PDA

View Full Version : Building Hours in USA

CaptainTC
9th Jun 2008, 19:47
Hi this might be a stupid question but here it goes. Would i be able to go to the USA and build my Flying hours up to a certain extent then return to the UK and have all my tests and hopefully pass and get my PPL?

al1975
9th Jun 2008, 19:53
you can do the test for a uk ppl in the states as well. will be cheaper and cos of the weather will probably be less frustrating.

selfin
9th Jun 2008, 20:00
Waste of money. Complete the JAR-FCL PPL syllabus and, presuming you would build hours to be eligible for a JAR-FCL CPL or IR, complete the theoretical knowledge course and associated exams prior to building hours. The airfares to the US will be cheaper once the CPL/IR/ATPL exams are completed.

The hour building stage is imho the most disastrous. Seek the guidance of an experienced professional JAR-FCL holder, preferably an instructor with CPL-teaching time, and do it properly. Tearing around on your own with a vanilla PPL is fruitless. Conduct each flight thoroughly as though it were a public transport flight (presuming as above) and you'll be in good standing for the CPL/IR modules.

nh2301
9th Jun 2008, 21:17
JAA PPL is a waste of money. Spend it on an FAA certificate.

al1975
9th Jun 2008, 22:00
why is jaa ppl a waste of money?

nh2301
10th Jun 2008, 02:10
Because you can fly the same airplanes with the FAA ticket, but it costs less money, never expires, includes a night rating and lets you start flying as soon as you pass the checkride.

BHenderson
10th Jun 2008, 04:47
FAA PPL has my vote.

belleh
10th Jun 2008, 16:26
Because you can fly the same airplanes with the FAA ticket, but it costs less money, never expires, includes a night rating and lets you start flying as soon as you pass the checkride.

Can you fly in JAA airspace with this?

nh2301
10th Jun 2008, 17:30
Yes. N reg or G reg.

CaptainTC
10th Jun 2008, 18:38
So what you are saying is that i should go for an FAA licence? And i can use this in JAA airspace?

IRISHPILOT
10th Jun 2008, 19:40
that is correct. There is a similar thread running where someone quotes the relevant paragraphs and additional information by Keygrip.

There are few limitations (but not relevant to you, as you want to go on to CPL level) with an ICAO PPL in the UK. Just make sure you get the FAA RT licence to legally use the FAA licence outside US airspace.

The JAA PPL is more than a waste of money. It is also a waste of time and when you get your CPL, you loose it. The FAA PPL is valid for life, even if you never renew it. Every JAA ATPL theory provider is happy with it for commencing training and it is another licence to show on your CV. People do the JAA PPL because they cannot get the time off, ignorance, sentimental reasons or if money really doesn't matter at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide. IP.

CaptainTC
11th Jun 2008, 11:00
Ahh i understand, thanks for the advice :)