PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Aptitude Test

ajl23
22nd Jun 2008, 09:17
Good morning,

I have booked my aptitude test with GAPAN for later in the year and am keen to find out any further information people can give me.

I am keen to find out what to expect, how I can prepare, the environment I am entering and what tips/advice people can offer me?

Anybody who has recently undertaken the tests who could give me their account of what to expect would be greatly received.

Thanks alot,

Andrew

Tony Hirst
22nd Jun 2008, 13:05
I completed the test in 2002 and I don't think it has changed since. The GAPAN Assessment seemed to me to primarily test your ability to cope with a Instrument Rating in a high performance aircraft. It tests your coordination, spacial awareness, mental capacity and memory.

The tests will ask you to keep a cross centred on the target with rudder pedals and joystick. The rub is the random movements become more extreme and at some point the controls are reversed on you. Others are following a stream of dots, answering questions on instruments showing different aircraft speeds and attitudes, remembering a string of digits and the final test will require you enter coordinates for grid cells as they are populated and press a special button when a particular symbol is shown. This last task will have you overloaded. Keep your cool and do as much as possible without degrading your accuracy.

I personally don't believe you can prepare much. But I would say that you must undertstand that prioritisation and anticipation are the keys to doing well in these tests. If you develop the habit of thinking ahead and are able to develop a simple effective strategy when you cannot deal with any more information then you should do OK.

The GAPAN test is voluntary and intended for you to learn if you have the right kind of brain for flying training. It probably isn't going to get you job, but it can give you confidence that you are, technically at least, the right stuff.

nickyjsmith
29th Jun 2008, 21:14
The tests have changed, they now use the current full set of RAF pilot tests. That means if you pass you do not have to do them again if you join up. There are now 7 tests, basically as the previous reply but they now have more multi tasking in some of them. No way to revise, except maybe a nintendo ds wth brain and eye training. Thats my opinon after doing them last year and playing with the ds. Good luck.

TheGorrilla
30th Jun 2008, 00:20
Slightly different to the CRM test where you are taken out by an examiner to various bars and made to get sh*%faced!

ajl23
30th Jun 2008, 10:17
Thank you for your feedback

BackPacker
30th Jun 2008, 10:42
LVNL (the Dutch NATS) is currently recruiting air traffic controllers. As part of that recruitment they've created a site which has free (java or flash-based) aptitude tests. Some of these might be applicable to train GAPAN-style tests too.

Luchtverkeersleiding Nederland - Toe aan het hoogste niveau? (http://www.luchtverkeersleider.nl)

Unfortunately the site is in Dutch but to get to the tests, click on "Test jezelf". Answer the five questions and then select three games.