PDA

View Full Version : The transition from PPL to ATPL theory

Shiver me timbers!
9th Jun 2008, 23:25
i.e. Trevor Thom vs Oxford vs Jeremy Pratt

Hello fellow PPRuNers :ouch:

Although I understand the issue of 'which books' to be very subjective, I wanted to discuss my situation a little further.

I am about to commence the theory side of the PPL with the intention of studying for the ATPL's next year. Whilst I understand that you should (I will!) enjoy the PPL as much as possible before the more serious stuff starts to kick in, I would like to be prepared (a little) for the ATPL's. Therefore, the question I pose is which set will provide me with the smoothest transition from PPL -> ATPL theory?

I am feeling Oxford (simply because of what I've read about the depth of their ATPL books), but wondered as to what depth Thom and Pratt go?

What do you think? :eek:

Cheers,

Dave :)

Whirlygig
9th Jun 2008, 23:35
The style and verbiage of the Trevor Thom books will prepare you for te dryness of it all!!

Cheers

Whirls

Greg2041
10th Jun 2008, 09:04
I've signed-up for the PPL/ATPL theory with CATS. Good news from a continuity point of view as the style is the same.

www.cranfieldaviation.com (http://www.cranfieldaviation.com)

Meant to add that they produce their own PPL/ATPL reading material.

Best wishes

Greg

Wodka
10th Jun 2008, 19:58
Oxford's books are great but are sometimes heavily over detailed for the exams... good if you want to spend your time and soak it all up. Bristol is more concise, exam focused.

Enjoy your free time now, cos you about to loose it! :eek:

Good luck :ok:

nnhy
12th Jun 2008, 11:16
where can i get copies of the oxford books besides enrolling for their course. just want to read up for knowledge. not doing the atpl theory now.

THanks

Another TD
12th Jun 2008, 12:03
Currently doing the Oxford ATPL distance learning phase 2, exams in July.Whilst at OAA I bought the new ppl manuals as a gift and I have to say they are excellent.They go beyond ppl,the met and law books answer many atpl questions. The manuals are more expensive than the Air pilot Manual series but are just stunning and so will impress your family and friends !
Recommend Bristol ground school notes for ATPL exams,often found on ebay just search ATPL.

audimatt
12th Jun 2008, 20:03
Hi, how are you finding CATS? Im just about to sign up to there CPL course so I can instruct? Iv used there demo on HP which seems quite good, and im thinking about doing the the CPL+ to include the books, have yours arrived? Are you doing the full ATPL?

Regards

Matt

XXPLOD
12th Jun 2008, 21:07
I'm in a similar boat to Audimatt. Very interested to hear feedback on CATS, although I've certainly heard nothing bad to date.

Cheers!