PDA

View Full Version : MFA

hjmemon
24th Jun 2008, 06:28
Hi,
I have got a job offer from MFA (Malaysia) as Flight Instrcutor.
Have got few questions,
1. What is asked in interveiw if any.
2. If offered, I will have to find my own accomodation in Malacca. Is it easy to find housing and what is the approx rent?
3. I believe they have some 17 single and 4 multi. What is the expected time to get onto multi engines?
4. Food and living style. Are there any Fast food (eg. McD's, KFC, Pizza hut type) and Indo-Pak food outlets.
5. Is it easy to find a car. Wont mind a good running condition used car.

Thanks in advance,

MAS Guy
24th Jun 2008, 13:08
Melaka is a modern town, so you can find all the fast food that you can eat. Cars in Malaysia is expensive due the G tax 300% on foreign cars. MFA itself is a lousy school, from what I heard, worst in Malaysia. The turn over of instructor is high, well good luck!:ok:

watchyourairspeed
24th Jun 2008, 14:44
Hi hjmemon,

To ansewer your questions by order:

1. In my time (w the other Principal, the Interview was straight forward). No probs. Just a brief intro to MFA guidelines. Have a look-see and shop around, but be wary of signing any document.:suspect:
2. Housing is straight forward as well. In the vicinity of Batu Berandam, there are plenty of options (2 storys house rental for RM500/month most of the times unfurnished). If you want something fencier (just like a few other FI's) than you can allways choose near the coast line condos (approx. RM1200/month).
3.Depends on your flight time instruction/experience. I'm not sure of the situation nowadays in terms of number of FI'S, but I guess you would be flying your Arss off on SE and after 9-12 months be jumping into the twin.
4. Yes there are hyp's of Mac's, KFC's and Pizzahut junk food joints around. As well of supermarkets and a public market (close to MelakaCentral) to do the shoping around week. Plenty of diversity in terms of food (chinease, indian, malay or westerner type of food) Malay food is cheap and very affordable, be carefull w too much oil and sugar added for cooking. You might want to keep your Class1 valid :}.
5. Depending on whereabouts you are living, most certainly you'll need your own transportation. Depending on your budget and on what you looking, is easy to find good deals for second-hand car's.

Melaka is a quiet place. Sometimes maybe too quiet. But you can allways go to KL on the weekends for partying and browsing around.

As you can imagine, local aviation market is booming (only for the nationals) and you pay a visit to other schools up in the North (langkawi and kota bahru) to know if they can give you a better deal (flight time/salary).

Good luck w your decision and safe flying.

WYA

windbreak
24th Jun 2008, 16:04
Check out the other schools in Malaysia you will find you will be better off by apporox RM5000 p/m for the same flying. :ok:

hjmemon
25th Jun 2008, 05:24
Thanks alot guys, Really appreciate the suggestion and advices.
As suggested, have contacted the other schools too. Waiting on replies.

Anyone with more things to add, do post it please.

Sonic69
26th Jun 2008, 03:07
What total times did you have and ratings when you applied to them? Are you working in Malaysia now?

thornycactus
26th Jun 2008, 08:14
As suggested, have contacted the other schools too. Waiting on replies.These schools are real f***ing slow! :mad:
Anyone with more things to add, do post it please.I have lots of things to say about MFA. They will make you PAY for the initial cost of assessing. If they are satisfy you, then they will consider you.

There are lots of pprune members work for the Malaysia flying schools. They purposely pushed the discussion threads right till the end. Also, don't be lazy. Do a search using the search engine to find out more about the schools in Malaysia!

Note: Let me be frank and give you a warning, if your intention is to become a F.I. for a few years and then look for an airline job in Malaysia, please DO NOT fat hope. Do NOT daydream this day will come! It will never happen!

hjmemon
26th Jun 2008, 08:56
@sonic, Check your PM

@thornycactus,
besides the payment for the assesment, what other things you have. You can PM me if you want to.

Also as far as being FI, its just for the time till i get into airlines.

Oz_TB10
27th Jun 2008, 05:07
hjmenon,

Dont worry about ol' thorny there, just put in the application and as with all aviation related companies they never come back to you asap.

