PDA

View Full Version : Time Away from home or alternative career

bubble0seven
9th Jun 2008, 19:40
Hi,

I have been on here, read the threads about the doom and gloom, taken some with a pinch of salt and digested the rest. I have little fear about the future as I work in a cut throat industry and have managed to make it near the top with dignity and honour.

I hav planned the courses, when and where and got the xl pread sheet on the go overtime and have planned a self sponsored route over 30 months, moneys going into the savings accounts.................................................... ...........

The only thing that has now potentialy changed my mind ( and infact was the catalyst to changing career ) is the time away from home!

I am only realy home every other weekend currently...... didn't know pilots were similar! can anyone confirm this?

I can handle paying £50-80k for the courses, hunting for work etc and I beleive you make your own luck so I know i'll make it!

But can you confirm that I will be away as much and if lucky ill earn £20-40k for years before a break? ((i currenly earn £100K!))

XXPLOD
9th Jun 2008, 20:43
I've gone through similar thought processes and have reached the conclusion that taking the ATPL plunge is just too great a financial risk. Partly the lack of earning whilst training (with a large mortgage etc...) and also the near certain paycut for several years. I'm not on your wages, but a look at e.g. Flybe payscales (who are one of the better payers I understand) will show you what a TP FO will earn.

When you add in sacrificing my final salary pension (two thirds final salary for life, retire at 51, much obliged) - my sums just don't add up.

If you're on £100K now, you're in for one seriously big lifestyle change for quite some time.

bubble0seven
10th Jun 2008, 05:14
not fussed about money, just need to know the likley amount your away from home!!

rons22
10th Jun 2008, 09:23
bubble0seven or probably 007, if you are on 100K you must be bright and easily work out that you will be away a lot unless you fly turbo-props and earn peanuts all your life.

The only thing that has now potentialy changed my mind ( and infact was the catalyst to changing career ) is the time away from home! lol

DON'T say this in airline job interview if you ever go for one

JB007
10th Jun 2008, 10:01
You can make these choices yourself, maybe eventually when you've some experience you can apply to airlines that will give you the lifestyle you want, in the short term you may have to just go with the flow...the ATPL is a long term commitment.

The turbo-prop operator I worked for nightstopped me twice a week, not usually anymore than that for 1 night at a time.