't have that, you wont get a CAAS license. Pretty easy: You have to do the base training with Tiger (or SLK or Jetstar). If you don't have that, you might have to pay for it in Tiger.

Dani

STS CLR
29th Jun 2008, 10:34
CAAS circular on licence conversion -see CAAS website. As long as you have 1 hour on the A320 within last 12 months and 2 proficiency checks more than 4months apart- base training may be exempted. So not necessary to have it done in Tiger as long as it is a valid endorsement on your current licence. Anyway-check out the Circular AC01(1) I think.

Tiger will take you on for a type-rating, as base training is covered by the bond.

Dani
29th Jun 2008, 11:57
correct.

(The forum software says this message is too short but there isn't more to say.)

dream747
29th Jun 2008, 15:01
Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it!:ok:

FlyBoySerge
30th Jun 2008, 06:47
does anyone know where I could buy the touch n goes in the A320?
I have my rating on the FAA license, but need the base check to be considered for air asia. Anyone?

Chipmunkpac
1st Jul 2008, 10:55
Dani’s information is correct the only additional qualification you would require to join SLK is that you will have to learn how to suck up to CAPT. MIG “TOAD”, laugh when he tells a silly joke and get his wifey as your housing agent.
Good luck.

ltjng
1st Jul 2008, 11:53
I need an agent for my housing anyway.....:ok:

pt19
1st Jul 2008, 15:09
Anybody Knows if Silkair is hiring Captains??How long the procces takes??What kind of contact they use to do??

Thanks all

ltjng
2nd Jul 2008, 07:19
Checkout their website.....I reckon they do take DECs.

kefz
3rd Jul 2008, 06:33
silk air hires candidates who got terminated cheating in SEP exams tho..

pt19
6th Jul 2008, 11:58
thank you for the reply:ok:

variablepitch
16th Jul 2008, 20:10
Regarding Tiger FO recruitmet....

Does anyone know if CASA/Tiger will accept pilots A330 rated for CCQ to 320 and what the procedure/bond is - JAA licence.

What is the current upgrade period for FO - joining with approx 3000hours - all jet? Are they still receiving many aircraft?

thanks

Geebz
19th Jul 2008, 18:01
Present B737NG Capt with over 8800 hrs ttl. Do I stand a chance at a DEC job with Tiger? No previous exp on Airbus though.