PDA

View Full Version : Safair

ARENDIII
11th Jun 2008, 19:05
What is happening at Safair?

Wayne_101
12th Jun 2008, 10:23
Bought out by an Irish outfit. Looks like things will get better.

5seats
12th Jun 2008, 10:54
All is well with the freight operation...it seems!!

16blader
12th Jun 2008, 13:15
Not enough crew,no support from management,no time at home for the Herc crews etc. Still a great bunch of guys getting the job done out in the field. Hope it will get better soon otherwise more guys leaving, lost 2 F/O's this month.

PitchandFan
12th Jun 2008, 13:55
Irish or Kuwaiti mob?

Beta Light
12th Jun 2008, 17:43
no time at home for the Herc crews etc. Still a great bunch of guys getting the job done out in the field.

At least this has not changed in 30 years. Always been a Safair trade mark.

It's Irish.

allison
12th Jun 2008, 20:10
Safair struggling with crew shortages and herc servicability. Management couldnt care less about the situation and the decision making is extremely poor. For example: just recently an f/o was appointed, the biggest aeri he has ever flown is a Seneca 1. Poor Captains. Rumour says the herc will be phased out by 2012 and the 727's are ending their service in November this year. All hope lies on the Avro 85's, which nearly sank Safair several years back. As for the new Irish owners, lets just say they are a dry leasing company and crew are not big on the menu.

Goodluck to all...

pilotd
12th Jun 2008, 22:08
hi guys does anybody know of an email address i can send my c.v. to ?

Thanks
pilotd

Newforest2
13th Jun 2008, 07:12
If you can't Google, maybe you shouldn't apply.:ugh:

http://www.azfreight.com/azworld/aw24803.cfm#s

TwinJock
13th Jun 2008, 13:03
hi guys does anybody know of an email address i can send my c.v. to ?

You are joking - right!!!!:sad:

pilotd
13th Jun 2008, 13:38
Typical!!!

16blader
13th Jun 2008, 14:05
pilotd,

Try sending it to [email protected]. Good luck!

pilotd
13th Jun 2008, 15:02
thanks 16blader much appreciated.

pilotd
13th Jun 2008, 15:06
thanks 16blader much appreciated

reptile
13th Jun 2008, 19:07
If you can't Google, maybe you shouldn't apply.

Snotty little pratt, aren’t you? Your link shows an e-mail address for the marketing office - hardly the department a pilot should be sending his CV to.

Go ahead and shove your Google skills.

tshayela
14th Jun 2008, 17:41
Well said reptile. NF2 you need to check that crappy attitude at the door pal.

As for safair i had the pleasure of working there for a few years and I was very sad to leave. Like 99% of airlines things are not perfect there but as far as I am concerned it is allot better than most. :ok:

t

pilotd
14th Jun 2008, 17:53
hi Guys does anybody know what the min. req. are for an F/O the website does not have any info about pilot recruitment.

Thanks
pilotd

5seats
15th Jun 2008, 07:28
Heard the 727's will be phased out by Nov'08 and will be replaced by B737-300's. Will they use rated pilots??

TooBadSoSad
15th Jun 2008, 10:02
Heard the 727's will be phased out by Nov'08 and will be replaced by B737-300's

More likely the B737-200 freighters that SAA leases from Safair which are to be returned early next year.

JTrain
15th Jun 2008, 10:05
Are the Hercs going to be replaced? I thought the UN contracts + other work Safair was doing with them was quite lucrative. Is it aircraft age + maintenance or Antonovs (lower cost Russian operators whose prices can't be beat) that is causing them to phased out by 2012?

Seems like a cool gig, not too many civilian pilots get to fly a C130.

jt

tshayela
15th Jun 2008, 17:44
safair requirments are about 2500 hours and altp subjects for the hercs and about 3000 hours with altp subjects and preferably a similar type rating for the jets. looks like the hercs will stay for a bit longer. the 727's will be gone before the end of this year and there are rumours abound that they will get 737 200 or 300's. the question of who will crew them is still up for debate as far as i hear. it is possible they may outsource for crew. i also heard that comair may operate the 737's. as i said these are rumours so i may be wrong. it is just what i heard.;)

ps yes the hercs are great to fly but the 727's are better!

