PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Canadian ATPL to South African

BushCaptain
9th Jun 2008, 19:31
Anyone know if you can convert a Canadian ATPL to South African ATPL?

V1... Ooops
11th Jun 2008, 00:12
I don't know what the specific answer is for South Africa, but I have learned that in general, regulatory authorities will 'convert' (issue a license on the basis of a foreign license) Private and Commercial licenses - and sometimes even Instrument Ratings - if the regulations of the two countries are very closely matched, but I have never, ever heard of any country that will 'convert' an ATPL.

The very least that I think you will be required to do - in any country - will be to complete an initial type rating checkride, probably in a multi crew aircraft (or level C or D simulator) before a country would issue you with an ATPL on the basis of an equivalent foreign qualification.

Hope this general information helps.

Youngback
22nd Jun 2008, 07:58
Just finished converting my TCCA ATPL to an FAA ATPL. 40 question exam. No checkride. They verify your license and IR with your home Airman licensing authorities and issue an ATPL based on that. The US and Canada are the only 2 countries where it is that easy from what I understand.

Smelly Mlahi
22nd Jun 2008, 14:34
As of Jan 2008, to convert to a SA ATPL, you will need to sit three exams and a flight test. Exams are;

Law and Procedures
ATP Flight Planning
ATP Meteorology

Flight test must be on a twin turbine, not neccessarily multi crew.

As in the past you can still just validate your foreign licence. Involves sitting the law and procedures exam, and a flight test. But the flight test must still be on a twin turbine, and the validation is not renewable after 12 months.

DC3Mishkey
22nd Jun 2008, 18:02
maybe write all seven exams. Not the easiest in the world.