PDA

View Full Version : Airline Crew Scheduling

cool_pilot
15th Jun 2008, 12:18
Hi,

I have recently been put in charge of installing a new crew rostering system in my airline. Can anyone would be kind enough to recommend some scheduling software? Bearing in mind that we operate a fleet of 15 aircrafts (another 8 on order) on a scheduled basis ?

Many thanks in advance,

dc9-32
15th Jun 2008, 14:03
Please check your PM's :ok:

cool_pilot
15th Jun 2008, 16:16
Cheers DC-9.

Have you been using Acrobatico ?

Rgds

KEB
15th Jun 2008, 18:25
You should check out AIMS software.

WWW.AIMS.AERO (http://www.AIMS.AERO)

They are a fully integrated system or can work with other software systems. I've used it at two airlines successfully. It seems to be user friendly and mostly user configurable. Give it a look.

Good Luck, not an easy task you have. Make sure the whole team is on the same page.

dc9-32
16th Jun 2008, 08:34
cool_pilot

Yes, I have used Acrobatico at various companies and have also used AIMS which by far is more superior (but is also VERY expensive) in comparison. You would need a substantial fleet (50 plus a/c) to make it a more viable and cost effective option, in my opinion.

I PM'd you yesterday in reply.

Rgds

gusset fresh
16th Jun 2008, 15:36
Oh yes, the joy of AIMS. What a marvellous piece of kit. Can compile a report on almost anything and is a great tool for the majority of any airline. In fact theres only 2 areas where it lets itself down slightly.

1. Ops
2. Crewing

Apart from that its great. :D

Joking aside AIMS is very robust (bordering on bullett proof) but the manner in which changes are made is lengthy. Your Crewing dept will need to double in size to do the same job and Ops is made more complex too. Visually its not that great to look at either - but you'll get used to it.

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Jun 2008, 16:18
cool - when you say 15 aircraft how big?, total crew. AIMS is expensive.
gusset - a systems only as good as it's user :\

gusset fresh
17th Jun 2008, 17:30
Thats a bit harsh :p

cool_pilot
17th Jun 2008, 20:04
Cheers folks,

Gusset- AIMS is a reliable system it has alot of potential, but; and as DC9 said it would be more viable for a larger airline (50+ A/C)

Mr.Angry- At the mean time we have 15 A/C online and we need 10 pilots per A/C to operate them efficiently. As for cabin crew we have around 140 attendants.

Rgds,

Cool

Big Tudor
17th Jun 2008, 21:29
cool_pilot

What about trying yer local supplier. Rocade are still based in Stockholm, although now owned by Sabre in the US. Cost is tailored to the size of your operation, as with AIMS.

JB007
20th Jun 2008, 17:37
Avoid Carmen...it's :mad:

I understand there was a "Micro" version of AIMS for smaller operators??? Someone will confirm...

Little Blue
20th Jun 2008, 19:33
AIMS is an excellent system. We (bmibaby) have 20+ a/c and the remark about having to double yr crewing/ops to work it is bull...
When we split from bmi, we went from working with six in crewing/hotac and four in ops, to THREE staff doing everything.
The system is dream to use and, with the right training given, can only benefit an airline. Expensive, yes, but speculate to accumulate?
And, no, I DON'T work for em !

Inspecthergadget
21st Jun 2008, 13:11
Want my advice?
Get one that works.

Big Tudor
21st Jun 2008, 22:36
Inspecthergadget
They all work, it's the users that are the problem. Cr@p in, cr@p out. :hmm:

Inspecthergadget
22nd Jun 2008, 17:53
You must be talking from experience then.

FL460
30th Jun 2008, 19:28
SITA have a system called CrewWatch. I think if you go to SITA - Air Transport Communications and IT solutions (http://www.sita.aero) and follow the products link to Flight Ops you will find some info
cheers:ok:

Yer Man
1st Jul 2008, 09:37
Also have a look at ASL systems "new york" suite.
Used this for 5 years for ops, crewing, commercial planning.
Excellent, robust system from a small company and very reasonably priced with good software support.

contacts :-
+44 01332 853520
[email protected]
www.aviationsystems.co.uk (http://www.aviationsystems.co.uk)

JABAG
6th Jul 2008, 15:56
Hey Guys,
what about the GENEVA system? think its better than AIMS?

JABAG

minigundiplomat
30th Jul 2008, 20:03
In the military we have a system called STARS. It has it's foibles but is good for rostering, and links up to currencies, qualifications and hours logging.

Doesn't make the tea though.

Bergkamp10
1st Aug 2008, 09:31
I have just finished a tasking with a company in Holland and plus a small carrier in Finland. They were had the SITA Crewing system which was extremely good. But again I understand that they had excellent training, and use SITA Flight Planning as well.

In the UK I would go for AIMS as the best system, but again as mentioned it's the users that count.;)

DB10

Level2
6th Aug 2008, 11:27
Having used Sabre ,AIMS and Carmen ......AIMS wins hands down everytime!

mutt
7th Aug 2008, 13:54
most popular

As voted by whom?

Mutt

office bod
7th Aug 2008, 15:12
used AIMS / RM / Acrobatico / Excel Spreadsheet / paper n pencil.

All work well but it all depends on what "product" you want to get out the system...

:ok:

Opssys
7th Aug 2008, 16:46
OfficeBod has made a valid point:

used AIMS / RM / Acrobatico / Excel Spreadsheet / paper n pencil.
All work well but it all depends on what "product" you want to get out the system...
A small number of Aircraft a good roster monger, a crew record clerk and a crewing aware Operations Section and computerised assistance is difficult to justify.

More AIrcraft More Crews and a Crew Records System is a really good idea, even if Rostering stays Manual and there is now a Crew Control Bod.

Bigger still and a full crewing suite makes sense, especially if working from the same Database as the Operations Control System.

From experience of 'Crewing Systems' both old and new (from the systems side), I will say that a good crewing system correctly set up will always produce a legal roster, but a good roster monger can always add value to systems output by tweaking it to produce a good roster.