ARENDIII
15th Jun 2008, 20:51
Good news chaps,
Seems the requirements have been lowered.
Rumour has it that a first officer has been hired with very low hours on a Senaca 1.
Not sure of the licence held but believe to have less than 2000 TT.
Just to put things into perspective-Safair requirements 15 years ago was an ALTP with minimum 500 on twins to even get an answer to a CV.
Upgrade to Captain was not considered until one had 3500 hours TT and 1500 on type.
It seems that times have changed!
If you would like to fly real jets, may I suggest Comair,Emirates,Etihad,1 Time or even SAA.
If you would like to fly a real aeroplane-FLY A HERC!

ARENDIII
15th Jun 2008, 21:01
Herc's will be in demand as regards fuel consumption-russian aircraft are not known for their fuel efficiency.
There is only one way to replace a C-130 and that is to buy two

Jamex
17th Jun 2008, 09:05
Well said AREND111!!! :D:D:D Best aircraft around. The best years of my life were at Safair on Hercs.

Skaz
17th Jun 2008, 23:40
Whats the schedule and basing like for the Herc crews?

Skaz
17th Jun 2008, 23:48
Whats the schedule and basing like for the Herc crews?

Skippie
18th Jun 2008, 06:23
Work 24/7 and based........every forsaken place in good old AFRICA

Jacobest
20th Jun 2008, 21:46
Ok for those interested:

Captain (Jet fleet) : 5000 total time of which 2000 hours must be command time on aeroplanes exceeding 5700kg (12540lbs)

(Prop Fleet) aka c-130: 4000 total time of which 1000 hours must be command time on aeroplanes exceeding 5700kg (12540lbs) You will unfortunately also need 500 hours command on type to fly most of the contracts (UN requirement)

First Officer (Jet fleet): 2000 hours total including 1000 hours on multi engined aeroplanes

(Prop Fleet) : 1000 hours including 500 hours on multi engined aeroplanes.

These requirements are out the SOP, have been like this since I joined (2004) so lets kill the rumour of SAFAIR lowering standards right now.
We all know pilots experience has and always will be about supply and demand, and right now Safair is in demand for pilots. The reasons are a whole new topic, but thats for another day :ok:

Interested parties can email [email protected] or [email protected] (c-130)

Flying pretty much right now about 30 days on and then off for anything between 5 days to 14 days. It all varies depending on the amount of available crew. (C-130's) No idea what the jetjocks are doing at this stage

austin power
25th Jun 2008, 12:01
I sent a resume just a few days ago and I got a reply from Johan and he told me that they required pilots with type ratings. I was applying for the L382 job. I think the way to get a job with them is to go and see them in person. Because of course, they require a South African licence and in order to get that, I think you need a working visa and to be sponsored. I also applied with Transafrik and it's the same. The guys don't just hire like that. I heard that a type rating on a Herc with CAE is around 60 000 Euro, expensive stuff!!

AP

BadAndy
27th Jun 2008, 02:14
Jaco,

Will they hire a soon to be furloughed (redundancy) Yank pilot? How about one that can tolerate that nasty South African brandy and even swear up a storm in Africaans? :} Or are they not quite that desperate yet??? :} Shoot me an email, as the one I have for you got bounced today. Thanks.

Bad (Although becoming more Good in my old age) Andy :E

7Q Off
27th Jun 2008, 02:58
How much they pay for a jet Cap?

Goldfish Jack
27th Jun 2008, 10:25
Was told a week ago, by a director or Imperial Air cargo, the company co-owend by Safair and Comair, that they are actively looking to replace the B27s ASAP with B737-300s - the problem is to find decent low hours ones. They hope to have it done by Sep this year.

Makes sense to me - if Comair have a B737-300 sim it will certainly reduce costs and allow some of their pilots to fly them and maybe the Safair pilots to be absorbed into the Comair B737 operation....

I think they call it economies of scale and the urgent need to replace fuel guzzlers. 5tonnes vs 10tonnes is quiet a fuel saving if you ask me on a CT-JS leg

Jacobest
27th Jun 2008, 12:56
Goldfish, maybe you should contact your director friend and ask him to get his facts straight, especially about who belongs to whom and who co-owns what :ok:

ARENDIII
27th Jun 2008, 16:57
That's easy-even for me. I own nothing-probably because I love flying.

