PDA

View Full Version : US embassy attacks plane tax plan

heli_port
8th Jun 2008, 06:41
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7441450.stm

The US embassy in London has criticised a government plan to tax airlines on each plane rather than each passenger, from November next year.

In a letter leaked to the Daily Telegraph the embassy disputes the Treasury case that the change is aimed at lowering CO2 emissions.
It says the new tax appears to be just a way of generating extra revenue, and could breach international laws.
The Treasury denies it is proposing any tax which could be considered illegal.

The embassy letter expresses the "deep concern" of the US government with the Treasury's plans.

It lists a number of international agreements that it says would be breached by the new tax

The Americans also say there's no evidence of any environmental benefit, as the extra millions raised would simply go into the government's coffers.

Tax doubled

The Treasury's new tax will vary, depending on the size of the aircraft and how far it is travelling.

Airlines estimate that under the proposed tax change, the tax payable on a flight from the UK to the US could more than double to £100 per person.
The Government says the new tax will help cut emissions, by discouraging airlines to fly planes that are half empty.

But critics say that the tax will not affect budget airlines - as they normally fill their planes to capacity.
There are also fears that airlines will avoid British airports - choosing instead to operate from other European airports where they will not be subject to the tax.

411A
8th Jun 2008, 08:10
Hmmm, it would appear to me that the UK government is right and truly on the path to stamp out commerical aviation althgether, not that it would matter, of course, as folks will wink as they pass over in the flight levels, headed for somewhere...anywhere else.:}

Open Skies, as I recall, plans to start from Paris.
Perhaps this is just as well, thereby avoiding the UK althgether.
Rather good planning on BA management's part.

corsair
8th Jun 2008, 08:21
But critics say that the tax will not affect budget airlines - as they normally fill their planes to capacity.
There are also fears that airlines will avoid British airports - choosing instead to operate from other European airports where they will not be subject to the tax.

They certainly would and give a price advantage to airlines flying to places other than Britain. Goodbye tourists. Or transatlantics could terminate at Shannon and the passengers dispersed to Britain via Easyjet and Ryanair. Heathrow would have grass growing out of the cracks on the runway. OK I exaggerate.:) But......

Dysonsphere
8th Jun 2008, 08:50
Also note it applies to freighters as well that should kill the freight bussiness dead in the water it will all go to Schiphol etc and be trucked over causeing even more pollution the goverment will end up losing money over this daft idea.

Dream Land
8th Jun 2008, 10:30
The Government says the new tax will help cut emissions

Agree Dysonsphere, appears to me as a poorly thought out ploy to collect money, nothing to do with emissions.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th Jun 2008, 10:49
appears to me as a poorly thought out ploy to collect money, nothing to do with emissions.

What, do you mean that the Government may have been telling porkies all this time and the whole global warming/emissions/green issue is just a scam to raise more money by the huggy fluffy, kaftan wearing element of Nooo Labour?

Pull the other one!!!

I'm off to burn some fuel, contribute to carbon emmisions and make some noise in my aeroplane!!!:ok:

Karma man:yuk:

Pandy
8th Jun 2008, 15:07
Pure guess but could this be something to do with the theory that the
average age of US mainline fleets are older than the average Brit fleets and therefore US airlines are being disadvantaged.