PDA

View Full Version : UK Citizen, USA Tax Rebate

alanmtc
19th Jun 2008, 17:44
Hello,

After spending 11 month in Florida doing my pilot training, if I keep all my reciepts over the year, Can I claim back all my TAX before my return to the UK??

The Americans claim their tax back over here, can us Brits do it there??

Many thanks

Re-Heat
19th Jun 2008, 18:10
I doubt it - the refund is available to US taxpayers, and even though you reside there for 11 months, you would never be a US taxpayer, earning in the US.

alanmtc
19th Jun 2008, 18:21
but as a "holiday maker" can i not claim tax back on any purchases such as clothes, food, etc

the americans who come on holiday to the uk, they keep all their receipts, and claim back al their tax at the airport before they fly home..

Whirlygig
19th Jun 2008, 18:22
If you're thinking of sales tax (i.e. the US equivalent of VAT), then no, because you are paying a sales tax on a service based in that country.

If you purchase goods in the US and bring them back to the UK, you reclaim the sales tax at US customs on departure (after getting a form from the vendor) and pay UK VAT on arrival. Probably doesn't pay you to do that!

If you're thinking of reclaiming the training costs against your previously earned income and tax thereon, that's a no-no with regard to UK tax legislation. If you are going to be a freelance, self-employed pilot, then you would need to seek the advice of a qualified accountant as to whether you can reclaim the training costs again future income as a pilot. However, my understading is that these are not allowable.

Cheers

Whirls

bubble0seven
19th Jun 2008, 18:45
From april to april you can claim back any income tax paid as you have been put of the country for over 6 motnhs with and one period longer than 90 days, you will also recieve a break for the current tax year as yur code will be different

Matthew Adams
19th Jun 2008, 20:26
If you purchase goods in the US and bring them back to the UK, you reclaim the sales tax at US customs on departure (after getting a form from the vendor) and pay UK VAT on arrival. Probably doesn't pay you to do that!

Oh back in the good old days you could!!

Sad to say that not any more you can't.

They've changed their legisation!