PDA

View Full Version : Routes That Dont Exist But Could Be Proiftable To An Airline

Jet22
11th Jun 2008, 18:27
This is the thread where you have you say on routes that you think airlines should do and they are able to make a profit on.

BA-LHR to KUL with a 772 to begin with then move onto a 744
BA-LHR to TPE with a 772 to begin with then move onto a 744

Your suggestions!

Jerbourg
11th Jun 2008, 18:36
GCI - LCY twice daily, early am, dept from London & evening dept. from Guernsey. The route is a sure fire winner with the Guernsey banking community crying out for this service.

mmeteesside
11th Jun 2008, 18:46
Durham Tees - Lanzarote - not offered in the winter - GSM did it last winter and it did very well. Also Jersey in the winter used to work nicely for bmibaby.
Other destinations include Paris, Rome, Verona/Venice, Toulouse, Prague and Geneva which would all be profitable with the right type of aircraft and fare structure.

dbertman
11th Jun 2008, 18:56
Just to be provincial:

DSA to CDG/FRA/AMS with either Air France, Lufthansa or KLM so it is actually possible to fly to a greater range of destinations through connecting flights rather being limited to the small range of lo-co point to point destinations.

northumberlandairway
11th Jun 2008, 18:58
NCL to pretty much anywhere in Germany and Northern Italy. Three times a week would do - we're not greedy. Poland other than Krakow might be good too.

ROSSKi MYT
11th Jun 2008, 18:58
GLA- SFO/ MIA - GSM 767
GLA- JFk- American 757
GLA- SYD- Wantas 744

Skipness One Echo
11th Jun 2008, 19:26
This is the part where spotters with no business acumen spout complete uninformed you mean...........
BA-LHR to KUL with a 772 to begin with then move onto a 744
BA-LHR to TPE with a 772 to begin with then move onto a 744

Lost money and was dropped. BOTH OF THEM.

GCI - LCY
No slots available for a lower yielding route than the current invasion from Edinburgh, Germany and Switzerland.

GLA- SFO/ MIA - GSM 767
GLA- JFk- American 757
GLA- SYD- Wantas 744
The only place Scotland can sell in Florida is Orlando for the kids and Disenyworld.
AA pulled all their JFK long haul B757 ops. MAN was dumped recently.
As for QANTAS B747-400s to Sydney, I mean come on get real. It's a spotters wank fest. Have you seen the price of oil? Even BA are struggling to make real yield on LHR-SYD !

Edited:

mickyman
11th Jun 2008, 19:36
This is a thread started by a 15 year old kid

enough said!

mm

HZ123
11th Jun 2008, 19:54
I find it a bit rich that some of you older people are rude and insulting to a young person. The title of the thread was clear enough, if you have nothing positive to say then go and do something else. Business acumen in my experience of 40 years in aviation has little to do with anything that airlines management use when make decisions, not unlike the government.

Jet 22 you keep putting up the threads.

Jerbourg
11th Jun 2008, 20:22
GCI-LCy would be a high yield route. The Guernsey finance community would swallow a high fare just to avoid using LGW. Believe me.

Also this thread is about what routes we believe should/could be operated your comment about slots "Skipness" is irrelevant..

SOTV
11th Jun 2008, 20:25

enough said!

mm

Bit harsh old boy.

However. How about a 146/TP from Carlisle to London City on a 1/2 out 1/2 in basis daily. Eastern could be a good model for this.

Virgin Trains charge for a 0544 dep/0953arr and a 1808 dep/2143arr the same day a very reasonable £377 business return. They can only charge this rate because of a non existent air alternative.

Of course a local man can do the 90 minute drive and catch the first BA to Heathrow from Newcastle and then slug it out into central London.

Just a thought.

OliWW
11th Jun 2008, 20:44
Similar to Luton Really Ryanair and Thomsonfly both go to Marrakesh and those flights are doing fine: therefore I think that

FR 2x Weekly = East Midlands - Marrakesh
FR 2x Weekly = East Midlands - Malta
FR 2x Weekly = East Midlands - Seville
FR 2x Weekly = East Midlands - Fuerterventura
WW Daily = East Midlands - Dusseldorf
WW Daily = East Midlands - Hamburg
WW 2x Weekly = East Midlands - Mahon

I mean, the chances are very slim, but I believe from EMA long haul is becoming worse and worse, no Puerto Plata flight from 09, however, I believe that a weekly Toronto flight would defentally work, with a operator like Air Transat for example and maybe a New York flight, 2-4 times a week.

