PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 2000N down

ChristiaanJ
11th Jun 2008, 20:55
This afternoon, a French Mirage 2000N from Luxeuil went down near Merdrignac, west of Rennes. Pilots ejected, no casualties or damage on the ground reported.
Anybody has any details?

Algy
12th Jun 2008, 09:55
Reportedly they jettisoned the tanks and jumped out at about 3,000ft. Pic and French words here. (http://www.ouest-france.fr/Mirage-ecrase-dans-les-Cotes-d-Armor-pas-de-victime/re/actuDet/actu_3631-645443------_actu.html)

And according to these other French words (http://www.letelegramme.com/gratuit/generales/regions/cotesarmor/laurenan-un-mirage-2000-secrase-en-pleine-campagne-20080612-3247161_1358999.php), they encountered unspecified difficulties, jettisoned empty tanks, still had problems, so jumped out.

Dan D'air
12th Jun 2008, 10:08
You've got to love the "Nuclear Dissuasion Force" in the link. It's just so..................French.

Green Flash
12th Jun 2008, 10:35
Sounds like they did what they could to recover the situation but stepped out in good time to fly another day. Hope they are OK. Lucky that it parked itself in field.

diginagain
12th Jun 2008, 10:37
Hope they are OK. Lucky that it parked itself in field.
Echo the above. Not going to help the stats, though.:}

Rossian
12th Jun 2008, 11:39
I suppose that "force de dissuasion" sounds "fluffier" and generally "nicer" than "Force de Frappe" as it used to be known; which has sort of militaristic,aggressive qualities about it don't you think?
The Ancient Mariner

ChristiaanJ
12th Jun 2008, 16:25
Well, it's much like the change from "War Ministry" to "Defense Ministry", isn't it?

And the RAF had its 'Strike Command' until 2007, which is much the same notion as 'Force de Frappe".

ChristiaanJ
12th Jun 2008, 17:18
Sorry all.
Having been involved with the type, I just was curious.
But apart from the event, I don't expect there will be any more info... this sort of 'sh!t' happens, but doesn't need discussion outside the M 2000 community, especially since the crew ejected and there was no 'collateral' damage.
So as far as I'm concerned I'm happy to close the discussion.

steamchicken
12th Jun 2008, 17:51
"Dissuasion" is French for deterrence.

Greenleader
12th Jun 2008, 19:54
As one French 2000 pilot was heard to say - no need to be too precise with the target, anywhere within a couple of miles will do! So, pickle anywhere post IP then...

Glad the boys are ok.

ChristiaanJ
12th Jun 2008, 20:36
"Dissuasion" is French for deterrence.Exactly.
So far, France hasn't made too much noise on the subject.
But a few 'little' French nukes among the centrifuges might be something like a 'deterrent'?

As one French 2000 pilot was heard to say - no need to be too precise with the target, anywhere within a couple of miles will do! So, pickle anywhere post IP then...If you want to dig out those centrifuges, you might have to be a bit more precise.

Glad the boys are ok.And to get back on topic, let's truly hope they will never have to practice what they trained for...

LeCrazyFrog
13th Jun 2008, 18:55
Bird strike from what I've heard :eek:

ChristiaanJ
13th Jun 2008, 19:57
Bird strike from what I've heardThanks!
Doing much reading between the lines, it already sounded like that.