PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructor as a career

RTN11
21st Jun 2008, 13:09
There are so many threads on here about people going into instructing just to put hours in their logbook.

I would really like to be an instructor as a long term career.

The questions I have is how long would it take to get into a settled wage? when I start instructing, I know I will only be getting paid for the hours I fly, which will not be a lot instructing PPL during the winter months. How long until you are on a salary basis? would it be a good salary?

How much more would I need to invest to further my instructing ablities? how do I get to a point where I can instruct CPL, or IR ratings? How much wage increase would this bring?

If anyone could help that would be great. If you don't want to quote figures on the thread, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

RTN

Shunter
21st Jun 2008, 16:03
LASORS is your friend regarding privileges. Section H, to be precise. You need 500 total time, of which 200 instructing, to then instruct for the CPL. IRI requires 800 IFR hours (but 1 hour by sole ref to instruments counts for 4 IFR hours), then you've got tests etc to do. Getting the "applied instrument" restriction removed from your basic FI is a lot easier, and will allow you to teach for the IMC rating.

Of the chaps I know, those doing basic PPL instruction say the money is atrocious. Ok if you get a sunny month and pack the hours in, but gash the rest of the time. CPL/IR instruction is better paid. Last time I spoke to someone at that level they were on topside of 25k basic, plus flight hours pay. Perhaps someone with first-hand experience will be along shortly...