Skaz
28th Jun 2008, 02:47
the email link for Koos doesn't work, FYI

XpressOne
28th Jun 2008, 08:55
Maximus Air Cargo has two L382 L100-30 Hercules operating from Abu Dhabi
Contact [email protected] for further details on pilot opportunities

austin power
29th Jun 2008, 11:42
Scanafrica,

Thanks for your good info about Safair! I like what I heard about it. I'll try to persuade them further and get an interview.

Thanks Again.

AP

Spaced Out
30th Jun 2008, 13:56
Try here Safair :: Contacts (http://www.safair.co.za/?option=3&id=1&com_id=54&parent_id=54&com_task=1)

ARENDIII
8th May 2009, 17:25
Did you ever get employed by Safair?

AAL
8th May 2009, 22:15
Hear Safair has placed a C-130 in EBB Uganda to fly the military support flights for US mercenary outfit Dynacorp between Entebbe and Mogadishu.:eek:

Mogadishu has been eating planes over the last two years. Didnt know that Safair was quite so hardup and scraping the barrel for flying that they would be prepared to do regular flights into Mogadishu.:(

Somalian rebels still take regular pot-shots at the arriving and departing aircraft, regularly lob mortars at landed/parked aircraft, with two Russian aircraft were brought down with RPG fire. It seems that the African Union is helpless to stop the flow of arms to these rebels who now reportedly control two thirds of Mogadishu city/"village":confused:

Any aspirant employee would be well advised to make sure that your life insurance is sorted and paid up to date.:ok: Maybe one way of getting rid of the C-130's.

Malagant
14th May 2009, 11:13
Anybody have some pointers on what is covered during the interview, technical etc?

ELLS
19th Oct 2009, 00:33
Gents,
May be joining Safair on the Herc side soon. Looking forward to it. I read all the posts to this thread, but it seems to have stalled out several months ago. Anyone working at Safair or otherwise care to comment on the current state of things?

Thanks,
ELLS

OCEANIC404
19th Oct 2009, 16:22
The C130 was parked at Wilson Airport-Nairobi.

Cave Troll
20th Oct 2009, 07:35
Aside from Hercs they are operating 737 300 and MD 80 aircraft. I think the 737 are doing the freight flying and the MD 80 is on charter operations.

ct

frobert1
21st Oct 2009, 16:49
Just wondering if anyone had any current info on Safair such as minimums, and license requirements. Thanks

allison
22nd Oct 2009, 07:47
Hey guys,

Safair is still a great company with an amazing bunch of guys. However, over the last few years the red lights have begun to blink, especially on the herky bird side. A/C are up for sale and all the lekker contracts have been replaced with more Africa flying, which from a bush flying point of view is pretty exciting. But the South America, Australia, UK, Dakar and now Ice flights are no longer. Lets all hope it picks up again one day. I fear that management has gained too much momentum in its bid to break up and sell Safair piece by piece.

The minimum requirements for the Herc has dropped considerably, and the training bond has become ridiculous. Your best chance of getting in is through an aviation recruitment site, i forget the name? Lets just say it 'an in house deal'.

As for the interview, of course you will need to know your gen, but they very much focus on hiring the right guy for the type of work, In other words, will you fit in or not? So personal questions are big. If you like contract flying and being away from home isnt too much of a problem, then this is the job for you. Standard of training is good, but the onus is on you too go the extra mile if you wanna get noticed.

Good Luck to All...

Speed, Height, Accelerating...

fastfly
20th Nov 2015, 12:52
Hello Guys.

It seems easier to get a municipal refund from the City of JHB then to get good info on salaries, and more to the point, captain salaries at Safair these days...:uhoh:

I see that Safair is looking for ATR crew...both Captains and Co pilots...any info available on the contract pay scale for aircraft commanders, regardless of aircraft type? I.E. herc, ATR, 737...??

Cardinal Puff
22nd Nov 2015, 18:30
If you're willing to prostitute yourself, whoremongers will always snap at the lure.