PDA

View Full Version : ME...when

CY333
17th Jun 2008, 17:55
Hi all.
A while ago I finished my PPL and became quite good friends with one of the instructors.
He owns a Piper Seneca 3 and offered to help me out a bit.
I can do my ME training now and will cost me just 2000 Euros.
I was talking with a Captain the other day at work and he said that is not worth doing it now as I will require to do it again later on during my commercial training next year.
He got me a bit confused there so I am asking you guys what u believe is best to do.
Thanks.

redout
17th Jun 2008, 22:31
Most people do the ME combined with the IR. He maybe meant that you would have to renew it again in 12 months but thats all. Makes more sense though to combine it with the IR as you will save yourself some money. Remember multi hours are awfully expensive.

EK4457
17th Jun 2008, 22:47
Redout, you cannot do two ratings at once. That would be double charging the hours. 1 hour of training has to be towards one rating, what ever it may be.

CY, you can do MEP rating as part of your CPL (a license not a rating) and have the skills test count as both. Usually costs about £1.5k more than a SEP CPL. So you save around £500 with normal UK prices. This is what most do.

However, you can get the MEP on your PPL and just transfer it onto your CPL when you get it.

You have been given some duff info. Do it if you want.

EK

CY333
17th Jun 2008, 22:53
I believe that I will do it at the end as I get to do it cheaper.....

redout
17th Jun 2008, 22:56
But you can do the ME and IR exam combined can you not ?

nmcpilot
18th Jun 2008, 03:45
Maybe worth doing, as said before most people do the ME combined with CPL or IR but doing the multi engine rating before either I suppose would get you ahead of the game if you are going to do your CPL and IR in a Seneca. As it gives you more time to concentrate on your flying rather than learning new systems and checklists but then it doesn't really take long to get used to so I think if you did the rating before you would probably end up spending more.

Hardest thing for me to get used to on the Seneca was taxying the bloody thing hehe

EK4457
18th Jun 2008, 07:42
Redout - you used to be able to combine the two a while back but that has now changed. Partly as a result of incidents where EFATO on twins caused fatal accidents. It was found that the PIC had no understanding of VYSE or VMCA and simply lost control by not REDUCING throttle below VMCA. You now have to do a seperate VFR rating with all the theory and the exam (or combine it with CPL).