PDA

View Full Version : PPL & Weather

Shiver me timbers!
18th Jun 2008, 12:25
Hi,

Can anyone adapt on the types of weather required for PPL training. I know that, for example, if it's windy the lesson may be cancelled but what speed constitutes to a cancellation?

I'm also thinking in terms of actual numerical figures for the following;

Visibility (3km?)
Cloud base
Air pressure
Temp?

There must be loads more...

Thanks.

christophe75
18th Jun 2008, 13:11
The windspeed that constitutes a cancellation is always indicated in your aircraft flight manual... In case of an DR400/12O for example, the max windspeed is 22kt crosswind (you'll have to determinate the crosswind component).

For visibility and ceiling, it's determinate by the class space where you fly and relief characteristics.

Most frequently, you must have 5 km of visibility (which is poor...) and your aircraft must be at vertically 1000ft and horizontally 1500meters of clouds.
You must think at your proximity with ground to determinate which ceilling will be minimum to undertake your flight.

Anyway, your FI will teach you all these basics of PPL, and you learn that "aircraft is a means of rapid transport for people in no hurry" ;) even more in VFR ...

G SXTY
18th Jun 2008, 13:20
There are usually:

(a) Legal and/or aircraft POH limits.

(b) Club rules for qualified pilots, i.e. PPL holders

(c) Club limits for solo students.

It's been a while since I was batting around in 152s, but from memory the club's rules got more restictive in inverse proportion to the pilot's experience. Quite right too - I wouldn't recommend exploring VFR minimums as a student pilot. :ooh: