PDA

View Full Version : Timed Turns???

sparx007
16th Jun 2008, 02:30
Hey all,

Just a quick one to ask on any methods for timed turns??? I'm not looking for the theory or anything like that....just a method as sometimes i hit it..other times i'm 20 odd degrees out which is frustrating as hell!!!! any thoughts as to what works for you or not??? when to start the timer??? when to roll out etc etc etc???

Cheers,

Sparx

BigGrecian
16th Jun 2008, 03:27
Your instructor should be the one to teach you this however...

Firstly, most people fail this section for incorrect number of seconds of turn etc.
Use a spare compass card to set the heading your on now, then count the number of seconds, slowly in your head or even out loud. (Saying it out loud will prevent you from rushing). Remember the numbers on a compass card on an RBI/RMI/DI are every 30 degrees, and every 30 degrees = 10 seconds.

You want to start the turn once the wings are at rate 1, think about the components of lift and which way they are acting, the turn doesn't establish until the horizontal component of lift is present, which pretty much is when the wings hit the rate 1 angle of bank.

In terms of levelling off, just do so when your time is up. Concentrate on your scan for about 10 seconds then you can cross check the Magnetic compass.

Remember for North, South, East or West you don't need to time it!
Under read North,
Over read South
No error on East and West.

:ok: