PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Nav Exercises

greekboy
8th Jun 2008, 14:19
Hi all

Currently hour building and just needed advise on some recommended cross-country routes out of Shoreham(250-300 nm trips). Need to work on my Nav before the cpl/ir....

Thanx in advance

GB

CABUS
8th Jun 2008, 14:38
Hello buddy, I did my hour building at Thurxton this time last year and found that a great place for the 300nm was to Dunkeswell then down to Lands End (St Just). When you get there spend the day at Sennen beach then fly back, absolute cracker!! That way it would take you through SOU airspace you could then navigate past Bournemouth, Yeovil, Exeter and the Dartmoor danger area then poss do some VOR practice tracking to LND. Depending on where you are doing your CPL/IR could be an idea to try to fly in that direction more during you hour building.

Best of Luck:ok:
CABUS

Leezyjet
9th Jun 2008, 22:24
Looking at the chart, Gloustershire and Coventry are worth a visit if you fancy going that way, you could go via MID, CPT, DTY VOR's into Coventry, then down to Gloustershire (good cafe there too) then back to Shoreham via Brize/Lyneham MATZ. Coventry has a great mix of traffic too from light a/c, to old timers like the DC-3 and modern jets like B737's.

Headcorn in Kent is nice, and so is Old Buckenham if you fancy a trip into Suffolk. Routing via MAY, DET, CLN VOR's on the way there. You can get some decent height in that part of the world too and fly flight levels !!!. Also nice to fly over Mildenhall and Lakenheath to have a nosy at the Yanks !!. You could also route from OB back to Shoreham overhead Duxford then via BKY and BPK VOR's under the Luton/Stansted CTA then around the London CTR which is actually much easier than it looks on the chart.

Those routes should stretch the nav skills a bit.

:}

Nashers
9th Jun 2008, 22:40
some places i would say are a good trip are:

clacton (great pub for lunch 10 minutes walk from the airfield)
headcorn (buy a leg of lamb get the landing free)
coventry (a few jet movements there)
duxford (pleanty planes to look at there)
old buckenham (they were fixing it up when i went and looked good)

places near u as well like

bembridge (nice beach for lunch a short cab ride away)
lydd (some realy pretty blonds that take your landing fee)
manston (quite a few training jets and cargo 747s around there. nice long runway as well)

have fun!

greekboy
10th Jun 2008, 10:30
Hi again

Thanx for all your experiences.Yes, headcorn is great.Been there few times and used to jump there too.I will do some easy ones first so I can grow a pair...... then tackle the more demanding ones.:ok:

Thanx again

Gb

Morgo
10th Jun 2008, 12:43
Is that 300NM all in, or one way? If the latter then you could consider Berlin Tempelhof. Good excuse to get this airfield in your logbook before it closes in October.

I did the trip from Shoreham about 3 weeks ago: EGKA - EGMD (for cheap fuel) - KONAN and then more or less DCT EDDI

You get to travel through a variety of interesting airspace (B in Belgium, D in Germany), cross several FIRs and have the fun of hearing lots of accents on the radio.