PDA

View Full Version : Airbus ailerons

JammedStab
18th Jun 2008, 14:46
Flew on an A300-600 recently and it appeared to only have what are sometimes referred to as high speed ailerons. No ailerons at the outer wing. Does this make a significant difference in the feel of the aircraft?

Pugilistic Animus
18th Jun 2008, 15:27
perhaps--a 'flaperon' system:confused:

PA

IFixPlanes
18th Jun 2008, 17:00
perhaps--a 'flaperon' system:confused:

Airbus calls them "all speed aileron" (ASA).
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7751/a306aileronyj9.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a306aileronyj9.jpg)

airfoilmod
18th Jun 2008, 17:08
I believe Lockheed called them Direct Lift Control 40 years ago.

Airfoil

ola Pooja- Don't forget split flaperons, spoilerons, spillerons, flexerons,
vectorons, and eumorons.

spannersatKL
18th Jun 2008, 18:14
Airfoil my understanding was that the L1011 Direct Lift Control (DLC) only affected the Spoilers....they appeared to rise and fall in unison on the approach with the system engaged..the -500 I seem to remember had wierd outboard Ailerons for load alleviation though....(Like the A320 with the LAF system).

airfoilmod
18th Jun 2008, 21:02
My recall as well. I believe the ailerons were coupled to damp roll as an integral function of what Lockheed assumed would "FBW" or manage slight flight path correction to deliver an "auto" ride, faster than Human. I don't remember why it wasn't considered just a more responsive and more finely tuned A/P.

rgds Airfoil

Idle Thrust
18th Jun 2008, 21:15
Never flew the A-300 but the diagram appears to show spoilers being used for roll assist, a common feature of most, if not all jet transports. Some also have inboard and outboard ailerons where the outboard ones are locked out at higher speeds.

Lockheed's DLC had little to do with roll but was coupled to pitch control, the spoilers being deflected up to a neutral (ca 8°) position on approach and then they retracted or extended (to a max of ca 16°) as commanded by pitch demands (all-flying tail moved too). This allowed small vertical corrections with no airplane pitch change. Wonderful system. The spoilers were also affected by roll commands in this configuration.

Load alleviation was also brought in by Lockheed on the L-1011-550 series but is a completely different animal, used by most modern designs, especially FBW ones.

Never flew the B-52 either but I believe that it had NO ailerons - roll control was all accomplished by spoilers.

glhcarl
19th Jun 2008, 00:29
My recall as well. I believe the ailerons were coupled to damp roll as an integral function of what Lockheed assumed would "FBW" or manage slight flight path correction to deliver an "auto" ride, faster than Human. I don't remember why it wasn't considered just a more responsive and more finely tuned A/P.

The L-1011-500 Extended Wing/Active Controls was used to use take advantage of the reduce drag that comes with an increased span (higher aspect ration) wing. There is a 4 1/2 foot extension on each -500 wing. Vertical accelerometers sence an increase in wing loads due to gusts or maneuvers and reposition both outboard ailerons to reduce lift. Reducing lift on the extended outboard wings shifts the loads inboard and lowers the stress to a level equal to the shorter (low aspect ration) wing found on the earlier TriStar models.

JammedStab
19th Jun 2008, 01:52
It appears that the older A300's do have outboard ailerons but not the 600 series or the A-310.

dixi188
19th Jun 2008, 22:52
A300-B1/B2/B2K/B4 have Inboard "All Speed" Ailerons and outboard "Low Speed" Ailerons. The Low Speed Ailerons are connected when the Slats are extended, and work with the All Speed ailerons.
When the slats are retracted they are disconnected and remain in the neutral (0 degrees) position.

The A300-600 (Actually A300-B4-600) has a fixed trailing edge instead of the outboard ailerons.

Hope this helps.

411A
20th Jun 2008, 16:09
This subject was covered in detail in the threads/discussion of the AA587 A300-600R crash at New York some years ago.
On this particular model, it was stated the outboard ailerons were eliminated to save structure weight.
It was further stated, that in the opinion of several pilots who had flown the type, that roll control was thus affected to some degree.

And yes, DLC on the L1011 (all models) has nothing to do with ailerons.

glhcarl has given a fine discription of the ACS system on the -500 series TriStar, and yes, it does work to perfection.

Lockheed....far ahead of everyone else.
'Tis a fact:E