PDA

View Full Version : What should I study?

Tima84
12th Jun 2008, 17:07
Hello, everybody!

Got sick of working in a bank. Decided to follow my parents steps and become a pilot! For some reason I never showed any interest in aviation, and my Dad never pushed me! Right now I feel that I wasted 4 years in college studying courses in the area that absolutely does not interest me. I did what a succesful student in my country was supposed to do and that is to go to US and get a business admin degree. Sometimes it feels like I chose that area of study because I did not know what am I good for. Apparently this decision was not right. Working in the bank made me want to jump out of my office window. At the same time feel kind of guilty for "waking up" so late! I am 24.
My Dad does not fly any more, but my uncle is in charge of pilot training in our national airline. They are currently in the process of selecting candidates for flight training in Europe. My uncle is helping me out as much as he can. I just went through my medical examination. Had some minor problems, so medical commission will probably let me train. The problem is in math, physics and psychomotor test. I dont not have a clue what they are, because the airline is still in the process of chosing a flight school. I was not good in math and physics in high school. Math was never extra hard, I just never tried. Right now I am studying math and physics by using OAT MEDIA study packs that bought a month ago. So my question is, are those study packs enough to pass the tests? How about the psychomotor aptitude test?

Thanks in advance

jb2_86_uk
12th Jun 2008, 23:00
Welcome to PPrune Tima! :ok:

The general rule with FTO selection tests are that theyre done to GCSE levels. At the age of 24 and working in Finance, Im sure your grasp of numbers isnt as bad as you make out! I bought some GCSE revision guides for Maths and Physics and certainly with the Maths, I had waaay over-estimated the level required. Get familiar with speed/distance/time questions. As with most things, it is a case of learning the fundamentals and then applying it. Also a good imagination to "see" the questions is a useful commodity!

The physics was tricky - A lot of stuff I hadnt even thought about since I studied it at GCSE & A-Level level (Hardly a million years ago, but when youre not using it on a regular basis, this kinda info quickly goes out the window). But using the revision guide I was pretty comfortable when it came to sitting the exams.

As for the Psychomotor aptitude tests. Its one of those things that you cant really practice for. You either have it or you dont! Greedy software companies will sell you similar programs to 'practice' with. But personally, I am dubious that one can aquire aptitude. But hey, if you want to try and prove me wrong - I wish you all the best!

At the end of the day, you're 24. Youre still going to be among the youngest in any FTO class you find yourself in. Looking at some of my friends now (21-23) I doubt they will have "woken up" by 24, and indeed, some of my older friends 24+ still havent "woken up" and found what they want to do in life.

Grab life by the balls and seize the moment!

PM me if you want any more info, Ill be happy to help

JB