Skipness One Echo
11th Jun 2008, 21:03
Also this thread is about what routes we believe should/could be operated your comment about slots "Skipness" is irrelevant..

If you ignore the real world then it's just pure bloody fantasy. How about a route from your-arse to your-elbow ! Or from Barra to Heathrow Terminal 2 on a BA B757. I'd like to see that !

trebor
11th Jun 2008, 21:11
As stated before , this thread was started by a 15 year old.
SKIPNESS :mad::mad::mad:

Mr A Tis
11th Jun 2008, 22:35
Yup much better to leave these things to trained business brains that ran BaCon,Silverjet, Air Wales, AV8, Debonair, Euromanx, Amber Air, Paramount, Air Europe, Dan Air, Emerald, Gill Air, & that's just to name a few UK failures. Some of the ones flying now seem to be making bonkers decisions with the inevitable outcomes on the horizon.
Don't think the 15 year old could do any worse than some of the "brains" out there.
If the lad wants to dream a little & others join in, then its a free country ( at the moment), so let him. Anyhow many airlines do encourage SLF to submit route ideas, so there !!! leave the kid alone:cool:

Edited:

The Real Slim Shady
11th Jun 2008, 22:37
SOTV

Newair looked at Carlisle to Biggin Hill in the 90s.

They claimed they had extensive MR which indicated that every man and his dog would use the service. They offered me a job and I said, No Way Pancho it wont work.

They lasted, maybe, 3 months.

airvanman
12th Jun 2008, 02:17
Oxford - EDI,BHD,DUB,AMS etc, etc.. In a large catchment area doing nothing. Just had the runway done up.

:8Get a few ex SAS cheap -8s, Stick a few PortaKabins together for a terminal, cheap parking, give a nice freindly local service better than the soulless big airports.

Call it Morse Air ;)

Easy as p*ss this airline game! Oh... do keep an eye on the -8 wheels!

wingeel
12th Jun 2008, 02:37
Has AA dumped MAN ? I thought that MAN-ORD had been reduced to 5 x weekly for the winter. Or are you referring to the BOS service ?

jet_air
12th Jun 2008, 05:48
CMB-BLR-DXB A 320/ B 738 Daytime.
BOM-TRZ-SIN A 320/ B 738 Any time.

Both Bangalore and Trichy have huge pottential due to growth in I.T. , Agricultural and Heavy Machinery Sectors. And if any airline realises the pottential in this route then it would hit a Jack Pot !

Bangalore has just opened its New Airport.
And Trichy is undergoing an massive expansion with the Rwy 09/27 beeing extended upto 12,500 feet with already loads of regional operators flying in and out their single aisle jets out of this airport with full capacity.

Jet22
12th Jun 2008, 07:24

enough said!

Cant read then.If you read the thread title it says 'Routes that dont exsist but could be proiftable'

Because i am only 15 dosnt mean i dont understand the basics of Avation world aswell as a bit of the business side.

harrogate
12th Jun 2008, 07:45
Barrow in Furness to anywhere.

One way.

Preferably cheap.

xtypeman
12th Jun 2008, 08:30
To quote the film if you make it they will come and use it. You can make any route work and you can fill aircraft. The trick is being able to make the route pay. Theory also if you have one large chunk of population and you offer a service to another large chunk of population some one will go if the fare is right. Come on with the ideas.

Dont knock a 15 year old. We where all 15 once just some of us it was a long time ago. When i was a fifteen year old i decided i want to work in the airline world. Not bad i have been playing with planes for 30 years now:ok::O:E

AirLCY
12th Jun 2008, 08:54
Jet 22, I agree with you LHRKUL - it was pulled years back by BA, but it should now work on a 772. I guess there are other routes which will make more money ahead of this on the wish list though. Ignore the 15 y/o comments - everyone was 15 once - I was on airliners.net from the age of 16

If the fuel prices weren't so high I'm sure there would be a large number of s/h and l/h routes that would work, but it's pretty limited now. Always a problem with getting premium yields in non LON airports for l/h though which makes anything outside of LON difficult!

I totally disagree with the Flybe and Easyjet LGWMAN comments - Jet2 couldnt make it work, and numbers are in decline due to the train!

More LCY routes would work as it's growing on some routes where other LON airports are in decline, GCI and a better JER should work + a few other european dests.

answer=42
12th Jun 2008, 10:46
There are apparently only two non-stops/day Bangkok - Jakarta: one each Thai and Garuda. Would have thought the market could support much more. I presume there is a restrictive bilateral agreement in force.

Also
Pyongyang - Seoul (only joking)

virgin_cc_wannabe
12th Jun 2008, 10:56
Id have thought a MAN-SFO/LAX could work now. There always seems to be plenty of people transiting either through the MAN-USA routes, or through europe (LHR/CDG/AMS/FRA) to get there. Surely it could support 1 flight on a 4x weekly basis at least!

lauchiemb
12th Jun 2008, 15:58
Isle of Coll to Glasgow (GLA)

Jet22
12th Jun 2008, 16:02
If the fuel prices weren't so high I'm sure there would be a large number of s/h and l/h routes that would work, but it's pretty limited now. Always a problem with getting premium yields in non LON airports for l/h though which makes anything outside of LON difficult!

That is what i am saying. If the fuel prices wasnt as high i think both of those routes could easiley suppourt a 5 weekly 772 flight. LHR-KUL direct does have competition but i think that BA would be able to make it work. LHR-TPE has competition but only from EVA Air direct so i think that BA would be able to make a good job of these two routes if the oil prices wasnt as hight.

LHR hasnt got that many South American Destinations because most either got via MAD(OW) or via FRA(*). I think that it would be nice to SCL added to the destination list with maybe a 3 weekly flight with a 772. Again this is not viable because of the oil prices but if it was do you think it would work.

Appriciation to those who have suppourted me by saying it dosnt matter about your age etc. I just have one thing to say. I aint going to lower my standards and start insulting these old men because at the end of the day they are not worth it. That is there view that all 15 year old dont know nothing let them stick to it i aint bothered. Let me tell them though that us 15YR olds are alot more educated then they think.

dbertman
12th Jun 2008, 16:33
Jet22

I don't want to go off topic too much or cause the masses to turn against us younger lot but I am 21 and I still get the attitude of "he's only 21, what does he know" thrown at me, usually by the likes of middle aged men and women who probably haven't gone through half of the education I have. So I'd just ignore the ignorant b*stards who think just because you are young you aren't allowed to have an opinion.

wingeel
12th Jun 2008, 16:35
I wish I could share your optimism for routes from MAN to the US west coast. It's my local airport, after all ! Unfortunately, I cannot see such a route coming to fruition for the foreseeable future.

You may recall that BA operated a 4 x weekly 767 between MAN and LAX during the early/mid 90's but it did'nt last long. Poor yields in J class, if I'm not mistaken. And, though its not the west coast, AA operated a daily MAN - DFW 767 service roundabout the turn of the millenium which met with a similar fate.
Being so far west, these airports are not going to provide the wealth of US connections that ORD, EWR, ATL and even PHL provide. There would need to be a lot of point to point traffic or connecting traffic to places in the far western US, Mexico, Hawaii and Australasia to make such a service viable. And, in the current climate at least, I just don't see that happening.

Maybe when the 787 is up and running things might change !

GROUNDHOG
12th Jun 2008, 17:02
Mr A Tis - I do agree with your point in general, today's inquisitive 15 year old may just be offering pilots a job in a few years who knows ... though call me cynical but I smell a little wind up here..

Think though about your own comment, regarding the 'people running' the airlines you list as failures in such negative terms. You are totally out of line and here is why.

These are the very people that gave many 'Ppruners' a start in aviation, carried millions of people safely to destinations across the World and created thousands of jobs. Without them 'taking the risk' and 'putting their money where their mouth is' no one would be going anywhere.

In many cases these are the people that started these airlines with help only from loyal teams whilst others did everyting to destroy them. They in the end were the ones that laid awake at night fighting to save their own necks and the jobs of the staff that have given so much only in many cases losing everything in doing what they believed to be right.

There is an old saying " The man that never made a mistake never made anything" and we all get it wrong sometimes.

You ask for some respect for our friend that started this thread, may I as someone that ran one of the airlines you list, please ask for a similar amount of respect from you.

If you are not already a successful airline executive may I suggest you have a go yourself and see what a walk in the park running an airline is ( NOT!!).

Thankyou - rant over.

PS; To refer to Dan Air, Air Europe etc as business failures is very wrong in my view.

Jet22
12th Jun 2008, 17:04
The best idea is to keep all Major West Coast Ops from LHR/LGW (even if it does but people out). I think in todays world with high oil prices it wouldnt be viable at all and i think that they would loose more money then they will actually gain. OK it is nice to see a Airport an hour away from hwere i live get some US west coast ops but i just from a buisness prespective see this as a good long term business idea.

Another idea though would be to maybe divert one of the SFO flights or LAX into MAN to carry onto SFO or LAX. Or is that just a plain stupid idea. I think it is

Caudillo
12th Jun 2008, 17:17
Birmingham (that's BHX for those that insist on it) to the subcontinent. India and Pakistan have services, Bangladesh looks wide open. There is money to be made here.

daz211
12th Jun 2008, 17:38
STN-LAS, Well any Airline would do :ugh:.

fivejuliet
12th Jun 2008, 17:40
SNN-FRA (DLH)
SNN-AMS (KLM or BCY)
SNN-DUB (REA)
SNN-MUC (DLH)
SNN-MAD (IBE)

Bit of a far off list but still!

sunday8pm
12th Jun 2008, 18:08
STN - TFS
STN - FUE
STN - ACE
STN - LPA

How much longer do we have to wait for Ryanair or Easyjet to wake up?

JulietNovemberPapa
12th Jun 2008, 19:06
There are apparently only two non-stops/day Bangkok - Jakarta: one each Thai and Garuda.

Garuda = 1x daily
Thai = 10x weekly

In addition:

Thai AirAsia = 1x daily
Indonesia AirAsia = 1x daily

wingeel
12th Jun 2008, 19:36
Both BHX and MAN could warrant services to Bangladesh.

Two airlines have plans to serve both cities as well as London. Royal Bengal, who have a domestic network within Bangladesh, and Air Sylhet, whose website remains under construction :hmm:. We will just have to wait and see !

BTW, Biman operated a Dhaka - DXB - MAN - JFK service a few years ago using DC - 10 - 30's. Biman continue service into LHR using A310-300's.

Jet22
12th Jun 2008, 19:58
STN - TFS
STN - FUE
STN - ACE
STN - LPA

How much longer do we have to wait for Ryanair or Easyjet to wake up?

Dont you have them provided by a Charter Company? (FCA was the one who i though had a minor base their with a 320 and 321 based)

The Real Slim Shady
12th Jun 2008, 20:05
Ema - Mco
Ema - Bgi
Ema - Las
Ema - Isb
Ema - Pmi
Ema - Ibz
Man - Isb
Man - Bwi
Snn - Bgi
Snn - Anu
Snn - Las

Edit to say : Sorry the capitalisation vanished

ReallyAnnoyed
12th Jun 2008, 20:07
Bah, forget all these routes from the UK. You oddballs on The Island have enough :} No, what we really need is a ten times a day service between SXF and AAL with low cost carriers. And as for profitability? I will save a lot on petrol :E

tristar500
12th Jun 2008, 20:22
Here goes...

These could connect onto the Middle/Far East as well as Asia Pacific and OZ/NZ

EDI-DXB // Emirates
EDI-DOH // Qatar
EDI-AUH // Etihad

-------------------------------------

EDI-MCO // Virgin (as per the GLA Schedule) - Holiday traffic
EDI-ORD // American / United - Business and connecting traffic
EDI-ATL // Delta - Business and connecting traffic
EDI-DFW // American - Business and connecting traffic
EDI-BOS // American / US Airways - Business and connecting traffic

Investment by BAA EDI would be required, something that probably wont be forthcomming in the next few years... Additional airbridges need to be put in place now! However BAA EDI are investing as we speak - in more retail space 'airside'. About to extend the dep lounge outwards to make space for more shops... Great guys, just what the airport needs.... :ugh:

tristar500
12th Jun 2008, 20:26
Oh by the way, NEXT is opening up in the newly extended EDI dep lounge incase anyone needed to buy a suit whilst they were waiting for their flt to ALC :ok:

