PDA

View Full Version : twin engined turbo prop with similar speeds to a Lockheed Herc

dunc0936
17th Jun 2008, 20:33
Hi all

I'm looking for a twin engined turbo prop with similar speeds to a Lockheed Herc, the Piper Aztec will do a max speed of 210mph but thats 80mph short of the Herc's cruising speed,

So does anyone know of a type similar to the Aztec with crusing speeds around 280mph?????

Regards

Duncan

ps also needs a range of around 1200 to 1500 miles

Fox3snapshot
17th Jun 2008, 21:37
twin engined turbo prop

Piper Aztec?? Thought you were looking for turboprops, my recollection of the ol Aztec is a twin engined piston??!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/Fox3snapshot/Active%20Web%20Pix/BAS_VH-CBP.jpg

:ooh:

Tui Hat Wearing Son
17th Jun 2008, 21:45
Cessna F406/425
KingAir
Piper Cheyenne
Jetstream 31/32
Saab 340
ATP
Dash 8

loads more i can't think of.....:ok:

BaldEd
17th Jun 2008, 21:59
Convair 580. With those big Allison turboprops it sounds just like a Herc too. 295kt/340mph cruise.

dunc0936
17th Jun 2008, 22:02
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Hellenic_Coast_Guard_Reims-Cessna_F406.JPG/300px-Hellenic_Coast_Guard_Reims-Cessna_F406.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hellenic_Coast_Guard_Reims-Cessna_F406.JPG)

would it be possible to fit a aar prob to one of those things?

Scooby Don't
18th Jun 2008, 00:47
Sure! Just not a fuel tank to supply it....:E

Edit: My bad, thought you wanted to use it as the tanker!
Why not save an engine and go with a PC12?

Canoehead
18th Jun 2008, 03:42
Antonov 12

ATCO1962
18th Jun 2008, 04:01
AN12- four engines; now the AN24..that's got two.:ok:

Both worthless, Soviet-era relics that don't deserve to be in the sky.

Fox3snapshot
18th Jun 2008, 06:50
Or this beasty! :}

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/Fox3snapshot/Active%20Web%20Pix/5A-DREAN-32PLibyanGovtFireDepartmen.jpg

dunc0936
18th Jun 2008, 08:28
AN32p now thats a beast, bit out of my budget, lol would not need to refuel so much that way though

18th Jun 2008, 08:29
Dash 8D [Q400] and SAAB 2000 both faster than C130.
There is a trend to go over to a turbo-prop single rather than twin. Look at TBM 700 [300knots cruise], or the TBM850. www.tbm850.com

dunc0936
18th Jun 2008, 08:33
nice aircraft, interesting performance, range good, would only need to refuel 5 ish times depending on the weather

360BakTrak
18th Jun 2008, 11:24
Not really an ATC thread but never mind..................what do you need this aircraft for? And how would you arrange AAR? Not really something you can just have a go at!

ATCO1962
18th Jun 2008, 13:20
Actually, dunc, you might be able to afford the AN32. I wouldn't think there's much of a market for them except in parts of Africa and Asia, so go on, make an offer.

But the question remains.....what do you want it for and where exactly are you taking it and the things you want to put in it?:E

Jerricho
18th Jun 2008, 13:30
C160 Transall. :E

Daysleeper
18th Jun 2008, 18:46
would it be possible to fit a aar prob to one of those things?

Not only possible but I know a company that can do it, pilots who can fly it and its all in the UK if you need it.

You could also use it as a tanker, you can fit a belly pod to hold the drogue and use internal or conformal tanks.

You might be a little low on speed though but depends how much you want to hang off the outside.

Lon More
18th Jun 2008, 20:06
Strange criteria for choosing an aircraft - same speed as something else

Strange forum to be asking where you can get one too.

Any black cars parked outside??

360BakTrak
18th Jun 2008, 20:16
............or men in white coats.........

Gonzo
18th Jun 2008, 20:30
Are we playing Top Trumps?:}

Fox3snapshot
18th Jun 2008, 21:40
Think we are all victims of a practical joke...!

Seems we have too much time on our hands, I mean who Googles a picture of an AN32 for Pete's sake! Doh! Ok, ya got me! :p

dunc0936
18th Jun 2008, 21:55
ok let me explain, so about putting the thread on here, was not sure which one to put it on, this seemed to be the best one,

the reason I was asking about this is as follows it is totally a hyperthetical question, started off after reading the Black Buck book about the bombing missions to the Falklands,

and instead of flying via the RAF to the faklands for a visit (which Im seriously planning) why not take my own plane down there, aar it about five times to Acsenion then the same to the falklands, or come to that Going across the pond, more straight forward than going via Iceland, Green land Canada etc.

I accept it would be a hell of a lot more complicated and a hell of a lot more expensive but a hell of a lot more fun ;)

So setting that aside for the moment and this would apply to other modification to civilian types

Would you

a. be allowed to add that sort of modification
b. could it be done and
c. would you be allowed to fit internal tanks where the passenger seating is as long as you did not exceed all up take off weight??

Duncan

Daysleeper
19th Jun 2008, 05:56
b. could it be done and
c. would you be allowed to fit internal tanks where the passenger seating is as long as you did not exceed all up take off weight??

a. yes, you can add any mod you like to an aeroplane, getting it approved is much more difficult but if you have time and money there are organisations who can do it for you. I've seen some very odd mods on the UK reg for special missions.

b. yes, as above its just finding someone clever enough to make it work

c. yes, light aircraft are routinely ferried with long range tanks temporarily fitted in the passenger cabin

however it is likely to be expensive, in order to be certificated by EASA its likely to be unbelievably expensive.
If its a N reg then it may be more straightforward with experimental categories.

dunc0936
19th Jun 2008, 07:59
Quote:
b. could it be done and

a. yes, you can add any mod you like to an aeroplane, getting it approved is much more difficult but if you have time and money there are organisations who can do it for you. I've seen some very odd mods on the UK reg for special missions.

b. yes, as above its just finding someone clever enough to make it work

c. yes, light aircraft are routinely ferried with long range tanks temporarily fitted in the passenger cabin

however it is likely to be expensive, in order to be certificated by EASA its likely to be unbelievably expensive.
If its a N reg then it may be more straightforward with experimental categories.

thought as much really, I'm not sure of the size of refueling probs, but having looked around one off a Herc or Tristar/VC10 might be the best option if I was to do it, from my little engineering knowledge it would need to be on the nose, and straight out as far as possible to avoid the props,

on the other hand perhaps a light weight one off made specially would be lighter,

I doubt that the Air forces of the world would be interested in helping do any of the refueling, Russia might for the money but from reports I have read Im not sure they have the tanker capablity for that sort of thing

anyway its been an idea that has been floating around in my head, and I rarely take "it can't be done" for an answer

Duncan