The only thing true is how slow the process works here. Try the other flying schools as the basic pay varies between RM 6,700 to RM 9,000 for some schools. Expect within the region of RM 50 to RM 75 per hour of actual flying, same goes for ground instruction.

Good luck and please do share the outcome with us.

Thorny,

I suggest you go brush up your english!...because right now...your england very the powderful!

thornycactus
27th Jun 2008, 05:57
I suggest you go brush up your english!...because right now...your england very the powderful!
Thank you for YoUr CoNCeRn! I DO NOT CARE about English in forum.:mad:

iT sHoWs tHat yOu cAn StUpiDlY uNdErStaNd AnD fElL iNtO tHe tRaP fOrCiNg tO aNsWeR iS gOoD EnOuGh. :}

CHUTIA...:ouch:

Oz_TB10
27th Jun 2008, 06:12
Dear :mad: Thorny,

I suppose swearing is an acceptable answer? RE: Chutia:D:D

Well i guess there will be smarta$$ in any industry so gues what...the Award for being the Bigot of the year and also killjoy of the year goes to....Thorny:D:D :ugh:

Good Day and please do crawl back into the hole you came from!:}

hjmemon
8th Nov 2008, 08:02
Hello,
Finally things are confirmed after some problem with my work permit issue and I am due to travel in two weeks or so.
So here comes few more questions,
1. Any suggestions about housing. They are giving me only for two weeks. Location/Expensive and how much furnished?
2. How much a reasonable used car would cost? What are monthly rough fuel expenses?
3. Am required to appear for the Human Perf Limitation and Air Law papers probably within two weeks. How difficult are they and how often they are conducted.
4. Also requred to go for a flight check. How difficult is that. What all maneuvers one has to perform. Do DGCA people conduct them?
5. Hows the weather like these days? Would I be needing warm clothes?

Thanks in advance, and there might be few more questions that might popup. Shall appreciate if any current FI at MFA can PM....
HJM

hitmanishere
8th Nov 2008, 08:53
1.Any suggestions about housing

You can basically get cheap acomodation ranging from Rm350-Rm1000 in very close proximity to MFA..It depends on the type of accomodation you are looking for.....

2. How much a reasonable used car would cost? What are monthly rough fuel expenses?

You can get a used car(I should probably say a piece of metal junk:} that moves)from RM1000 onwards.....

3. Am required to appear for the Human Perf Limitation and Air Law papers probably within two weeks.

Dont worry about this mate...Pretty simple..Basically MFA will give you a set of questions which you need to memorise and attend the exam..You are guaranteed atleast 90% if you memorise them...:}

4. Also requred to go for a flight check. How difficult is that.

No worries on this since you are already an instructor...:ok:You should just be able to sail through pretty easily..

5. Hows the weather like these days? Would I be needing warm clothes?

Aaaah...The weather is going to be pretty bad till end of december..:8The ITCZ passing through etc etc...You know....

Would I be needing warm clothes?

Bring a container load full of DRY ICE...Its F:mad:ing humid and hot as malaysia is a trpical country...

Basically,You will have no problems in this country...LOTS and LOTS of beer,girls of different shapes and sizes...And dont forget you've got thailand,singapore and indonesia nearby...So you can have lots of fun..

Hey and PM me if you need more details..I could help you out...Looking forward to seeing you in the near future...:ok:

hjmemon
8th Nov 2008, 13:21
Hi Hitmanishere.Thanks for the useful info.Please check your PM also.HJM

KFTW
8th Nov 2008, 18:24
Hi HJ

What is the salary for FI ?

Best of luck
Regards,
KFTW

HenC
9th Nov 2008, 02:23
Hi hjmemon, just curious. Do you have more than 500 hours, of which 200 are instructional? This I understand is the requirement for foreign instructors according to the DCA website.

watchyourairspeed
9th Nov 2008, 03:37
KFTW,

Just a word of advice, you better shop around before signing any deal w MFA. The ghost of the old man ( Mr. K the Dinosaur) is still levitating (or should I say advising) in the company.

Besides if you want to fall in the good graces of the CI you must be white skin coloured, get into binge drinking every weekend and be a f....k wit.

Somehow the boat will join the Titanic soon. Nowadays... NO QFI's ... poor qualified maintenance ... old regime fossil type management ... :ugh:

If you sign for anything, ask them to give you also some vaseline.

WYA

hitmanishere
9th Nov 2008, 04:14
Besides if you want to fall in the good graces of the CI you must be white skin coloured, get into binge drinking every weekend and be a f....k wit

HJ,The first part is not true....:}The CI is a really nice guy if you do your job properly.. He could get ugly when you dont do your job properly...:ouch:You dont have to bother about MR.K....

Oh! and forgot to mention something, there are a couple of ground instructors over there(ex-Indian airforce), with whom you can talk cock for hours and hours...And yes they speak HINDI...:}

I have to agree with the second part to a certain extend...:suspect:

tian yu
9th Nov 2008, 06:24
Is it true you have to fly another 35 hrs and do IR all over again to convert your license?

zob
13th Nov 2008, 16:41
havent posted in ages but i just want to reply to the poor guy looking for real infos on the place.

first of all, dont listen to that dumb f..k thornycactus. that retard is just talking nonsense about something he has no clue about. Well, i cant take someone seriously when he puts all these colors in his posts anyway.

been there, done that. i left MFA over a year ago. It is certainly not the best place on earth but i had a lot of fun for the 2 years i spent there.

pay is decent, enough to have a laid back lifestyle. was renting one of the condos by the sea for RM1100. As for cars, i was driving a 30 year old car which cost me RM800, and that i sold 500 two years later. good enough to take me around town.

i never had to pay for any assessment (or maybe i didnt have to pay cause i didnt fail it :ouch:). i faxed my documents from oversea, they replied saying my visa was being processed. i showed up a month later, did that joke of DCA test and i was done with it.

I did pay for my twin rating. Had to fly 5 hours, not much to pay compared to the 700h of twin i logged the following 12 months. I as well paid for my IR, which was just a 2 hour trip down to Johore, another joke.

So my bet is; although MFA is definitely not the best place to work for as a CFI, it is certainly the best in Malaysia, mainly because it is not entirely malay-run (no offence to anyone), and there are some people who are actually devoting time and energy to make it better and more efficient.

Everyone talked about Langkawi and its nice fleet when it came out... see the chaos now, both with the management and the operation.

So take it anyway you want, but it was a great opportunity for an easy lifestyle, lots of flying, fast move to twin if u work (and pay) for it, met a lot of good friends and a lot of other cool things.

Ho sorry, i forgot to mention, i was one of the white skinned guys, who did a lot of extreme binge drinking with the current CI ;) And it was fun enough for me to go back to malaysia soon to visit my old mates left back there.

Boleh!

Formerly Academy 09X

hjmemon
14th Nov 2008, 09:40
Hi Zob,
This for the info. I didnt get the IR and Multi part. To get started on multi, do I have to pay to get trained first. I am already a MEI. Would I still be needing to undergo that paid training. Also what about IR. Do I have to do the Instrument rating there?
In the contract its mentioned, I would be undergoing 7 hrs of training to get restricted Malay license. Does that include the IR and multi part?

Sorry for looking confused here,:O
HJM

zob
17th Nov 2008, 20:22
Well, the 7h of training (which were only 5 at my time) are there to make sure u can fly straight and level and do a couple maneuvers and teach safely... but it's mainly for you to get the DCA license.. that will allow u to teach VFR single engine in the country... and it will be based on a validation of your own license... so make sure your national license and medical are still current.

then, based on demand, you will get upgraded to twin first. i had to do 5h of flying around as i wasnt an MEI. Since u already are, u might have to do less. but still, it's mandatory for u to endorse a twin rating on your DCA license.

Some people paid for it up front, some others got bonded for it.

and finally, the IR. I was CFII when i got there so all i did was a bit of backseating and a 2 hour flight down to johore with an examiner to endorse the instrument rating on my DCA instructor license...

i moved to twin after a year and got the IR 6 months later.

Hope this clears out your questions...

hjmemon
18th Nov 2008, 05:30
Thanks buddy,
It sure does clear lots of thing. I think you are right. Its 5 hrs not 7 hrs.

Hashim