PDA

View Full Version : pilot training optimum age

mattyc112233
17th Jun 2008, 13:42
i am 17 and starting to plan my future, and i have decided that i want to do the training to become a commercial pilot. if i went to do my training as soon as i finished college at age 18 i could in theory have passed the course when im 19. will airlines be willing to employ someone this young or should i get a job for a couple of years and save up some money before i go for pilot training?

BYALPHAINDIA
17th Jun 2008, 16:36
Hi I wish you all the very best, But I'm afraid to say that the way the Industry is going, it may only have 5 years left in it MAX??

You will have to have some 40,000 pounds + more and that's just at the start.:ugh:

2008 is proving to be a very 'difficult' year for everyone, And more difficult than some people estimated it to be.:hmm:

This industry has had a 'temporary' death, But will bounce back but when is the question??:confused:

To be honest I think anyone will find it hard to come up with 40,000 + even some of the Banks are not lending so much now.:=

I am not a D&G merchant and I am sure that you have plenty of enthusiasm & could probably do a good flying job, But you have to look at the 'pitfalls' first.:hmm:

A - You are only 17 - And you don't want to get yourself into debt so young.:=

B - You put everything into 1 basket and lose the lot??:ugh:

C - You miss out on other jobs/training.:*

I do sincerely wish you all the very best, You hopefully may get the money & pass the exams??

But for the time being I would look at starting other jobs/courses that are going to be more productive in the short term for you.

Keep yourself out of trouble ie police record, As so many applications have them on, And to have a clean record is obviously an assett to a potential Airline/Employer.:D

CRB checks etc are used by everybody now.

I hope you make it one day.:D

Okay,

Best Regards. :ok:

Rainboe
18th Jun 2008, 10:24
Why ever did you come up with this gem?:
Hi I wish you all the very best, But I'm afraid to say that the way the Industry is going, it may only have 5 years left in it MAX??

This is a young enthusiast who will soak up every word you say! Why spout garbage like that to him? Go on- edit that crap out!

Matty, it's hard to break in at the bottom. Make plans for a 'normal' life while you explore the possibilities and learn as much as you can. Go to Wannabees Forums and look at other peoples' experiences. Meanwhile you must give all to your education and developing what interests you have into possible careers, and then you can look to changing career. But do not set out with aviation as your only career option! Look and learn from others! Where there is a will, there is a way, but it can be very hard and very expensive! And less and less are the financial rewards in aviation justification for the sacrifice involved.

But I have been flying for 40 years. I would not have chosen anything else.