PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax-25% discount

Nearly There
16th Jun 2008, 09:44
Morning all,

I had applied to the local council for a 25% discount on council tax as I am a student, I have completed the fATPL and am currently on a FIC course, all courses one after the other full time modular so effectively a student for around 18 months.

The council have said I dont qualify as its not through a university,college or polytechnic!

Any one else applied succesfully and if so did it go to appeal?

Thanks NT :ok:

Whirlygig
16th Jun 2008, 09:49
Your Local Authority is correct; the discounts are quite clearly laid down in legislation and modular flight training does not count for the reason stated. Actually, integrated flight training wouldn't count either!! Unlikely to get anywhere on appeal.

The only one that would qualify for a discount would be an aviation degree where you also study for the ATPL ground exams.

If you live on your own, you can get 25% single person discount.

Cheers

Whirls

Nearly There
16th Jun 2008, 10:12
Cheers Whirls, tax tax and more bl00dy tax for flight training students!!

Was worth a try at least.

NT:ok:

Hansard
16th Jun 2008, 10:25
I don't think this helps you but when I did the residential ATPL groundschool several years ago, I managed to persuade my local council that I was a full-time student. I didn't pay any Council Tax whatsoever for 6 months. I had to prove that I'd enrolled on a course of full-time study which lasted at least 6 months. I only just met the 6 month criterion by using the groundschool start date and the date of the last exam to calculate the overall duration.

Whirlygig
16th Jun 2008, 11:13
Hansard, you were lucky - they shouldn't have granted it!!

Cheers

Whirls

PS - Up until last week, I worked in the Revenue and Benefits Dept of a Local Authority!!!

SlingsbyT67M
16th Jun 2008, 17:11
I am currently undertaking the modular route and am eagerly awaiting my phase 2 results (holding my breath in relation to Gen Nav and flight planning).

I have been and continue to receive a discount in relation to my council tax as I am considered to be a student. All you need do is get a certified letter from your training organisation (flying school) that verifies you to indeed be a student, give this to the council and they will provide you with the discount.

In fact this was never in doubt or questioned. Again, it would appear that certain indiviguals on Prune just want to comment on the negative, i.e. you were lucky blah blah blah :ugh:. Get the letter, go back to the council and try again.

Artie Fufkin
16th Jun 2008, 17:50
Totally agree. I got a letter from my FTO stating I was a full time student and I got an exemption from the council (and an NUS card).

SlingsbyT67M
16th Jun 2008, 17:52
We need more positive folk such as yourself on these forums

Whirlygig
16th Jun 2008, 18:09
Again, it would appear that certain indiviguals on Prune just want to comment on the negative, i.e. you were lucky blah blah blah
Would that be me perchance??? :hmm:

As I said, this was something I used to do for a living. MY interpretation of the legislation is that distance learning through an aviation ground school did not count as being a student. In the one case that I DID encounter at my Local Authority, the discount was refused but no appeal was forthcoming.

If you get a discount, fair enough but I would not say it was your entitlement so don't be disappointed if it's refused.

If being positive means not pointing out rules and regulations, not pointing out the pitfalls and problems, then I'm proud to be negative! I don't want people to think they can do this and that with tax etc, when they can't!

Cheers

Whirls

will fly for food 06
17th Jun 2008, 10:21
I got 100% discount when I did all the courses.:)

Nearly There
17th Jun 2008, 13:13
Thats because you lot still live in the trees!:ok:

ps hope the FI going well..

Nearly There
17th Jun 2008, 16:01
Thanks folks, interesting to see our local councils have different views on this!

Whirls, can individual local authorities have different views on this, surely they should all be singing of the same hym sheet?

Think I will get a letter from the FTO and go to appeal anyway, nothing to loose:ok:

Maude Charlee
17th Jun 2008, 17:23
Not unusual to find that local authorities have little or no understanding of current legislation, or implement it incorrectly.

The key to the discount is being enrolled on an 'approved' course of study with an approved provider. Students training with the big FTOs, and living within the local authority area of those FTOs, can reasonably expect to receive their discount with little or no problem at all.

If however, you live outside of these authority areas, or are training with a smaller FTO, you may well have to appeal the decision as your council is unlikely to come across this type of training on a regular basis.

Whirlygig
17th Jun 2008, 17:40
can individual local authorities have different views on this, surely they should all be singing of the same hym sheet?
Yes. And yes.

My understanding was that the establishment had to be approved under the Education Act (blah blah ...).

Not unusual to find that local authorities have little or no understanding of current legislation, or implement it incorrectly.
Thanks for the vote of confidence MC!! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

17th Jun 2008, 18:41
On a similar note, so hope it is relevant to the thread ..... does anyone know whether you can get a student 'status' or be entitled to any form of benefit, if you are going down the full time modular route?

Some how I doubt it, given that I resigned from my job, I'm not actively seeking employment and my missus has a fairly well paid job that means we aren't entitled to any tax credits.

Just wondered whether anyone else had any experience along those lines?

Many thanks.

Whirlygig
17th Jun 2008, 23:18
Wife in well-paid job? No tax credits? No, you wouldn't be entitled to any form of benefit.

Explained_here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926)

Cheers

Whirls

18th Jun 2008, 07:35
Thanks Whirls. Never applied for tax credits, but don't think we would get any even with kids. But it was worth asking for the sake of a quick question.

Thanks for the link and taking the time to reply!

seneca50
18th Jun 2008, 20:31
I did integrated at OAT a few years ago and managed to get 25% off. It took a few phone calls, letter writing and proof of fulltime course from training school before council would let me have it though. I also qualified for max tax credits with 2 kids and wife working parttime hours.