PDA

View Full Version : Website to download POHs

newpilot83
12th Jun 2008, 05:41
Hey Everyone..

Heard some time ago frm my CFI (who isnt contactable now) that we could download FREE copies of POHs in software format..

Need soft copy of POHs of particular aircrafts.. Any suggestions of websites, pls advice..

Notso Fantastic
12th Jun 2008, 08:02
Young man- aviation is beset with these blasted TLAs, and everyone assumes everyone else knows whatever TLA they are spouting means! So I haven't a clue what your TLA means after 41 years in aviation, even though you are obviously very happy with it. Care to enlighten?

K.Whyjelly
12th Jun 2008, 08:49
Young man- aviation is beset with these blasted TLAs, and everyone assumes everyone else knows whatever TLA they are spouting means! So I haven't a clue what your TLA means after 41 years in aviation, even though you are obviously very happy with it. Care to enlighten?

These TLA's or Three Letter Anacronyms (within the aviation world at least) stand for;

CFI - Certified Flight Instructor (in the USA) or Chief Flying Instructor in UK.

POH's - Pilots Operating Handbook

My all time favourite has to be;

RTFQ= 1/2 TFA :O (not quite 3 letters but ces't la vie)

point8six
12th Jun 2008, 11:46
K.Whyjelly - Q.E.D.:ok:

Fournier Boy
12th Jun 2008, 17:14
Try www.tailwheel.nl

Lots of cool aeroplane types POH on there.....

FB

foxmoth
12th Jun 2008, 18:23

And if you have been in aviation for 41 and still do not know what a POH is you really must have had your head in the sand!
(from a young whipper snapper with only 38 years in aviation):ugh:

dusk2dawn
12th Jun 2008, 21:10
It is perfectly possible to be a lifetime in aviation without ever seeing a POH as it is a TLA used primarily within the General Aviation community.

foxmoth
13th Jun 2008, 14:21
True - and if this were not a GA forum that would be fine!:hmm:

papa oscar
15th Jun 2008, 20:37
what aircraft POH are you after?

IO540
16th Jun 2008, 07:06
You can buy generic POHs but these are useless for flying. You need a specific one for the aircraft.

EchoMike
16th Jun 2008, 17:56
For some older aircraft generic POH's are all there is.

Cessna used generic POHs on the 150 to about 1978, when it became the 152, and the POHs on some of them ('82 and up?) are serialized to the individual airplane. The generics are on eBay for $10 all day long, the serialized manuals come only from Cessna and can cost well over $150. (add more, lots more if you are not in the USA and/or you need it in a hurry)

My 150 is a '67, and there is only a generic POH for '67 models. I also have a POH for a '67 Mooney, which is a rather more complex and somewhat faster airplane than a 150 (but to be fair, most aircraft are faster than a 150), and it is so simple as to be laughable - or scary. It doesn't tell you much more than the pointy end is the front and to please be careful - after that you're on your own.

I've also seen generic POHs for Piper Traumahawks (1978) and Cadet/Warriors (1989/90). They caution that these are ONLY generic POHs and are not the OFFICIAL POH for flight use (those are serialized to the individual aircraft).

I think the original question should have been phrased as "where can I find a POH suitable for a BugSmasher 200B, serial number XXXX".

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

IO540
16th Jun 2008, 18:44
For some older aircraft generic POH's are all there is.

OK, let's be more precise. For my TB20, new in 2002, the POH was entirely generic except for the W&B insert.

Was it any good?

No. Because while containing basic procedures like which knob to pull to operate the emergency gear release, it contained very little on avionics. It was basically a VFR and night-VFR handbook.

To make up a usable POH for say another pilot I had to photocopy this one and then insert stuff on the equipment actually fitted. This, even after removing crap like lists of amendments of amendments of amendments, doubled the size of it.