PDA

View Full Version : How employable does a TR make you?

Birky
21st Jun 2008, 17:26
Does anyone have any idea how much more employable one becomes if one coughs up for an A320 type rating and 150 hrs of line training? (on top of the money you've coughed already for your CPL/IR).

Be gentle won't you?

Birky

IrishJetdriver
21st Jun 2008, 19:21
150HRS is not enough. It sounds simply like the hours needed to pass your initial line check for release to line. Any other carrier will still require you to check out in the sim on their procedures and then give you line training. 500hrs is the minimum most carriers recognise as being of any benefit.

There has been a thread on this before. I agree that this sounds highly dodgy for you as quite likely you don't get a job with EZY at the end of it. This is simply a TR course. Nothing else.

If you want to spend the money then FR will give you a job at the end of the course. No funny business. Of course you need to pass their assessment as it is for a job.

Tread carefully.

MIKECR
21st Jun 2008, 21:28
Birky,

Before you suggest 'be gentle' then I would imagine you already have a good idea of the sort of response you will get. A320 and 737 ratings without hours on type will shortly becme absolutely worthless. Airlines are beginning to go bust, flooding the local markets with guys/gals already with ratings, and hundreds, if not 1000 hours on type. Your chances of employmnt will be nil. Far better of getting a TP rating like an ATR or a Saab.

Deano777
21st Jun 2008, 22:05
Far better off not paying for a rating at all unless you have firm job offer. There's a myriad of threads identical to this one on here and I'll say the same thing again, if you can't afford for it all to go wrong then don't do it, if you have that kind of money to fritter away then fine, but I know a good few people it has gone wrong for, and it's ended in tears. You pay your money & take a chance.
As has already been said here with the current downturn upon us (and it's gonna get worse) then think long and hard, because in 12 months you could have a lapsed TR with no job offer. End of the day it's up to you, but be smart about it.

pablo2973
22nd Jun 2008, 01:14
I believe to answer your question depends ,how far you want to live from UK and what conditions you expect for your first job , I dont think BA has the same requirements than a low budget airline in Congo dont you think ?
just keep trying ,internet is your best tool .
thanks

Day_Dreamer
22nd Jun 2008, 11:27
Dont buy a rating without a job at the end of training.
Everyone here has been giving good advice.
Try Ryanair selection and see where that route leads you.
Otherwise get an instructor rating and teach for a while.

Brainstorm
22nd Jun 2008, 21:16
Lots of great advice in the replies above, take it on board.

I suggest you wait until the economy starts back up again, now is the wrong time to do anything. Nobody will hire you now even with a bit of time on type.

All the hiring for this summer has been done, and 2009 is likely to be a pretty disastrous year for aviation.

malc4d
23rd Jun 2008, 10:33
OH Sh*t........:eek:

Walk the line
23rd Jun 2008, 11:08
Its hard to be gentle :) This topic has been covered ad nauseum-of course you're more attractive to an airline with a TR-but probably not enough to justify doing it. You would be taking a huge risk..you may not secure employment. Most airlines will want you to do their TR with their company SOP's etc. But hey..we should all buy a PPRUNE community 737 and use it for pleasure flying/hour building ;) Any takers?

Birky
24th Jun 2008, 08:27
Jeez...scary business really. But then it has been since I first sat in that C152.

I wonder whether half of this 'economic misery' is down to all the newspapers going on about it all the time!

Thanx all for your views anyway

Birky

Brainstorm
25th Jun 2008, 22:43
Sky high oil prices, house prices falling... and just look what is happening to the aviation industry in the US. We won't be immune to problems over here in Europe.

It is easy to find excuses to start pilot training as it is often a boyhood dream.

But..do your homework, read the facts and make a logical decision as opposed to an emotional decision.