UFGBOY
12th Jun 2008, 20:26
MAN/NCL

3 M/F
1 SAT
1 OR 2 SUN

VLM or Eastern?

aeulad
12th Jun 2008, 20:39
Jet2.com

Humberside-Alicante
Humberside-Faro
Humberside-Ibiza
Humberside-Malaga
Humberside-Palma
Humberside-Tenerife

Sold in conjunction with Jet2holidays.com

Regards

Mike

OscarTangoRomeo
12th Jun 2008, 21:54
How about London to Livingstone (LVI) 2 x weekly with B767 or A330/A340
Runway was extended last year to 9000ft and its in Zambia next to Victoria Falls which is the adventure capital of Southern Africa. White water rafting and bungee jumping etc Clear blue skies and 21c today!!!

riptack
12th Jun 2008, 23:23
Seville Heathrow, nobody connects the Andalusian capital with heathrow. Surely must be profitable?! connecting through Madrid is a pain.:ugh:

brakedwell
13th Jun 2008, 07:03
Gatwick - Munich

northumberlandairway
13th Jun 2008, 07:33
NCL-TXL/SXF Air Berlin
NCL-BGY Ryanair
NCL-WAW Wizzair
NCL-MAD Ryanair
NCL-MUC with whoever's feeling daft enough

manintheback
13th Jun 2008, 07:39
Heathrow to LCY - pay the pilot on boarding or use an Oyster. gotta be better than the alternatives.

wingeel
13th Jun 2008, 07:41
Is restoring the daily IB MAD - MAN service too much to ask ? Or does a certain other carrier wield a bit of influence here ?

angels
13th Jun 2008, 07:43
Appriciation to those who have suppourted me by saying it dosnt matter about your age etc. I just have one thing to say. I aint going to lower my standards and start insulting these old men because at the end of the day they are not worth it. That is there view that all 15 year old dont know nothing let them stick to it i aint bothered. Let me tell them though that us 15YR olds are alot more educated then they think.

Got to be a troll. :eek:

BOU_PAX
13th Jun 2008, 08:06
BOH-AMS & BOH-MAD for the weekend city break market and for numerous connections to other destinations

BOH-PRG
BOH-CIA
BOH-LPA as a summer destination

OliWW
13th Jun 2008, 08:30
Regarding the Humberside flights, I think that Humberside do need those destinations, but I dont think that Jet2 would consider them because its so close to Manchester and Leeds...

Maybe bmibaby or Easyjet

TwinAisle
13th Jun 2008, 08:52
I dont think that Jet2 would consider them because its so close to Manchester - Maybe bmibaby...

Huh? bmibaby don't fly to MAN then?

:ugh:

0523 cov man
13th Jun 2008, 10:52
can it work cvt to ams dub:O

TwinAisle
13th Jun 2008, 11:12
can it work cvt to ams dub

Why would it? You have BHX just up the road, with baby and KLM to AMS, and EI/FR to DUB.

Have a look at Rigas Doganis' books on Amazon - the stuff about cannibalisation may be useful to you.

TA

Jet22
13th Jun 2008, 14:52
Is restoring the daily IB MAD - MAN service too much to ask ? Or does a certain other carrier wield a bit of influence here ?

Would would imagine that it wont be long before EZY start up MAN-MAD. Or am i wrong?

What about Click Air starting a MAN-BCN service?

FMGLA
13th Jun 2008, 15:56
GLA-BOS, Flyglobespan(if they got their act together, daily is sustainable)
GLA-ORD, AA, UA, GSM
GLA-FRA, This could do well with connecting traffic through Frankfurt for Luthansa.
GLA-CPT, only 2 or 3 weekly, possibly seasonal as well, but i reckon it can be a popular route.
GLA-DTW, Northwest connecting traffic throughout the US could easily sustain this route, even if only 3 or 4 times a week.
GLA-HKG, Cathay Pacific, this is more what I would like than anything else, but would be great if it ever happened.

wingeel
13th Jun 2008, 16:28
Now that Stelios has got a foothold in Manchester, an EZY service to Madrid is not beyond the realms of possibilty although Easyjet may be concerned about its impact on its Liverpool - Madrid operation.
The beauty of a restored Iberia service from MAN would be that - given the right timings - the north of England would have a link to Latin America which would only be bettered by a direct service or an AA link via Miami - neither of which are likely to happen.

BTW - and I'm being diplomatic here - some of the proposals being put forward on this thread are just a little over-optimistic given the challenging period we are going through at the moment:hmm: !

OliWW
13th Jun 2008, 16:28
Going back a few Comments :

Yes bmibaby and Easyjet are both at MAN, however, they arent as big as Jet 2 at MAN, and are more sustainable airlines with the current issues like fuel for future months

TwinAisle
13th Jun 2008, 18:22
It's still cannibalisation!

This thread really is cloud cuckoo land, I'm afraid. How about sending it to Spotters' Corner?

JulietNovemberPapa
13th Jun 2008, 18:42
Yes, Rigas Doganis’ books are very good and are, I believe, fundamental aviation management reading. I have 38 aviation management books and counting, and his are certainly some of the best. However, they really ought to be updated more frequently to ensure relevance and usability. Nevertheless, essential reading.

globetrotter2
13th Jun 2008, 19:38
I second Gatwick to Munich. Since BA pulled out of this busy route, there is no way to get to anywhere in this entire region without going to Heathrow, London City or Stansted - a long, complex journey from south and south east of London by public transport.

There's business all year round, skiing in the winter, holiday travel in summer and MUC is increasingly a hub for onward destinations.

AI101
13th Jun 2008, 19:55
BA LHR - AMD 767/777 DAILY UPGRADE TO 747 IN WINTER
VS LHR - AMD A340 / 747 DAILY

Only Air India flies this route at the moment as Jet Airways puuled this route last year due to aircraft being req'd on other routes through BRU.

Big demand for this flight.

Golf Charlie Charlie
13th Jun 2008, 20:45
I like the LHR/LCY oyster card service idea. Better, let's have an M25 beating service LHR/LTN/STN/LCY/LGW/LHR service round the clock, both directions.

jongeman
13th Jun 2008, 21:58
LGW to MUC

Surprising that there's no connection between south of London and Munich. Perhaps one for EZY.

MAN

Gaping holes in MAN's long-haul network too numerous to mention, there are quite a few destinations I think could be profitable, given the right aircraft and fuel cost! Delhi, Mumbai, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Dhaka to name a few. At least we're seeing Tel Aviv and Gibraltar back on the departure boards again.

Also we no longer have Berlin, Venice, Pisa, Warsaw or Krakow. Geneva in the summer is another one to look forward to.

DispExt
13th Jun 2008, 22:14
LBA to Frankfurt, Wawsaw, Gdansk, Malta (scheduled), Dubai, London City and perhaps Croatia somewhere

Jet22
14th Jun 2008, 07:21
LBA To FRA would work but would have to be provided by LH not anyone else because then that is when it wouldnt work. This would be intresting because if they did they would go up againt the KL LBA-AMS route. Both of these routes have the option to work because most of the LBA-AMS passangers are connecting

LBA to WAW would have to be provided by a LCC. Maybe LS or even Wizz Air. Not Sure

A Few that i know wouldnt work because they are provided over the pennines are DXB(Why have it at LBA when an hour down the road you have 2 daily services) MLA because there is only enought demand for A A320 Charted A/C.

A Few I Would like to see:

LBA to MUC(Provided by LH if the FRA route is a great success)
LBA to ARN(BD they already serve CPH)

Daza
14th Jun 2008, 09:03
Some routes local to me that have either been tried or certainly could have potential are;

Birmingham-Mumbai now TATA have taken over Land Rover and Jaguar.
Birmingham-Chicago maybe a long shot due to Oil and state of US Airlines.
Birmingham-Any Berlin Airport should be considered by BE/LH/WW/FR
Birmingham-Stockholm Arlanda (FR are to commence NYO this month) Birmingham-Athens has been operated before and was well supported.
Birmingham-Istanbul was being planned by TK but all has gone quiet.
Birmingham-Dhaka certainly there would be large local community support.
Birmingham-Middle East destination Ethiad have mentioned BHX.
Birmingham-Orlando/Florida BHX has only 1 SFB flight per week.

East Midlands-Pakistan
East Midlands-India certainly the communities could support BHX and EMA with sub continent services.
Just my thoughts
Daza:ok:

MAN Guy
14th Jun 2008, 09:30
What about MAN-Moscow with SU 2x or 3x weekly. Could be potentially high-yielding as they would be only operator on the route flying all those wealthy Russian business types to and from Manchester, also providing a good direct link for business traffic heading eastwards......good days / times of operation could also appeal to the more discerning city break crowd (!) Would be a nice addition to their recently set up freight operation at MAN......one can but hope for a full SU return to MAN!

jamesp
14th Jun 2008, 09:38
oh well might as well join in.... how about cvt to any of the canaries with a a320 or 757 :)

Jet22
14th Jun 2008, 11:45
CVT to TFS/LPA/ACE would have to be done by a 320 not a 75 and would have to be charterd.

TOM tired a 757 at LBA (simlar ciy size to CVT) and the 757 barley made it past 75% full that is why all charters are now 320 and below. So i think that it would work only it would have to be provided by one the charter companys for the summer season only.

MAN-CAI anyone?
MAN-IAD maybe?
MAN-YYZ possible?

comet 4b623PW
14th Jun 2008, 11:49
Since we are into the realms of fantasy South East Regional Airways (known as British Airways in some parts of the country).

Morning departures from Birmingham and Manchester to Dubai using Boeing 777's, arrive within minutes of each other. Use Dubai as a mini hub, send aircraft onwards, one to Hong Kong the other to Singapore.

Base another 777, (yes another) to fly from Manchester to cities in Pakistan ie Islamabad, Karachi and Lahore.

Two Boeing 767 to North American destinations MAN-JFK & MAN-LAX.

Finally use a Boeing 757 for BHX-JFK and purchase Flybe Birmingham & Manchester orginating routes.

Oh! then perhaps it could call itself British Airways especially if it started some Scottish routes as well.

PPRuNe Pop
14th Jun 2008, 12:13
I think we thought that this thread might achieve something.....but, alas, no. It is nothing more than a fantasy vehicle for those who wish to play at running airlines. Reality is one thing, virtuality is quite another!

It is going to spotters but not for long. :ugh: :=

AA&R Mods.

Skipness One Echo
14th Jun 2008, 12:14
Well we have a winner for most unlikely to happen plan then !:)

Jet22
14th Jun 2008, 17:26
Wasnt me who was fantasising infact i came up with some sensiable suggestions so now that everyone if really going on about fantasty well here we are

If things wasnt in the climate they are i wouldnt mind seeing BA start things up from Nrothern Irealand with maybe a few domestic to start with and a few international. A319/A320.

Then move onto the usual international(FRA/MUC/CDG/AMS/MAD/
BCN/LIS/FCO/MXP/GVA/ZRH/NCE/ATH/IST/LCA/AGP/ALC/TFS/ACE) with 320's and 321's and start Long Haul (basing 777-2 at BFS).JFK/IAD/SFO/
LAX/ORD/DXB. There we are.
Also while there at it start up ops from MAN GLA and EDI. Maybe call the nothern part of there ops Northern Airways and run it as they ran GB. All A/C in same livery except Uniform/Salarys/Magegmant is all ran under someone else.

The SSK
14th Jun 2008, 18:14
If you spotters want to play at being airline managers, you might like to do a bit of research. There are websites out there which are run by professionals for professionals which include real airports touting for business on real routes.

One of them spams me regularly, I have no association with it, but if the mods will let it pass its name is 'anna' dot 'aero'.

Neither airports nor airlines are oblivious to new route opportunities, believe me.

britmuc
15th Jun 2008, 08:52
LGW to MUC
I second Gatwick to Munich. Since BA pulled out of this busy route, there is no way to get to anywhere in this entire region without going to Heathrow, London City or Stansted - a long, complex journey from south and south east of London by public transport.

There's business all year round, skiing in the winter, holiday travel in summer and MUC is increasingly a hub for onward destinations.

I agree .... bring it back, most definately demand for this service!

