PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Working in Asia

shamrockpilot
15th Jun 2008, 13:53
Good day all

I'm a U.S. regional airline pilot who you could fairly say is concerned about the state of the U.S. airline industry.

I'm nearing times that I feel may be eligible to apply for ex-pat positions overseas (3-4K total, 1000 turbine PIC) though likely not in the left seat. I am particularly interested in the opportunities within Asia. This is my first experience with this type of job search.

I would appreciate any advice, direction, and especially first hand experiences from any one working under similar conditions at an Asian Airline.

It seems that most Asian Carriers are hiring through crew leasing companies. Is that always the case? Do any carriers hire directly? What are the more reputable crew leasers, and who should i probably avoid?

Are the jobs in Asia commutable from with-in Aisa (Philippines, Thailand, Korea, or Japan)? How about from the U.S.? Are there reciprocal agreements with other carriers? ZED passes?, etc. What is cost of living like around Asia?

Its hard to find payscales for some of the Asian Carriers (CEBPAC, Asian Spirit, etc) Does anyone know a good place for reference on pay?

What is the crew dynamic like? Is crew communication challenging in mixed crews? How about Communication with cabin crew/passengers/ATC.

How are operations different is Asia from the U.S. side of things? What are some of the common challenges faced by a fresh face there?

Is an FAA ATP sufficient or will i need to convert it? How best to convert it?

I apologize in advance, i'm sure that much of this has been covered ad-naseum previously. I certainly would appreciate some help. I'm looking to start applying in earnest in 6 months to a year from now.

Thanks! :)

getsetgo
15th Jun 2008, 14:09
hii
I'm a U.S. regional airline pilot who you could fairly say is concerned about the state of the U.S. airline industry.

this region also same worries .

read some more on the site about india and the subcontinent.
good luck

jumpdrive
15th Jun 2008, 14:11
hi mate

since i've see its your 1st post here
i strongly recommend you to start clicking the SEARCH tab above
and do your home work, like ALL of us did
'cause all the questions youve asked ...................YES
have been (and still are) covered before a zillion times
just get a coffee or coke or better a scotch (on the rocks)
and sit down & read all that
so you can maybe get a picture of what is like living and working here
nothing like U.S. mate

good luck & good hunting

c ya

NG_Kaptain
15th Jun 2008, 17:30
Try the Middle East forums too. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff though, lots of posters have agendas.

B737NG
16th Jun 2008, 23:16
If you are not too scared after you have read the tip of the Iceberg then go ahead and open your eyes when you see some Asian Airlines arriving and talk to ATC-guys as well. You might think they tell you stories.... no they just tell you a little of what you may have as your daily task. If your Captain is then a "local" he will find alot of excuses not to give you the sector/leg, just to make sure you stay lower forever, just in case. Also the chances of going right to left are very low. In some Interviews you are told frankly:No upgrade.

Fly safe and land happy

NG