OliWW
15th Jun 2008, 08:52
Thomsonfly still use a EMA based B752 to LBA quite a bit this summer, I think theres a ALC, CFU, and 2x PMI which they use a B752 on... I may be wrong, But im defentally sure for ALC and CFU

Mooncrest
15th Jun 2008, 10:45
OliWW,

The LBA ThomsonFly flights this summer are non-based 737-800s. Don't know where they are based. Could be East Midlands or Doncaster.

DispExt
15th Jun 2008, 11:52
why have it at LBA when an hour down the road their are 2 daily services?

- surely you could say that about all routes served from both LBA and MAN?

Dairyground
18th Jun 2008, 18:45
From post #32:
"Another idea though would be to maybe divert one of the SFO flights or LAX into MAN to carry onto SFO or LAX. Or is that just a plain stupid idea. I think it is"

Thirty years or so ago BA used to do something similar at the other end. The LHR-LAX flight (747-100) continued on to SFO, so the idea isn't completely crazy.

Other multi-stop flights could also make sense. For example late evening LHR-MAN-GLA or LHR-NCL-EDI by BA could be make it possible to do a full afternoon's work on the continent and still get to the outer reaches of the kingdom the same day with full service, while allowing BA to carry a fairly full load out of LHR.

Other routes where a UK carrier should be able to make a profit include Osaka (or possibly even better Kobe) in Japan and Korea. And how about potential growth tourist destinations such as urumqi and Xian in China. An entry point in Western China could give much shorter travel times than going through Beijing or Shanghai.

G-STAW
21st Jun 2008, 20:14
i agree,

i dont know why manchester doesnt push for more 'through' routes, ie like saudia already operates RYD-GVA-MAN-GVA-RYD, ok its only getting on average 100px per flight, but you know what i mean.

Looks at Qantas for instance, im sure they could come up from LHR and operate a LHR-MAN-SYD service, same as Virgin, they could do a LHR-MAN-SFO routing......

i think it could work.....

G-STAW

TwinAisle
21st Jun 2008, 21:14
i dont know why manchester doesnt push for more 'through' routes..... ok its only getting on average 100px per flight

Well that's a great example of someone answering their own question!

im sure they could come up from LHR and operate a LHR-MAN-SYD service, same as Virgin, they could do a LHR-MAN-SFO routing......

I'm sure they could, but why would they? Landings cost money, and it seems that their passengers are happy to travel to them....

TA

david.g
25th Jun 2008, 20:10
what about blk-lon, was some talk of blk-lcy or has that died a death?!

Skipness One Echo
26th Jun 2008, 10:49
It amazes me the limited memory span of punters on here. For example why don't QANTAS serve Manchester with a B744 onwards from Heathrow. They used to but found a more profitable way of doing it. They code share on the BA shuttle so they still get the same passengers but don't have to fly a Jumbo on a short haul route to get them !

It's the same reason BA serve so few routes in Asia, they are served onwards from the hubs of their Oneworld partner airlines like JAL and QANTAS.

For the multi landing questions of London flights routing via MAN, that would be commercial suicide as the London market is highly competitive and you want to run a flight that isn't NON STOP and takes over an hour more????? Really?

As for BLK-LCY, that would stand less chance than the recently axed NCL and BHD let's be honest.

joniveson
26th Jun 2008, 12:04
A flight from Okinawa that's early enough to make a connection with a Europe bound flight in Tokyo or Osaka would make me happy. I always seem to end up losing a day of my trip with an overnight stay in a Japanese airport hotel.

boredcounter
1st Jul 2008, 22:34
BHX-TXL
BHX-ARN

Both 2 x daily week days with VB

BHX-ATH 1 x daily week days with VB

Alas, I believe we (VB) operated more profitable routes, both as BA and duo

Bored

Ringwayman
2nd Jul 2008, 18:40
Are we forgetting that when QF withdrew, BA in their infinite wisdom decided to operate 737s with flight numbers QF10A/QF9A, overnighting at LHR. BA withdrew those services after a year (or less) as it was "competing with it's own shuttle service"?

I would forget about operating LHR-MAN-anywhere: if there's to be Australia to be featured on the departure board for MAN, a routing along the lines of MAN-BOM-SYD giving an opportunity to market 3 sectors should become profitable I've seen some comments on other forums suggesting that SQ operating MAN-BOM was profitable when they routed some of their services through there)